Gary Rodgers

Default Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1's

2003 Mustang -

I had a set of JBL GTO 8606c (6x8) components up front in my stang - They're
loud (a good rock speaker), but the highs were harsh (and the crossover is
not adjustable). Overall, I just wasn't happy with 'em (they're being run
by the front 2 channels of an Alpine MRV-F540 amp - getting 87 watts each
RMS when the car is running). Like I said, they were loud. So, I set off
to find a set of 6.5" components...

I scored a deal on a set of Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1's (under $200 -
delivered). Many folks here - and on a couple of other boards - have said
the tweets are just too harsh on them. Well here's my take....

Install (in the Stang)

Mid-Bass - Pain in the butt. Metra 6x8 adapters wouldn't work (after all is
said and done, I'm happy they didn't tho). I ended up fabricating an
adapter out of 1/2" MDF. It gave a nice solid mount - *BUT* the door panel
then wouldn't seat...aargh. On the inside of the door panel of the mustang
there's an oval molded into it that kind of "seals" (i use the term loosely)
around the stock speaker - I used a cutoff wheel on the dremel and trimmed
this piece down (it's about 1/2" high) but about 1/16" thick in an oval
shape. Voila - door panel seats perfectly.

Tweeters - Made a mounting bracket out of thin ABS to mount the tweets in
the stock tweeter pods on the sail panel. Piece of cake! (or so I
thought) - when I went to put the pod covers back on....they won't fit back
on -- the tweets stick out too far. Still haven't solved this one - but I
will today.

Crossovers - These things are *very* nice and well made - but they're HUGE.
I had heard that some (most) folks think the aluminum tweets in this set are
way to bright, so I wanted to have the crossovers accessible for adjusting /
tuning. They wouldn't fit in the kick panels, they wouldn't fit up by the
firewall, and I didn't want them under the seats because they would be
inaccessible - and I didn't want to mount them in the trunk because I'd have
to rewire...(no way). I mounted my previous set of crossovers in the door
(before I knew better). I opted for the glove box - they're a PERFECT fit
in the glove box, side by side. I set them initially at -4db, expecting the
worst. BTW - if you wanted to mount these in the door panels, there are
pieces of styrofoam that could be carved to make room for them - but I
didn't have enough wire running from the amp, and I *hate* butt
connectors... Besides, in the stang, the glove box gives you easy access.
I secured them with velcro - although 3M double sided body-tape would work
as well...(good luck getting them out, though).

Review
The mid-bass have a low threshold of 75hz - and have found that number to
be right on. I set the lp filter on my amp to 75 and it sounds great. The
mid-bass response is excellent, better than the JBL's they replaced
(although the JBL's DID play lower). I think the excellent mid-bass respons
is mainly due to the mdf mounting bracket which I sealed with some dynamat.
Tweeters were NOT harsh - matter of fact, I had to change the jumpers on the
crossovers to 0db. They're *still* not as harsh as the JBL's were. They
have a +5db setting as well, but you *don't* want to go there...The +5db
setting may work well if the tweets were way off-axis, however.

The Perfect's are not as efficient as the JBL's - but I didn't expect them
to be. They seem to like power. I may bridge my MRV-F540 and run only the
front stage (and ditch the rear fill) as an experiment.

Sound Quality
I *LOVE* this set. They are *MUCH* more pleasing than the JBL's I took out.
I can't say it more... It was WELL worth the time and effort, and for $200
it is "da bomb." Here are some observations...
AC/DC Back in Black - this is the fun stuff. It sounds good no matter what
you're playing it through - not much difference except the vocals weren't
"lispy" as compared to the JBL's.
Marc Cohn - Some beautiful piano work here. The JBL's just never reproduced
it well (my ears), but the Perfects are "dead on" - the piano SOUNDS like a
piano.
Mary Chapin Carpenter Stones in the Road - Again, piano sounds like a piano
...excellent. Her voice is beautiful, and the mix really highlights it.
Voice reproduction is stellar. Very pleasing, no harshness. Heads and
shoulders above the JBL's.
Kid Rock - Need I say more? Would you really notice a difference?
Styx Classics - the Perfects *absolutely shine* on this album - although I
did notice some harshness on the live cut of "Miss America" - but it's the
mix, I'm sure.

Conclusion
Contrary to many opinions that I've read, I find this set to be outstanding.
Yes, I wish they played a few hz lower, but I knew that going it - a
subwoofer is an absolute MUST with this set.

These speakers are a *steal* at $200 - But do *not* pay list price ($549).
Granted I don't have experience with higher-end components - but these
really put the JBL's to shame on accuracy. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate
the JBL's. As a matter of fact, if you need 6x8's, and your a "rock and
roller" - the JBL 8606c's may just be the speaker for you.

The tweeters are nowhere near as harsh as some folks have reported - I find
a nice even response - but then again I've got 42 year old, electric guitar
hampered ears... :-)

Install took 5 hours (I took my time, and was meticulous about everything)
from start (pulling the car into the garage), to finish (putting the last
piece of wire snipping into the trash). USE MDF but WATCH the clearances if
you're putting them in the Mustang. They mid-basses are NICE pieces,
top-mounting depth is not what will kill you...it's how far these drivers
sit up from the bracket (about 1/2").

All in all, this was a worthwhile investment.

Gary
pick my nose to reply

Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig

All in all, this was a worthwhile investment.

Gary
pick my nose to reply

Excellent writeup Gary, very informative. Thanks!

jp