Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jbrey21@gmail.com is offline

Default ALTEC LANSING 605A's

Dear Group,

I am looking for information, anecdotes, experience, opinions or
anything else regarding these speakers from the early 1960's. They
are 15" coaxial loudspeakers and sound very nice.

I found an old set not used in 35 years in a large console stereo from
this era and took the speaker drivers and original crossover networks
out of these huge boxes (furniture). I'm looking for info regarding
who may be able to build me some smaller cabinets for these, or maybe
something stock I can use that would be suitable for near or mid-
field.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
philper philper is offline

On Sep 18, 8:01 am, wrote:
Dear Group,

I am looking for information, anecdotes, experience, opinions or
anything else regarding these speakers from the early 1960's. They
are 15" coaxial loudspeakers and sound very nice.

I found an old set not used in 35 years in a large console stereo from
this era and took the speaker drivers and original crossover networks
out of these huge boxes (furniture). I'm looking for info regarding
who may be able to build me some smaller cabinets for these, or maybe
something stock I can use that would be suitable for near or mid-
field.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

The 605s I used had very large cabinets--they were usually painted
silver and the opening for the speaker grille cloth had curved
corners. They were very common in studios in the old days, and I too
liked them a lot. Maybe you can find a diagram somewhere that shows
how the cabinets were constructed--the internal
baffling is a large part of how they sounded.

Philip Perkins
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:

I am looking for information, anecdotes, experience, opinions or
anything else regarding these speakers from the early 1960's. They
are 15" coaxial loudspeakers and sound very nice.

Okay, there are two things that were called the 605. The first was actually
a walnut cabinet designed for the 604 loudspeaker, made early on. The second
one was a low cost driver that was adapted from the 604 design.

Here is the orignal manual that came with them:
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...945-duplex.htm

I found an old set not used in 35 years in a large console stereo from
this era and took the speaker drivers and original crossover networks
out of these huge boxes (furniture). I'm looking for info regarding
who may be able to build me some smaller cabinets for these, or maybe
something stock I can use that would be suitable for near or mid-
field.

The bad news is that the console was probably worth more than the speakers
are alone.

What you have to realize is that all of these drivers were designed before
modern loudspeaker theory existed, so if you look at the T-S parameters
and try and fit the speaker to a standard alignment, it can be a little
weird. Not bad, just different than what you're used to.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...1968-plans.htm
has general dimensions for one of the more common Altec duplex cabinet
designs, which is the sort of thing you'd often find 604s and 605s in.

From Altec Technical Letter 267B:
Xmax: 0.15 in.
9.30 ohms DC
Vd: 19.20 cu in.
Fs: 30.30 Hz
Vas: 14.33 cu ft.
Ref: 4.00%
Qts: 0.25
Qms: 3.01
Qes: 0.27
Vid: 0.33

A 604 driver will have an Fs more like 27 Hz and a Vas more like 16 cu ft.
but they are close enough you could get by with the same cabinet as a first
cut.