Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Anybody Know TiVo?

I picked up an old TiVo hard disk video recorder from a local
FreeCycler just for the fun of it. While I have no interest in signing
up for a full subscription (I don't have cable TV) I thought that
perhaps it could replace my tired VHS VCR. I've figured out what I
need to know in order to do that and I'm pleased with how it works.
There are a couple of (actually related) things I'd like to fix with
it and I'm stuck. Maybe someone here is into hacking these things
(preferably about 5 years ago since this is an old model, a Sony
DVR-2000) or is a better web searcher than I am.

The immediate problem at hand is that its clock/calendar is currently
about 13 minutes fast. It expects to be connected to a phone line and
make a daily phone call (to lord only know where or to what number) to
do such TiVo things as get the latest program information, update its
software, see that the account is in good standing, and set the
clock.

There's no menu selection to set the clock since it does this with the
daily phone call. There is a way to set it by getting into an
operating system (Linux) command shell. I've found a web page with
instructions on how to connect up a PC, get to the shell, and use the
settime command. I've done this, and I get as far as the "debug" menu,
but it shows the shell as just appearing after booting, and that isn't
happening on my unit. I'm looking at:

http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_accessbash.php

From a couple of other references to the Bash shell that I've run
across, I suspect that this (as above) only happens after a
modification has been made to a startup file, which requires
connecting the TiVo's disk drive to another computer, but that
procedure isn't clear enough (from what I've found so far) that I want
to get into it.

That weethet web site also has instructions for what I thought would
bypass the annoying notice that the recorder hasn't had its daily
phone fix. I can do this with the menu I can access, and have done so
and confirmed that the change was saved, but it doesn't seem to have
changed the start-up operation.

http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_disablecallsetup.php

Maybe someone can help me out here, or you're curious enough and a
better web searcher than I am to point me in another direction.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Whealy Chris Whealy is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

From a couple of other references to the Bash shell that I've run
across, I suspect that this (as above) only happens after a
modification has been made to a startup file, which requires
connecting the TiVo's disk drive to another computer, but that
procedure isn't clear enough (from what I've found so far) that I want
to get into it.

That weethet web site also has instructions for what I thought would
bypass the annoying notice that the recorder hasn't had its daily
phone fix. I can do this with the menu I can access, and have done so
and confirmed that the change was saved, but it doesn't seem to have
changed the start-up operation.

http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_disablecallsetup.php

Maybe someone can help me out here, or you're curious enough and a
better web searcher than I am to point me in another direction.

I looked at getting one a while back as a cheaper alternative to a Sky
subscription (in the UK). Basically, TiVo recorder is a PC running
Linux that can record and retrieve TV programs from the local hard disk.
However, it turns out that there are several limitations with them:
o They're not made any more; consequently, the only tech support is
from a small but dedicated group of TiVo devotees and hackers
o At the time I checked, TiVo systems did not support HD
o You can only receive free to air program content - which excludes
almost everything transmitted by Sky

On the plus side, the user interface is much nicer and more intuitive
than on a Sky HD system (don't know if you receive Sky content in the US)

In the end, I opted to buy a Sky HD system simply because I don't have
the time to do my own tech support for a TiVo box.

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Chris Whealy wrote:

In the end, I opted to buy a Sky HD system simply because I don't have
the time to do my own tech support for a TiVo box.

Very good, but how is that relevant to my question?

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

Chris Whealy wrote:

In the end, I opted to buy a Sky HD system simply because I don't have
the time to do my own tech support for a TiVo box.

Very good, but how is that relevant to my question?

It's a does of friendly banter over a cup of tea or coffee.

Of course, Chris being decently informed suggests you have your
retirement cut out for you with your new toy. g

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam