Posted to rec.audio.pro
Weekend Warrior Weekend Warrior is offline

Default WTB used recording console

I'm looking to buy a used mixer to compliment my Alesis HD24XR
recorder.

There's a 32ch Soundcraft Ghost (not the LE version) being offered
locally for $1,900. Any known issues with that mixer to look out for?
A google search didn't reveal much. Any other suggestions for decent
price/performance in a board around $2k?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Weekend Warrior wrote:

There's a 32ch Soundcraft Ghost (not the LE version) being offered
locally for $1,900. Any known issues with that mixer to look out for?

That sounds like a good price to me, but those things sell for what you
can get for them. Feel free to haggle. What you have to look out for is
what you have to look out for in any older piece of mechanical
equipment. How many of the faders, pots, and switches will need to be
replaced before it doesn't drive you nuts, and can you live with the
sound without replacing capacitors. The Ghost is a sensible console for
studio use with a multitrack recorder. If you were to buy something new
that's roughly the equivalent, it would probably be a Toft ATB or
Trident 8T, both well over $5,000 for a 32-channel version.

Since the Ghost is local to you, you can at least check out all the
controls and switches even if it's not in service, as long as you can
find a table or floor space to put it on, and have a couple of hours.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

On Aug 24, 4:37 pm, Weekend Warrior wrote:
I'm looking to buy a used mixer to compliment my Alesis HD24XR
recorder.

There's a 32ch Soundcraft Ghost (not the LE version) being offered
locally for $1,900. Any known issues with that mixer to look out for?
A google search didn't reveal much. Any other suggestions for decent
price/performance in a board around $2k?

A Ghost would probably be fine, as long as it's in good shape. I'd
stay away from some of the other Soundcraft boards of that era (Spirit
series, etc), tho' I've heard the older 300B desks sound pretty
decent.

-Neb
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Aug 24, 4:37*pm, Weekend Warrior wrote:
I'm looking to buy a used mixer to compliment my Alesis HD24XR
recorder.

There's a 32ch Soundcraft Ghost (not the LE version) being offered
locally for $1,900. Any known issues with that mixer to look out for?
A google search didn't reveal much. Any other suggestions for decent
price/performance in a board around $2k?

The only recurring issues I've heard about regarding the Ghosts
are the switch-mode power supplies, series "PSM". There were
some reliability problems that were resolved by going back to the
linear supply. They are supposed to be sound better with the
CPS as well, but I can't personally vouch for that.

If the board comes with a "CPS" series supply you are good.

rd
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

DC2020?
I've made my first record on that console back in 1988 and I remember that
the sound was very very cold....
F.

larrymac123 larrymac123 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Tuskegee, Al
Send a message via Yahoo to larrymac123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Warrior View Post
I'm looking to buy a used mixer to compliment my Alesis HD24XR
recorder.

There's a 32ch Soundcraft Ghost (not the LE version) being offered
locally for $1,900. Any known issues with that mixer to look out for?
A google search didn't reveal much. Any other suggestions for decent
price/performance in a board around $2k?
check age, but sound craft ghost are going on the web for 3-5,000.00
but you may think about maybe a mackie 24-8 or something similar. also a good web site is sound broker.com or odessey pro sound.com I use the HD 24 in my studio as well, but I am cutting through a CAD Maxcon console. ( also as a note soundcraft only offers the Le version now, the one you are talking about is a slightly higher version due to the fact that it has MMC onboard.