Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

Default ADAT or other older multitrack, transfer to computer?

On 2008-09-10 said:
Amen. IT isn't so much that I "hate digital" I just don't
like working with most of the computer stuff.
FIrst and foremost, I have to use some sort of screen access
technology to use it. Screen access technology and any daw
you find are both going to be cpu hogs. IT's the nature of
the beasts and what they do. Just these two applications
trying to work together makes for a rather unstable system.

Fair enough. Your special circumstances make the decision for you.
But they also really disqualify you from the general discussion,
don't they!

NOt necessarily. A fellow I know who's totally blind digs
his daw. MOst of the work he does isn't whole bands
tracking at once however. HE's doing a lot of midi stuff
and working with either once source at a time or with
pre-recorded tracks. HE'd still tell you if he went into a
session with the entire ensemble recording at once he'd take
his hardware over his daw any day. HOrses for courses.
HOwever, since he's not doing that sort of work these days
he's sold off a lot of the hardware last I knew. HE enjoys
the sort of work he does, his clients are happy. AS for
this old man I wouldn't care to do a lot of what he's doing.

HE used to farm out some of his voiceover stuff to me to do
but uses other talent for that these days.

HE got into using the daw for a variety of reasons, even
back when there were still a variety of tape manufacturers.
HIs workstation made better use of tight working space, and
he didn't have to call in a tech once a week or so to align
the multi-track machine. HE started with da88 and migrated
to the daw. HE was able to move into a smaller space, cut
his overhead and still provide the service he provides to
his clients.

contrast him with somebody such as MIke or myself. The type
of work we like to do can be done with a daw, and many
capable folks do it. HOwever, for both of us we find the
hardware more intuitive. USing it allows us to concentrate
on the important parts of the session, and that's what pays
the bills. IS one superior to the other? Depends on the job
you're doing, and who's doing it. I wouldn't want to have
to do some of the edits I've done with a razorblade anymore.
I'm too rusty, and these days I'd just as soon hand it to
one of the daw experts. IF you ask my buddy Bob referenced
earlier he'd never go back when it comes to doing some of
those fine edits. HE's giving his clients good value for
the dollar spent. IMho he's giving away the farm, but it's
his business. HE's competitive for the market he's in and
likes his work, and at the end of the day, that's what
matters. Btw the last full band project Bob did he did with
me, and he was acting mostly as producer on that one. HE
doesn't miss them. HIs business model wouldn't work for me,
I"d be doing work I didn't enjoy for money that I wouldn't
think was adequate for the skill and time involved.

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2008-09-10 said:
Alright, picture yourself working on that computer using
screen access technology. YOu must listen to it chatter at
you as you use either keystroke combinations or something
else to emulate the mouse.

Chatter? What are you talking about? I use Nuendo, it doesn't
chatter at all.

HOw else would screen access technology work? I am not
using my eyes to read the screen. They don't work anyway.
dOes that explain what I"m talking about?

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jason Jason is offline

In article 57520242-a9e4-4973-8418-
,
says...
That along with the 128 kbps Atrac 3.5
compression format sort of scares me

I have a Sony MD recorder. It records in compressed format, as you
mention, but will also record 2-channel .wav files. I've had good
success with that.
larrymac123 larrymac123 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Tuskegee, Al
Send a message via Yahoo to larrymac123

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
To anyone who may be able to help...

I never used ADAT 8 track when it was popular, what, 15 years ago? I
was wondering how recordings made on the Alesis XT20 (or other
available ADATs) would be transferred to a pc laptop (I'm on xp,
pentium III). It looks like the Adat has a digital optical out in the
form of a rectangular Toslink. Would that run to a digital in on some
type of laptop adapter I could get? And then how would that transfer
be initiated?

I'm trying to find a way to use older multitrack devices that are more
basic than those around today, without having to use the computer,
with the caveat that I would still like to have a decent quality
recording that would transfer to my computer for mixdown to CD.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've also considered using a Sony
minidisc multitrack recorder but they record at a compressed codec of
128 kbps and the units only have unbalanced RCA outs, so I'd have to
rerecord everything with another D/A to A/D conversion to get it to
CD. However, maybe that wouldn't be too bad conceptually (128 kbps is
about 10% of what linear PCM mode at 44.1 mHz/16 bit requires), with a
decent mastering. Anybody want to ridicule me for thinking it's
possible? :*) I record ambient drum and bass type music, and today's
multitrack options seem to interfere with the composition process.

thanks again. Lou
I am using the alesis HD 24 in my studio i have 2 of the in the system for 48 tracks. to answer your question maybe, the fiber optic out on the rear of your machine wii transfer 8 tracs of audio at on time. by instaling a sound card with adat in, ( several on market) you can transfer tracs to computer to work on. also you can play tracs directly to pc with use of midi interface, jl cooper makes one for older adats. the HD 24 has an optional interface runs on firewire to drop to pc. i have used adats for the last 18 years, fee free to call me if I can help.

Larry McGure
Whistle Stop Studios
Tuskegee, Al
334-226-1046 (studio)