Default Newbie question

In searching this NG, I found the following:
"The Hammond 269JX (or 369JX for 230 volt mains) would supply 250-0-250
at up to 60 mA, plus 6.3V at up to 2.5A for the 5Y3 (use a 0.68 ohm, 5
watt resistor to drop from 6.3V to 5V)." posted by Fred N. a few years
ago.
I wondered whether one could replace a 6X4 with a 5Y3 in a rectifier
circuit merely be putting a "0.68 ohm, 5 watt resistor" in series with
the heater. I've never modified an amp before, and am interested in
the compression/output tube distortion increase afforded by swapping in
a 5Y3. The application is a small, single-ended 6V6 amp that's = 10W,
used solely for guitar. Any advice would be much appreciated.

--Bryan

sideshow bob

a 5y3 needs another winding from the transformer
5v AC, it has to be isolated from 6.3.
a 6x4 is indirectly heated, the 5y3 is direct heated.

wrote in message
oups.com...
In searching this NG, I found the following:
"The Hammond 269JX (or 369JX for 230 volt mains) would supply 250-0-250
at up to 60 mA, plus 6.3V at up to 2.5A for the 5Y3 (use a 0.68 ohm, 5
watt resistor to drop from 6.3V to 5V)." posted by Fred N. a few years
ago.
I wondered whether one could replace a 6X4 with a 5Y3 in a rectifier
circuit merely be putting a "0.68 ohm, 5 watt resistor" in series with
the heater. I've never modified an amp before, and am interested in
the compression/output tube distortion increase afforded by swapping in
a 5Y3. The application is a small, single-ended 6V6 amp that's = 10W,
used solely for guitar. Any advice would be much appreciated.

--Bryan

What about a 6ax5?

--Bryan