bj

Default Mackie vlz pro Xdr mic pre vs Onyx mic pre

I have Mackie vlz pro xdr
Mackie has released a new onyx mixer
Is the onyx preamp better than old mackie xdr mic pre?

one say that onyx is more natural sound than xdr
others say that onyx have the same sound as xdr except for the lower
noise floor and more wised dynamic range of Onyx
the others say that Xdr have better sound than onyx
and I am confused...

p.s I personally like a colored vocal sound such as Neve 1089 or
Focusrite Red 1 preamp than natural sound preamps
Scott Dorsey

bj wrote:
I have Mackie vlz pro xdr
Mackie has released a new onyx mixer
Is the onyx preamp better than old mackie xdr mic pre?

Does it matter?
Seeing as how the EQ on the Onyx is totally different than the
older EQ, and the EQ is also bypassable, that seems like enough
of a step up to me.

The new Onyx preamp circuit is different but I can't say it's better
or worse yet.

one say that onyx is more natural sound than xdr
others say that onyx have the same sound as xdr except for the lower
noise floor and more wised dynamic range of Onyx
the others say that Xdr have better sound than onyx
and I am confused...

Well, the main problems with the older Mackie consoles have nothing at
all to do with the preamps. The preamps are probably the best thing in
the consoles, actually. It's the summing stuff and the horrible EQ that
are the main issues.

p.s I personally like a colored vocal sound such as Neve 1089 or
Focusrite Red 1 preamp than natural sound preamps

Yes, but what do you do for everything else other than vocals?