AB

Default What sound card has front panel audio header and s/pdif I/O?

Hi,

I am in search of a sound card. See, my PC case has front USB, Firewire, and Mic/Headphone connectors, but I don't wanna use my motherboard's built in sound board, so I was wondering what
sound card has front panel audio headers but also has spdif input and output? I thought about getting a sound blaster with live drive, but I just wanna be able to use my computer case's front audio.

Thank you, any help appreciated!
Alan Rutlidge

"AB" wrote in message
Hi,

I am in search of a sound card. See, my PC case has front USB, Firewire,

and Mic/Headphone connectors, but I don't wanna use my motherboard's built
in sound board, so I was wondering what
sound card has front panel audio headers but also has spdif input and

output? I thought about getting a sound blaster with live drive, but I just
wanna be able to use my computer case's front audio.

Thank you, any help appreciated!

I use the Soundblaster Audigy2 Platinum soundcard. Had it for a couple of
years now and very satisfied with it. I think it has all the features you
are looking for. Front panel access requires a free 5 1/4" bay. Of course
Creative have newer models which might suit you better.

Check out the details at
http://www.creative.com/products/pro...04&product=150

Cheers,
Alan

Arny Krueger

"AB" wrote in message

I am in search of a sound card. See, my PC case has front USB,
Firewire, and Mic/Headphone connectors, but I don't wanna use my
motherboard's built in sound board, so I was wondering what sound
card has front panel audio headers but also has spdif input and
output? I thought about getting a sound blaster with live drive, but
I just wanna be able to use my computer case's front audio.

The front panel headers, being unbalanced, aren't really generally suitable
for audio production use.

You might want to use them for casual headphone monitoring, but for that
some of the better on-board audio interfaces might be good enough.

AB

Ok, Raymond ,

but what card has front audio header and s/pdif I/O?

I just wanna transfer some stuff to my PC via s/pdif, but have a decent sound card. I don't need anything too professional/

Jerohm

"AB" wrote in message
Ok, Raymond ,

but what card has front audio header and s/pdif I/O?

I just wanna transfer some stuff to my PC via s/pdif, but have a decent
sound card. I don't need anything too professional/

TerraTec´s DMX 6 fire 24/96 (~ 199US Street) and the M-Audio Firewire
Audiophile (~150US Street) are both nice choices. You didn't say what price
range you are looking at. I personally would avoid solutions that
(up)sample everything to 48K.

Arny Krueger

"AB" wrote in message

Ok, Raymond ,

but what card has front audio header and s/pdif I/O?

What case has a front-panel RCA jacks (in and out) for SP/DIF? What about
Toslink?

If you can answer that in the affirmative, nothing prevents you from running
some 75 ohm coax from the back panel of the card , through the case, and to
the front panel.

Nothing keeps you from boring your own holes in the plastic case and
mounting your own RCA jacks. Nothing keeps you from putting two grommeted
holes in a regular PC card mounting bracket to pass the coax. Use
right-angle RCA plugs on the back panel end of the cables to avoid needing
a lot of rearward clearance. A little bit of wire dress, maybe a clamp or
two, and voila!

If all you want is bit-perfect SP/DIF the Audiophile 2496 at a promotional
price under $100 comes to mind.

I just wanna transfer some stuff to my PC via s/pdif, but have a decent
sound card.

I don't need anything too professional.

OK, so we sacrifice the balanced analog I/O, but keep the bit-perfect
digital transfers up to 24/96.

Geoff Wood

"AB" wrote in message
Ok, Raymond ,

but what card has front audio header and s/pdif I/O?

I just wanna transfer some stuff to my PC via s/pdif, but have a decent
sound card. I don't need anything too professional/

Mine does ! I tacked some wires onto the back of the PCB and brought them
to a drilled-out blank drive panel. I also tossed in a headphone amp (5532)
and vol knob for good measure.

geoff

james of tucson

On 2005-02-02, Mike Rivers wrote:

Perhaps his lack of mechanical skills does. I think he should just get
a card like the M-Audio Audiophile, plug a cable into the back of the
computer once, and be done with it, but I can understand the cool
factor of being able to plug something into the front of the computer.

I don't. I think the whole thing would be altogether cooler, if all the
interface stuff were on one panel, that most likely being the front panel
of a 19" unit.
Martin Norberg

Even a humble Sblive (also the cheap old Value) has a row of internal
pins for connecting various stuff. Some are SPDIF ins and outs, and I
have used them with a homemade front panel and an outboard DAC or
DAT... Look around the net, and you will find several pages describing
what pins to connect to what. Ideally you should perhaps also use a
small pulse transformer to isolate the digital i/o.
The Live is 16bit/48kHz only though.

Martin

Laurence Payne

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:59:06 -0800, "AB" wrote:

I am in search of a sound card. See, my PC case has front USB, Firewire, and Mic/Headphone connectors, but I don't wanna use my motherboard's built in sound board, so I was wondering what
sound card has front panel audio headers but also has spdif input and output? I thought about getting a sound blaster with live drive, but I just wanna be able to use my computer case's front audio.

How will a Soundblaster be better than your onboard audio?

I suggest you focus on what you want to achieve with the sound system,
not on whether connectors are front panel or not. What DO you want
to do?

FS: Core Sound PDAudio-CF S/PDIF Interface Card [email protected] Marketplace 0 September 6th 04 05:13 AM
S/PDIF transfer of audio into 'puter: An adventure in digital transfer! TC Pro Audio 5 July 11th 04 04:16 AM
S/PDIF? MZ Car Audio 6 April 8th 04 08:38 PM
Sound card with digital S/PDIF IOs only andy Pro Audio 10 April 8th 04 01:47 AM
AES Show Report (LONG!!!!) Mike Rivers Pro Audio 17 October 31st 03 02:57 PM