Pat

Default Audio to video

I have to make an inexpensive video of my son playing the drums.
Unfortunately, the sound quality straight from the camcorder is
horrible. But we have a system (mics, mixer, eq, etc.) for recording
drums to audiotape, and we get great results. So now, I'm running
only the video from the camera, and the audio is coming from the
outputs on my Tascam tape recorder.

The sound is actully pretty decent, but no matter the volume from the
Tascam, the volume recorded onto the videotape is too low. I have
tried this many different ways - right from the mixer, and even with:
mic --amp --VCR -- and the results are the same. It seems that, no
matter the signal strength, the volume is too low. And I've tried
this on both of my VCRs.

Thanks for any help.
Richard Crowley

"Pat" wrote ...
I have to make an inexpensive video of my son playing the drums.
Unfortunately, the sound quality straight from the camcorder is
horrible. But we have a system (mics, mixer, eq, etc.) for recording
drums to audiotape, and we get great results. So now, I'm running
only the video from the camera, and the audio is coming from the
outputs on my Tascam tape recorder.

The sound is actully pretty decent, but no matter the volume from the
Tascam, the volume recorded onto the videotape is too low. I have
tried this many different ways - right from the mixer, and even with:
mic --amp --VCR -- and the results are the same. It seems that, no
matter the signal strength, the volume is too low. And I've tried
this on both of my VCRs.

Your VCR likely has an automatic level control that is being
tricked by the loud peaks of the drum sounds. Do you have a
limiter/compressor in your audio chain anywhere? One of the
best deals in a decade is the "Real Nice Compressor" (RNC)
http://www.fmraudio.com/ (MSRP $199, available for less)
Very highly regarded in the professional community, unusual
for such a modestly-priced unit.

The only other solution may be to use a VCR with manual level
controls, but you will likely spend more to get that than your
camcorder cost. :-(

What happens when you feed the mixer into your camcorder?
You will likely need line-level to mic-level pads, but that is
straightforward technology. Feeding your mixer through the
RNC and then through a pad to your camcorder would seem
like the optimal method for your particular situation, IMHO.

Deke

"Pat" wrote in message
om...
I have to make an inexpensive video of my son playing the drums.
Unfortunately, the sound quality straight from the camcorder is
horrible. But we have a system (mics, mixer, eq, etc.) for recording
drums to audiotape, and we get great results. So now, I'm running
only the video from the camera, and the audio is coming from the
outputs on my Tascam tape recorder.

The sound is actully pretty decent, but no matter the volume from the
Tascam, the volume recorded onto the videotape is too low. I have
tried this many different ways - right from the mixer, and even with:
mic --amp --VCR -- and the results are the same. It seems that, no
matter the signal strength, the volume is too low. And I've tried
this on both of my VCRs.

Thanks for any help.

The VCRs auto leveling is reducing the volume.
Try compressing/limiting the sound peaks from the mixer. VCR recording
level will be set by the loudest peaks of the audio input. HTH.