Fill X

Default Hammond A100- another hammond question

My m-3 has one key that the percussion isn't working on only in secord order
mode, not third. Is this something i can repair myself? I'd hate to move this
damn thing again...

P h i l i p

______________________________

"I'm too ****ing busy and vice-versa"

- Dorothy Parker

Justin Ulysses Morse

You sure it's one key and not one note (in every octave)? It almost
has to be a dirty contact on the key itself. I have no idea how you
get at it, but I'm sure it's right under the key.

ulysses

In article , Fill X
wrote:

My m-3 has one key that the percussion isn't working on only in secord order
mode, not third. Is this something i can repair myself? I'd hate to move this
damn thing again...

P h i l i p

______________________________

"I'm too ****ing busy and vice-versa"

- Dorothy Parker

Fill X

yeah , it's on the top key board and it's the middle second D from the bottom.
Works in third order but not in second. I'll try cleaning it, I just thought it
was odd that the percussion worked in one mode rather than not at all and just
on one note. I'll check and make sure no other keys are affected, but I think
it's just the one. thanks.

P h i l i p

______________________________

"I'm too ****ing busy and vice-versa"

- Dorothy Parker

Lord Valve

Percussion tones are keyed through the same contact number/bussbar
regardless of frequency. Ergo, if the third harmonic sounds, the second
harmonic *must* sound, since the signal path is identical. For the third
to work and not the second, the *frequency* must be missing from the
generator, or the wire which carries it to the manual chassis must
be broken. Locate this particular frequency by playing the notes
on either side of it and matching the pitches with the first white
drawbar pulled out. (Don't pull that drawbar out while you are listening
to the percussion tones - listen to those by themselves.) First locate
the correct pitch of the percussion tone one half-step below the missing
tone, and then pull a drawbar, find the pitch you just located, and play the
key one half-step above it. I think you'll find you have a frequency missing.
See if this frequency is missing at the same location on the lower manual.
If it's there, you have a break in the manual-to-manual wiring harness.
If it's missing on both manuals, you have a break in the generator-to-manual
harness, or a broken wire on that note's filter assembly in the generator,
or, worst case, you have a stuck tonewheel. Hammonds do not take well
to being hacked by amateurs - once you find out what's wrong, call in
a pro Hammond tech unless you have *mondo* tech service chops.

Lord Valve
American

Fill X wrote:

yeah , it's on the top key board and it's the middle second D from the bottom.
Works in third order but not in second. I'll try cleaning it, I just thought it
was odd that the percussion worked in one mode rather than not at all and just
on one note. I'll check and make sure no other keys are affected, but I think
it's just the one. thanks.

P h i l i p

______________________________

"I'm too ****ing busy and vice-versa"

- Dorothy Parker

Scott Porter

That percussion circuit redeploys one of the busbar contacts for each of the
keys on the upper keyboard in order to trigger the effect.

If you select "2nd harmonic", then the 4th drawbar (counting up from the
left) is "redeployed" as the percussion trigger.

If you select "3rd harmonic", then the 5th drawbar (again, counting up from
the left) is "redeployed" as the percussion trigger.

Try pushing in all the drawbars on the "percussion enabled" drawbar bank
(second one from the left - ie, selected by "C" preset key for the upper
manual), select 2nd or 3rd harmonic, and then pull out just the appropriate
trigger drawbar. All you get is the percussion "plink". It's a cool
electric piano-like effect!

Of course, all of this applies only to the upper keyboard, and only to the
second set of drawbars up from the left...that is the magic.

To further add to the magic of the percussive "plink", the sound is only
emitted when a single key is depressed on the upper manual. If you hold down
a sustained note with one hand and then play a run with the other, there
won't be any percussion on the notes in the run ... until you release the
sustained note. Ahhh, don't even get me started on the joys of the A100's
built-in reverb channel with its own dedicated tube amp!

Anyway... uhhh...

Yeah, it seems plausible that there could be a problem with one key and only
with one of the two percussion harmonics. What happens if you turn off
percussion, use the 2nd set of drawbars from the left, push in all the
drawbars on that bank except for the 4th one, and then depress that problem
D key on the top manual? Does it make contact?

-Scott

"Fill X" wrote in message
yeah , it's on the top key board and it's the middle second D from the

bottom.
Works in third order but not in second. I'll try cleaning it, I just

thought it
was odd that the percussion worked in one mode rather than not at all and

just
on one note. I'll check and make sure no other keys are affected, but I

think
it's just the one. thanks.

P h i l i p

"I'm too ****ing busy and vice-versa"

- Dorothy Parker

RCA out and Speaker Question in 2004 Ranger Edge Question magicianstalk Car Audio 0 March 10th 04 02:32 AM
Sub + amp wiring question Incog Car Audio 1 February 16th 04 12:49 AM
Hammond A100 Tom Garneau Pro Audio 4 July 19th 03 02:06 AM
Repost: Reason 2.0 on a Celeron 2GHz laptop. Scott Elliott Birch General 17 July 7th 03 11:20 PM
Repost: Reason 2.0 on a Celeron 2GHz laptop. Scott Elliott Birch Audio Opinions 17 July 7th 03 11:20 PM