Posted to rec.audio.pro
alice alice is offline

Default Which wav type to use?

For the first time I am now exporting a wav file using Adobe Audition,
and I see there are several types of wav files to choose from. Which
should I use? I'm trying to save the file that will be used for a
commercially released CD compilation.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On 21 Mar 2007 12:24:01 -0700, "alice" wrote:

For the first time I am now exporting a wav file using Adobe Audition,
and I see there are several types of wav files to choose from. Which
should I use? I'm trying to save the file that will be used for a
commercially released CD compilation.

You need the Windows PCM option. Don't misread and go for ADPCM.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

alice wrote:
For the first time I am now exporting a wav file using Adobe Audition,
and I see there are several types of wav files to choose from. Which
should I use?

What are the choices?

Tobiah

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article . com,
alice wrote:
For the first time I am now exporting a wav file using Adobe Audition,
and I see there are several types of wav files to choose from. Which
should I use? I'm trying to save the file that will be used for a
commercially released CD compilation.

Whatever the producers of the compilation (or their mastering house)
want.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"alice" wrote ...
For the first time I am now exporting a wav file using
Adobe Audition, and I see there are several types of wav
files to choose from. Which should I use? I'm trying to
save the file that will be used for a commercially released
CD compilation.

Files must be "44100 - 16-bit - Stereo". This is established
when starting a new file, etc.

Shen you save, use the "Windows PCM (*.wav)" option.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"alice" wrote ...
For the first time I am now exporting a wav file using
Adobe Audition, and I see there are several types of wav
files to choose from. Which should I use? I'm trying to
save the file that will be used for a commercially released
CD compilation.

Files must be "44100 - 16-bit - Stereo". This is established
when starting a new file, etc.

Not necessarily; a lot of the time it's preferred to record at 32-bit
(Audition's way of processing 24-bit data), then manipulate the file as
needed. The last thing you do is dither it down to 16 bits. Or, if you're
sending to someone else to master, you leave it in 32-bit format. Let their
mothers worry.

When you save, use the "Windows PCM (*.wav)" option.

Yep.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
alice alice is offline

On Mar 22, 1:32 am, "Paul Stamler" wrote:
[...]

So if I'm sending files off to be put onto a CD compilation, should I
leave it 32 bit, or make it 24 bit?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 23, 8:35 pm, "alice" wrote:

So if I'm sending files off to be put onto a CD compilation, should I
leave it 32 bit, or make it 24 bit?

I'd make it 24-bit, or maybe even 16-bit. Some people have never heard
of 32-bit files.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On Mar 23, 8:35 pm, "alice" wrote:

So if I'm sending files off to be put onto a CD compilation, should I
leave it 32 bit, or make it 24 bit?

I'd make it 24-bit, or maybe even 16-bit. Some people have never heard
of 32-bit files.

I'd ask the mastering house what they can deal with, before doing anything
else. On compilation jobs, the mastering guys are probably going to be
doing more processing than usual, since they are trying to make a bunch of
discrete tracks from different people made at different places fit together
as a coherent whole. Anything you can do to help them is good.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

"alice" wrote:

So if I'm sending files off to be put onto a CD compilation, should I
leave it 32 bit, or make it 24 bit?

24bit integer (Type I) is normally used for file intechange between
studios, mastering rooms, etc,
Audition (and CoolEdit Pro) defaults to writing files in the same
format that it uses for it's internal computation: 32bit floating
point.
Some programs don't recognize these 32bit files, but the number
is dwindling.

If you want to "Save as" any other format such as the common
24bit you have to tell AA/CEP in save as/options and it will convert
upon saving (and dither if specified).

If the compilation is being put together from separate sources and
not being mastered as a project (very unusual) they may want 44/16
files but I'd verify this with the producer. You may not want your
song on a compilation that's not being mastered as a whole.

rd

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"alice" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not necessarily; a lot of the time it's preferred to record at 32-bit
(Audition's way of processing 24-bit data), then manipulate the file as
needed. The last thing you do is dither it down to 16 bits. Or, if

you're
sending to someone else to master, you leave it in 32-bit format. Let

their
mothers worry.

So if I'm sending files off to be put onto a CD compilation, should I
leave it 32 bit, or make it 24 bit?

Ask the producer or, better, the mastering engineer. The two formats -- 32-
and 24-bit -- actually contain the same data, but the first is set up as
floating-point notation while the second is fixed-point.

Peace,
Paul