Kamox

Default 300B by CVC.... what do you think?

Hello,
I'm going to make a 300B SE amp (Anzai Zaika project, 6SJ7 as driver
tube) and, as my first DIY tube amp, I didn't want to spend too much:
I've therefore bought a unmatched pair of 300B by CVC. The retailer
told me that these are good tubes, made in China according to CVC (UK)
specs. I paid 150 euros for them.
Have I been robbed? Do you know this "manufacturer"?

Thanks for your help,

Kamox.
Rich Sherman

Hi the

150 Euros sounds a bit on the 'steep' side, but I assume that this included
shipping and taxes which from the UK may be just correct.

Myself? I have used Sovtek Single Plate 2A3, US RCA 1943 2A3's NOS and
Sylvania Green Leaf 2A3 Black Plates and the Sovteks sound for me the best
in my amplifier. The RCA's come in second and Sylvania a third. I am sure
that it has to do with the Single vs. Bi-Plate construction. The Bi-plate
tubes sound harmonicallty richer. But I am happy to say that all the above
work very well in my 6N1P-2A3 DIY amp (based on the Kismet design by Fabio
Camorani.)

You can see my amp (and pronto the schematic modifications on the original
Kismet design) on:

http://shermanr.web.prw.net

In my experience Chinese 2A3's can sound very good and work well but I would
only buy them if they come with a warranty and are pre tested and burned-in.
I assume that a reputable place like CVC tests and warranties their tubes so
you should be okay.

Matching on 2A3's may also be nice but not absolutely necessary.

Good luck,

Rich

"Kamox" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I'm going to make a 300B SE amp (Anzai Zaika project, 6SJ7 as driver
tube) and, as my first DIY tube amp, I didn't want to spend too much:
I've therefore bought a unmatched pair of 300B by CVC. The retailer
told me that these are good tubes, made in China according to CVC (UK)
specs. I paid 150 euros for them.
Have I been robbed? Do you know this "manufacturer"?

Thanks for your help,

Kamox.

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Kamox wrote:

Hello,
I'm going to make a 300B SE amp (Anzai Zaika project, 6SJ7 as driver
tube) and, as my first DIY tube amp, I didn't want to spend too much:
I've therefore bought a unmatched pair of 300B by CVC. The retailer
told me that these are good tubes, made in China according to CVC (UK)
specs. I paid 150 euros for them.
Have I been robbed?

No, not unless they pointed a gun at you ;-)

Do you know this "manufacturer"?

The tubes should be fine. Chelmer Valve tests their tubes, so they
should be ok. The price is about the same as Valve Art 300Bs from AES.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen