Joseph Luner

Default Any recommendation on GPS Navigation system?

I am looking for a GPS navigation system without DVD, is it possible to
leave my CDplayer the way it is without touching it? Any recommendation on
brand/model? and price range?

Thanks...

Scott Gardner

By "without DVD", do you mean that you don't want a DVD-based nav
system, or that you don't need to be able to watch DVDs? Most of the
good car nav systems are DVD-based, but you simply load the
appropriate area DVD in the navigation unit (usually in the trunk),
and leave it there. It's not for watching commercial DVDs. Others
are dash-mount and allow you to view DVDs as well.

Pioneer, Alpine, and most of the big names have some kind of nav
solution for you. At a minimum, you need a DVD-reader, some kind of
head unit to control it, and a screen to view it on. Figure on
$1500-$2000 without installation.

If you don't need the system to be tightly integrated with you car,
I'd recommend one of the Garmin "Streetpilot" handheld units. They
have nice color screens, give turn-by-turn directions with voice
prompts, and you can take them with you from car to car. They store
their maps on memory cards, and the nice ones start around $750. This
would keep you from having to make any modifications to your car at
all.

Scott Gardner

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 05:22:41 GMT, "Joseph Luner"
wrote:

I am looking for a GPS navigation system without DVD, is it possible to
leave my CDplayer the way it is without touching it? Any recommendation on
brand/model? and price range?

Thanks...

Paul Vina

At a minimum, you need a DVD-reader, some kind of
head unit to control it, and a screen to view it on. Figure on
$1500-$2000 without installation.

You don't need a HU to control it. There are on screen displays for the
functioning of the navi systems. All you need is the navi unit and a
screen.

Paul Vina

Captain Howdy

Checkout a Garmin StreetPilot3 Deluxe or Garmin StreetPilot 2610 , The
software loads to a memory card via PC USB programmer. The unit mounts on the
dash via quick release mount or beanbag mount. It powers from a 12/24 volt
cigarette lighter or 6AA batteries, making it user friendly if you plan to use
it in multiple vehicles, you can also get a optional motorcycle mount if be
needed. The color display is nice and sharp with turn by turn voice prompts.
As for software it comes with a built in base map of North America and for
street level mapping it comes with North American City Navigator software that
covers the U.S. including Alaska and Hawaii and most major cities in southern
to mid Canada. Optional maps for Europe, South Africa and Australia are
available. The Garmin StreetPilot 2610 comes with a touch screen and a
remote control.

In article .rogers.com,
"Joseph Luner" wrote:
I am looking for a GPS navigation system without DVD, is it possible to
leave my CDplayer the way it is without touching it? Any recommendation on
brand/model? and price range?

Thanks...

Antennahead1

Up-to-date Crutchfield.com referral discount coupon code here to save
you $20 - pxjbb-k3g0a-z3qeh

Mark Zarella

Up-to-date Crutchfield.com referral discount coupon code here to save
you $20 - pxjbb-k3g0a-z3qeh

Would you mind terribly if I told you to shut the hell up?