JohanWagener

Default dual coil vs single coil

What is the advantage of buying a dual coil sub compared to a single coil.
Someone explained that you only need dual coil subs if you plan to use two.

David

More wiring options....can lower the impedance down.
Paul Vina

Or raise it up. I have a dual 2 ohm sub so I can run it in series for a 4
ohm load. But the only difference between the single and dual voice coil
subs is the wiring options.

Paul Vina

"David" wrote in message
More wiring options....can lower the impedance down.

SeaN

isnt dual voice coil meant for just one sub
i have heard from ppl and 1 store employee that if yoru gettin 2+ subs dont
bother with dual voice coil cuz it will sound like crap

"JohanWagener" wrote in message
What is the advantage of buying a dual coil sub compared to a single coil.
Someone explained that you only need dual coil subs if you plan to use

two.

sl2perfect

what paul said is right. just more wiring options. nothing more
nothing less.
--
sl2perfect
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=150130

Paul Vina

But that refers to single coil subs. A single 2 ohm sub and a dual 4 ohm in
parallel for a 2 ohm load will behave almost exactly the same. There will
be some differences because of the extra resistance and mass of the second
coil on the dvc sub, but they will work the same and sound indistinguishable
from each other.

Paul Vina

"Sam Carleton" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 at 17:10 GMT, JohanWagener wrote:
What is the advantage of buying a dual coil sub compared to a single

coil.
Someone explained that you only need dual coil subs if you plan to use

two.

Well, I see that everyone seems to say that there is no difference.
I am not one to argue because I don't know, but I did find this snip
at the Boston Acoustic's web site:

source: http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Manuals/y2ohm.pdf

--------------------- Snip ---------------------

2-Ohm Subs vs. Dual Voice-coil Subs

When comparing a dual 4-ohm voice coil wired in
parallel (yielding a 2-ohm load) to a single 2-ohm
voice coil, the single coil will handle more
power. As previously stated, the windings on a
2-ohm coil are of a larger gauge than a 4-ohm
coil. This fact does not change in a dual voice
coil subwoofer. A smaller gauge is a smaller gauge
no matter how many coils are used or how they are
wired. Dual voice coils also increase inductance
compared to a single coil, resulting in higher
distortion.

--------------------- Snip ---------------------

This make sense to me. Is Boston Acoustics simply blowing smoke or
is this true?

--
See my links engine for a collection of sites that
might be of interest to you. Your additions will

Sam Carleton

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 at 23:19 GMT, Paul Vina wrote:

But that refers to single coil subs. A single 2 ohm sub and a
dual 4 ohm in parallel for a 2 ohm load will behave almost exactly
the same. There will be some differences because of the extra
resistance and mass of the second coil on the dvc sub, but they
will work the same and sound indistinguishable from each other.

Paul,

Please reread the snip from Boston Acoustics. In the very first
sentence, it states that it is comparing a single 2-ohm voice coil to
a dual 4-ohm voice coil. The key is that the 4-ohm is a dual 4-ohm
that when run in parallel will yield a 2-ohm load.

I could paraphrase what Boston Acoustics said, but I don't see the
point. If you would be so kind as to revisit the argument, I would
like to hear your take on it.

Sam

"Sam Carleton" wrote

wrote:
[...]

Paul Vina

I think the part about the power handling is pure BS. A single 2 ohm coil
will handle more power than a single 4 ohm coil, but they are deluded if
they think it will handle more than a dual coil sub.
Taken from the spec sheet on their own website, they list the power handling
and box sizes as being the same for the 2 ohm and 4 ohm version of their
subs. They can't even adhere to the crap they're spewing out.

The issue of wiring is not really a fair one, since personally it is easier
to wire two 4 ohm DVC's for a 4 ohm load than to run 2 2 ohm svc's in
parallel for a 4 ohm load since with the dvc's there is no need to run any
wiring between the two chambers.

So basically, I have no problem with a 2 ohm sub. It can make wiring easier,
but not always. If there was such a big difference in the power handling
then everyone would be using 2 ohm subs. Just my 2 cents

wrote:
[...]

The Lizard

Paul Vina wrote:

The issue of wiring is not really a fair one, since personally it is easier
to wire two 4 ohm DVC's for a 4 ohm load than to run 2 2 ohm svc's in
parallel for a 4 ohm load since with the dvc's there is no need to run any
wiring between the two chambers.

Yeah, especially since 2 2 ohm SVC's in parallel would result in a 1 ohm
load. Maybe you should run them in series?

So basically, I have no problem with a 2 ohm sub. It can make wiring easier,
but not always. If there was such a big difference in the power handling
then everyone would be using 2 ohm subs. Just my 2 cents

Give the corporate marketing hype machine time and leeway, and everyone
will be using 2 ohm subs.

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/
Save Farscape http://www.watchfarscape.com