rickymix

Default B.L.U.E. B-7 capsule?

Hi y'all,
Has anyone here had experience with the B.L.U.E. B-7 capsule? I
have the Lollipop/451, whose capsule is supposed to be like the B-6
capsule, which is supposed to be C-12-ish. The Lollipop sounds good,
but whenever I hear it in a track compared to my U-87, I always prefer
the U-87. My clients do, too. Maybe we just like that Neumann sound.
The B-7 capsule is supposed to sound like a U-47, so I'm thinking
maybe we'd like that better. Anyone compared these?
Thanks, Rick.
Twist Turner

Whats wierd about the B6 is it is supposed to sound like a C12, yet when
I compared it to a track I had previously recorded with my now sold
Lawson L47, they sounded nearly identical, to the point of you really
having to strain to hear little tiny minor details of differneces
between the 2. And the the L47 is supposed to sound like a U47.
Honestly it was so close I could have done vocal fixes with the 451/B6
on the Lawson track and no one would have been able to tell the
difference.

I have only heard a real M7 and M8 capsule not the Blue B7 though, and
I"ve never put my B6 up against a C12.

I'd take it for what it most likely is. In all probability is a really
nice capsule which sounds somewhat different from the B6, but mostly not
exactly like a U47. Real Neumann capsules(and the gefell M71 and U70 as
well) seem to have a quality about them I find pleasing and a quality I
haven't heard in any of the copys I've heard so far.

Twist Turner
http://tinyurl.com/ul70

rickymix

Hi Twist,
Yeah, I like the BLUE too, but I like the Neumann better. I have
not been able to intellectualize, let alone verbalize what the
difference is though. I'm certainly happy using the B6-ish Lollipop
as my travel mic, I'm just curious whether I'd be even happier with a
B7. Haven't been able to get a hold of Skipper yet.
Cheers, Rick.

(Twist Turner) wrote
Real Neumann capsules(and the gefell M71 and U70 as
well) seem to have a quality about them I find pleasing and a quality I
haven't heard in any of the copys I've heard so far.

hollywood_steve

Personally, I hear a HUGE difference between my B6 & B7 capsules

The B6 is the standard capsule that BLUE packages with the Bottle mic; its
described as the "modern presence vocal sound." And it has that edgy sound
that stands up to over compression quite nicely. I understand that its a
great tool for the way most popular music records are produced these days,
it just doesn't do much for me, or the way I like to work.

The B7, on the other hand, gets my vote for a capsule that sounds like a
finished product. If you like to print raw vocal tracks without any
processing, the B7 sounds great unadorned. It still has plenty of presence
to cut through a loud rock mix, but it also sounds great on a vocal that has
only minimal accompaniment.

Sorry, but I can't offer you "sounds like a U47 with just a bit of M49 mixed
in and with all the warmth of a C12a" types of comments. There are so many
"47" type mics that sound completely unlike each other that those types of
comparisons don't mean much to me. But I can say that I believe that the B7
sounds much nicer than the B6, at least for the way I work.

om...