Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

Default Grammy TV Audio?

On Tue 2038-Feb-02 09:41, Harvey Gerst writes:
If she watched Taylor Swift try to sing on pitch last night, I'd say
"suffered" is right.

My first suspicion is whatever monitoring was being used. I know I've
had aggravation with being fooled by my headphones doing home
recording and I assure you I'm quite sensitive to pitch issues.

snip

Yeah, in all fairness, the song was pitched to favor Stevie's voice,
which put it a little too high for Taylor, and the idea of singing
with one of her idols probably made her try some things she now
regrets. It takes a lot of guts to get up in front of a huge
audience when you're 20 years old, new to the business, singing with
a legend. whose career dwarfs your entire lifespan.

Agreed, there's a word for it the vocal pedagogy people use, "tessitura" (spelling) which means that the song is written
in a key which is or isn't a good lie for your voice.

I"m sure they had a good monitor mix person there, or should have had at that level, and this ain't bar band with a mono
monitor feed or something. I didn't bother to listen to
the grammy awards, as I don't do television, but Harvey
could discern such things, so I"ll take his word for it g.

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

On Tue 2038-Feb-02 09:41, Harvey Gerst writes:
If she watched Taylor Swift try to sing on pitch last night, I'd say
"suffered" is right.
My first suspicion is whatever monitoring was being used. I know I've
had aggravation with being fooled by my headphones doing home
recording and I assure you I'm quite sensitive to pitch issues.

snip

Yeah, in all fairness, the song was pitched to favor Stevie's voice,
which put it a little too high for Taylor, and the idea of singing
with one of her idols probably made her try some things she now
regrets. It takes a lot of guts to get up in front of a huge
audience when you're 20 years old, new to the business, singing with
a legend. whose career dwarfs your entire lifespan.

I'd like to hear her live, face-to-face without any electronics. I suspect
her pitch problem ~ chronically just a little flat ~ is congenital. It has
to do with how she hears herself. With some coaching, she might learn how
to get "on top" of the notes. I wonder if she can tune that ax.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Roy W. Rising wrote:

I'd like to hear her live, face-to-face without any electronics. I
suspect her pitch problem ~ chronically just a little flat ~ is
congenital. It has to do with how she hears herself. With some
coaching, she might learn how to get "on top" of the notes. I wonder
if she can tune that ax.

Dunno if applicable in this case, but with AT on recordings (and live) , do
such performers often feel the requirement to get good. Especially if they
are pretty

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Moshe Goldfarb[_4_] Moshe Goldfarb[_4_] is offline

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:43:00 +0000, Laurence Payne wrote:

On 02 Feb 2010 23:12:53 GMT,
(Richard Webb) wrote:

I"m sure they had a good monitor mix person there, or should have had at that level, and this ain't bar band with a mono
monitor feed or something. I didn't bother to listen to
the grammy awards, as I don't do television, but Harvey
could discern such things, so I"ll take his word for it g.

Things go wrong though. Recent example on the recent Royal Variety
Performance here in the UK. Bette Midler topped the bill, was
obviously not getting what she needed through her IEM, and sang badly
out of tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlpvDoaXn1c

I used to work with Bette back in the 70's and she tends to sing
flat, kind of like Dinah Shore.
That's her style though.
Drove me nuts as I have perfect pitch.

To me, she is more of an interpreter of tunes and lyrics rather
than a singer.
A story teller if you will.

However, she *Can* rock with the best of them.

She is a wonderful person though and has a natural sense of humor
and comedic timing.
For the most part, what you see is what you get with Bette and she
always treated the band well, unlike other artists I have toured
with who were prima donna (sp?) types, can you say Anita
Baker.....

--

2/3/2010 6:21:31 AM

Grammy TV Audio? Wayne R. Pro Audio 28 February 3rd 10 06:52 AM
A friend wins a Grammy Jenn[_2_] Audio Opinions 10 February 2nd 10 05:27 AM
GRAMMY University Network [email protected] Pro Audio 2 October 19th 06 05:29 PM
And the Grammy for Engineering goes to.... Mark Stebbeds Pro Audio 24 March 7th 05 10:20 PM
Grammy Awards: to my Naras friends Jay - atldigi Pro Audio 4 December 21st 03 04:20 PM