Digital Heaven

Default Oktava MK-012 Capsule

Hey All,

Just purchased a pair of Oktava MK-012 small diaphragm condensers from
ebay. They sound "darker" than a pair 0f NT5's I also have especially
on Acoustic Guitar, they are missing some of the brightness that I
especially like in AKG Small Diaphragm condensers. That said they do
sound quite good and I'm sure I'll have opportunity to use them (I will
try them as overheads later this week and report back)

Here's the thing, underneath the capsule on one there is a yellowish
dot (on the clear substance that secures the element, on the other
there is a yellow "x" I'm wondering if I might have unknowingly bought
factory seconds or grey market mics. The boxes were fine, the
documentation was only in Russian...(with a page missing (perhaps reg?)

I'd appreciate some advice, if anyone has ....

Thanks

Steve
Digital Heaven
Digital Heaven

Sure doesn't sound liek a matched pair then. The 'x' sounds ominous, or it
might just 'mark the spot' ;-) Mine (Soundroom) each have a red dot.

geoff

Ominous...no they're both cardioid (sorry had to)

I'm assuming, like the red dot, at some point someone was trying to
"match" output from a number of capsules and these were mismatched,
though close enough for my use.

Any favorite uses besides o'heads and on acoustic?

Steve
Digital Heaven
John Cafarella

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message