chelvam

Default Power cord noise

"David Power" wrote in message

Could this part of the manufactures claims of "quieter, better power"
from the high end market?
The effect is easily measurable and repeatable.

A $50 Maxcable of China was more quieter than my old reference cable. But
that does not mean they were better.

Colin

David Power wrote in message ...
While tracing down a low level hum I borrowed a ELFLX detector. I had
it set about the halfway point for sensitivity and noticed that I was
picking up significant noise from my stock power cord at 6 to 8 inches
away and moved it away from the phono pre that was picking up the hum.

I found this quite interesting and rounded up a collection of stock,
mid priced and some exotic power cords that I had and could borrow.
I found quite a large difference in the field strength using this
little inexpensive device. The PS lab and mini-lab cables seemed to
have the lowest radiated noise of the ones that I had available.
Could this part of the manufactures claims of "quieter, better power"
from the high end market?
The effect is easily measurable and repeatable.

David

Some power cords could have twisted pair conductors, some have the
wires shielded with braid that is connected to ground. I've read
before that it is good to keep audio patch cords away from line cords
for this very reason. You could try RFI clip on chokes. They are
clam shell with clip on ferrite pieces that clamp onto a power cord,
try them close to the amp or male plug. These reduce RF interferrence
on power cords going into our out of your unit. They won't help for
ac hum though, but distance will.

In this digital age, I must declare;
that I am not a number, I am a free man!!