Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar,rec.music.makers.percussion
[email protected] unixzip@yahoo.com is offline

Default Extracting specific tracks from imported MIDI files

I have a Roland (TD7) drum module that came with many good sample
tunes.

Recently I managed to download these samples via MIDI cable to my PC
and want to isolate just the drum parts so I can play along better.

I use Cakewalk Sonar and Guitar Pro to "look" at the MIDI files, but
can't seem to get the drum parts isolated. (The Playback of MIDI sounds
perfect, but the track mapping of the sample songs is all garbled into
a single track for some reason).

My understanding of MIDI, is that eack track is mapped to instrument
and one can pick and choose the track needed to record over or play.

For example, in Guitar Pro, most files are seen as:

Track 1: Electric Guitar - ............ notes ..........
Track 2: Piano ..............notes ..........
Track 3: Drums .............notes ........
etc, etc.....

When I import a MIDI file, shouldn't it map to the proper track
automatically, so I can isolate the instruments I "care' about.

Thanks,
Ron

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar,rec.music.makers.percussion,soc.subculture.bondage-bdsm,talk.politics.libertarian
Gutter Butt Gutter Butt is offline

wrote:
[...]

\/
__.---;_
.' './'0)',\
|o) | | ';
:'--; \.__/' ;
;.' ( | LIFE'S HARD WHEN YOU'RE
__.-' _.) | A ****ING RETARD
---=="=----''' |
;^; . ^+^^;
;^ : : ^;
\ { :_ /
^'-; :'--'^
",,____,,-'

__ _______ ______
============(((=======(((============ dlK

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar,rec.music.makers.percussion
Nil Nil is offline

On 23 Oct 2006, Mark Outrage wrote in
alt.guitar:

it's probably a "type 0" midi file (???); yeah, that's legit.
I think there's a cakewalk .cal script that will break that out
for you; it will split each instrument (or maybe each channel)
into a separate track.

Seems to me that when you open a type 0 MIDI file with Sonar, it does
put each channel on a separate track. Usually the drums are all on
channel 10, so they will be on one track. There is a CAL called "Split
Notes to Tracks.CAL" that will separate each drum to a separate track.
It's available at the Cakewalk site:

ftp://ftp.cakewalk.com/pub/CAL/

I also have another CAL called "Drumsplit" or something that does a
similar job. If you can't find it and you want to try it, please email
me (remove the obvious spam foiler text in the address.)
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar,rec.music.makers.percussion
Yard Dog Yard Dog is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I use Cool Edit Pro 2.1 and it does a spectacular job of just singling out
one track. You can right click on the file once you have it in Cool Edits
multitrack view and select any single or multiple instruments. I dont know
why many people dont refer to this software because it does everything you
can think of and is soooooooo easy to use.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar,rec.music.makers.percussion
Rv! Rv! is offline

I use Cool Edit Pro 2.1 and it does a spectacular job of just singling out
one track. You can right click on the file once you have it in Cool Edits multitrack view and select any single or multiple
instruments. I dont know why many people dont refer to this software because it does everything you can think of and is soooooooo
easy to use.

Excellent software but now well screwed up by Adobe. I use Audition 1.5 and
will not upgrade as it's a terrible re-learning curve. I know people who did and
they continue to use 1.5 for most jobs. Before Audition I owned and used most
Cool Edit versions, which as you say, are very easy and very functional.

The biggest problem is now that nobody can buy this stuff since Adobe fecked
it in such a huge way. I now recommend Sonar to those wanting decent and "cheap".

Rv!

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar,rec.music.makers.percussion
Yard Dog Yard Dog is offline

"Rv!" wrote in message
.uk...

[...]

Wow I wasn't aware of that issue. I am glad I have backups on CD because I
love Cooledit Pro. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever and that is
very rare in PC based programs. All the VST's I have and every other plugin
I can think of works great with it too. Now I just have to figger out how to
utilize those plugins. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar,rec.music.makers.percussion
joedmiso joedmiso is offline

Hey you can use thepiratebay.org and download the software without
problems...must have a bittorrent downloader..

bye

Yard Dog wrote:
.uk...

Newbie Home Studio Setup MrD Pro Audio 5 May 20th 05 10:08 AM
Please help me settle this Protools VS Analog Consoles debate Paul Motter Pro Audio 4 June 21st 04 12:14 PM
MIDI question from Protools Newbie clippy Pro Audio 7 December 19th 03 07:09 PM
Extracting audio metadata Gaz General 2 October 27th 03 04:28 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sonar vs cubase: final verdict.. O_Zean Pro Audio 0 August 1st 03 03:42 PM