Chaos Master

Default How do I get rid of the speaker noise?

Hello people

With my PC I have the problem of getting noise on the speakers.

When I turn the volume a bit high there is an annoying noise.
Same noise happens when I am connected to the Internet with a 56k modem (HSP
MicroModem).
It sometimes looks like pure white noise, other times looks like my speakers are
receiving radio signals.
There are no people that do radio transmissions (e.g. hams) nearby but I live
near an airport.
If I disable sound in MS-Windows' volume control the noise stops but it's
difficult to listen to music

What can be causing this noise on my computer speakers and how to get rid of it?

[]s
--
Chaos Master® - Posting from Brazil
MSN: / ICQ: 126735906

CJT

Chaos Master wrote:

Hello people

With my PC I have the problem of getting noise on the speakers.

When I turn the volume a bit high there is an annoying noise.
Same noise happens when I am connected to the Internet with a 56k modem (HSP
MicroModem).
It sometimes looks like pure white noise, other times looks like my speakers are
receiving radio signals.
There are no people that do radio transmissions (e.g. hams) nearby but I live
near an airport.
If I disable sound in MS-Windows' volume control the noise stops but it's
difficult to listen to music

What can be causing this noise on my computer speakers and how to get rid of it?

[]s

Sometimes muting the microphone input helps.

Todd H.

Chaos Master writes:

Hello people

With my PC I have the problem of getting noise on the speakers.

When I turn the volume a bit high there is an annoying noise.
Same noise happens when I am connected to the Internet with a 56k modem (HSP
MicroModem).
It sometimes looks like pure white noise, other times looks like my speakers are
receiving radio signals.
There are no people that do radio transmissions (e.g. hams) nearby but I live
near an airport.
If I disable sound in MS-Windows' volume control the noise stops but it's
difficult to listen to music

What can be causing this noise on my computer speakers and how to
get rid of it?

I know I have a ground loop in my system somewhere that causes some
wacky annoying noises when I have 2 computers both plugged into a
single speaker system (which has 2 inputs).

Are you pluggin your speakers, modem and computer into the same
outlet? If not, try that and see if the problem goes away.

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
Chaos Master

Mas barbaridade! CJT tu escreveste isto tchê?

Sometimes muting the microphone input helps.

Not, in fact I don't have a mic and muting the Audio CD input cures a lot of the
noise.

[]s
--
Chaos Master® - Posting from Porto Alegre, Brazil
MSN: / ICQ: 126735906
BRASNET: Wizard_of_Yendor at #POA, #Canoas, #XLinuxNews
NetHack in Portuguese:
http://nethack-pt.sourceforge.net/

Chaos Master

Mas barbaridade! Todd H. tu escreveste isto tchê?

I know I have a ground loop in my system somewhere that causes some
wacky annoying noises when I have 2 computers both plugged into a
single speaker system (which has 2 inputs).

Are you pluggin your speakers, modem and computer into the same
outlet? If not, try that and see if the problem goes away.

Yes, they're all plugged into the same outlet, via a line filter.
I've found that muting the Audio CD (!) input cures the problem.

[]s
--
Chaos Master® - Posting from Porto Alegre, Brazil
MSN: / ICQ: 126735906
BRASNET: Wizard_of_Yendor at #POA, #Canoas, #XLinuxNews
NetHack in Portuguese:
http://nethack-pt.sourceforge.net/

Todd H.

Chaos Master writes:

Mas barbaridade! CJT tu escreveste isto tchê?

Sometimes muting the microphone input helps.

Not, in fact I don't have a mic and muting the Audio CD input cures a lot of the
noise.

That's not surprising. The analog audio cd input and the microphone
input aren't all tha tdifferent from each other--they're both analog
inputs that can have noise on them even if they're disconnected.

Glad you solved your problem.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."

Question about Speaker Stands or Mounts jon s. General 0 March 2nd 04 02:12 PM
Help with speaker noise Mike & Kristen General 4 January 11th 04 07:53 AM
Looking for white noise or crahing surf CD Entity General 1 December 23rd 03 08:16 PM
Noise Reduction Software? RonB General 3 November 2nd 03 02:09 PM
Residual birdies after noise reduction Paddy General 1 September 28th 03 12:11 PM