Posted to rec.audio.pro
Haolemon Haolemon is offline

Default Typical Uses for Classic Compressors

While I understand that everyone has their own approach to using the
various tools available, I'm interested in what the applications most
commonly are for several compressors. What I'm interested in finding
out is how the devices are used-tracking, mixing, 2-bus, mastering.
And also on what instruments. The devices a

LA2A (or the Manley ELOP, etc.) I know people use this track vocals,
but where else is it often deployed?

Fairchild (or Manley Vari-Mu, or Pendulum, etc.) The 2-bus, and ?

1176

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
YourHomeStudioDotCom YourHomeStudioDotCom is offline

Well,
I've not had the opportunity to work with any of these legendary
compressors but one of the common uses for a single channel compressor
of course is during tracking. Another use for a single channel
compressor is during mixing as an insert. You can use one to compress
group vocals using an auxilliary send. 2 Channel compressors are
generally used during mix-down and for mastering. If the compressor has
side-chain operation, you have some other options such as quieting down
a string bed when the lead vocal is present, etc. I know you are
looking for some specific uses for specific compressors but your best
bet is to try them in some different situations and see what you
prefer. "One man's pleasure is another man's poison"

Thomas
www.yourhomestudio.com

Free Home Studio Newsletter -

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Wozniak Michael  Wozniak is offline

"Haolemon" wrote in message
ups.com...
While I understand that everyone has their own approach to using the
various tools available, I'm interested in what the applications most
commonly are for several compressors. What I'm interested in finding
out is how the devices are used-tracking, mixing, 2-bus, mastering.
And also on what instruments. The devices a

LA2A (or the Manley ELOP, etc.) I know people use this track vocals,
but where else is it often deployed?

Fairchild (or Manley Vari-Mu, or Pendulum, etc.) The 2-bus, and ?

1176

Thanks

1176 - I hated in on single drums, LOVED it on female vox, good on male vox
as well. For some reason, I liked it more on mixdown than I did during
tracking - maybe just because I had more time to dial it in. I didn't care
for it on bass (I prefer dbx 160 series), I did rather like it on guitars.
Sounds like it handles midrange sources well - anyone care to confirm or
deny?

Mikey
Nova Music Productions

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6 Aug 2006 19:23:28 -0700, "YourHomeStudioDotCom"
wrote:

I've not had the opportunity to work with any of these legendary
compressors but one of the common uses for a single channel compressor
of course is during tracking.

Though there's no need on a digital system to (irretrievably) compress
while recording. Now we no longer need to record hot to get an
acceptable s/n figure, compression can be applied (if needed for
artistic reasons) later in the mixing process.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

wrote:

I've not had the opportunity to work with any of these legendary
compressors but one of the common uses for a single channel compressor
of course is during tracking.

I always compress while recording when I know I want to: a) control the
dymanmics a bit - e.g. using an LA3a on a lead vocal, or b) shape and
change the sound - 1176 on congas, and again on a timbales kit with wood
blocks and cowbell - all 3 of which I did today.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com