Comboverfish

Default Newbie Cry for Help: 1995 Chevy K1500 P/U Stereo

You have some common GM truck stereo issues here. Here is how they are
repaired normally.

You *can* get backlight bulbs for the radio buttons at the GM dealer.
I don't know how they are sourced otherwise. They will be expensive,
according to an authorized Delco radio repair shop owner I talked to
last year.

The CD player isn't worth attempting to "diagnose". It probably either
doesn't power up, or displays an error message. You can get a
remanufactured CD player exchange either at a local Delco rebuilder
(cheapest best option) or at the Dealer (same thing but marked up) or
through places like Ebay which are expensive but require no exchange.
Used units are available on Ebay but I wouldn't think of going that
route. They want over $100 for an ungaranteed used player -- no
thanks!

Toyota MDT in MO

Tim Kett

Comboverfish wrote in article
.com...
You have some common GM truck stereo issues here. Here is how they are
repaired normally.

You *can* get backlight bulbs for the radio buttons at the GM dealer.
I don't know how they are sourced otherwise. They will be expensive,
according to an authorized Delco radio repair shop owner I talked to
last year.

Suitable substitutes can be had cheaper, almost definately BUT *you are
totally right about the CD player* ! Its scrap ! At 1995, I would just
throw an aftermarket in it, but your suggestions are easier for the novice.

The CD player isn't worth attempting to "diagnose". It probably either
doesn't power up, or displays an error message. You can get a
remanufactured CD player exchange either at a local Delco rebuilder
(cheapest best option) or at the Dealer (same thing but marked up) or
through places like Ebay which are expensive but require no exchange.
Used units are available on Ebay but I wouldn't think of going that
route. They want over $100 for an ungaranteed used player -- no
thanks!

Toyota MDT in MO

Comboverfish

Jerry G. wrote:

As for the front panel, the parts are not available, and are not

worth it.

I don't agree with this, in reference to the OP's need for several
button backlight bulbs. GM parts can get the bulbs. Keep in mind a
parts department is only as good as the counter help you happen upon on
any given day...
And the independant Delco Authorized reman shops install new bulbs that
they source from a wholesale vendor, at a huge price savings. But they
also buy a load at a time and have a wholesale account setup. The OP
probably can't do this, so the GM dealer parts department is his only
easy option.

Note: Many of these car radios used proprietary speakers. When

replacing the
radio to a different type, you will most likely need a new set of

compatible
speakers for the radio you are buying.

This is not true. Most car stereos' built-in amps are quite hearty and
can handle just about anything next to a shorted load, and even then
some have short protection. You will, however, need to use a wire
harnass adapter or wire the generic aftermarket radio pigtail into the
factory wiring somehow to get sound to your existing speakers.

I agree that the OP could put in a fairly cheap aftermarket unit, even
one made specifically to fit that oversized GM opening. But a decent
mid priced unit will be aprox $200 - $250 whereas in my case I bought a
reman CD right from the independent shop with 1 year warrantee for
$180. I like the factory system and the way its laid out. I hate most
new radios with flashy junky vacuum flourescent or LCD displays and
dozens of tiny buttons. If the OP got just the bulbs he needed for the
radio and a new CD player he would come in well under the cost of a GM
direct fit Jensen plus harnass or a standard DIN sized unit plus
mounting kit plus harnass.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I appreciate your comments but they
needed to be addressed.

Toyota MDT in MO