Thomas Miller

Default advice needed to repair amp

I have a sony str-de325 receiver/amp that I am going to attempt to
repair myself. For some reason the Left channel is not working, I am
guessing because I the + and - speaker outputs from the left chanell
touched thus blowing the channel. At one point the problem was
intermmitent, so I am thinking something may be loose? Sorry for the
bad description of the problem, this will my first time attempting to
describe and repair electronics.

I have no specialized equipment at all, but I am sure I can make a
tester if need be. I have a soldering iron. If anyone could walk me
through troubleshooting and repairing this it would be GREATLY
appreciated.
Mark D. Zacharias

Such a problem would usually result in a Protect mode. This is a hopeful
sign, because it may mean that the amp channel is not actually "blown".
There is a chance of some residual DC voltage still lurking in there. You
should take a resistor and use it to bleed off any DC, then you could try
removing the rear panel and look for bad / broken solder connections at the
speaker jacks.
Repairing an amp channel on these is really a job for a shop.

Mark Z.

"Thomas Miller" wrote in message
om...
I have a sony str-de325 receiver/amp that I am going to attempt to
repair myself. For some reason the Left channel is not working, I am
guessing because I the + and - speaker outputs from the left chanell
touched thus blowing the channel. At one point the problem was
intermmitent, so I am thinking something may be loose? Sorry for the
bad description of the problem, this will my first time attempting to
describe and repair electronics.

I have no specialized equipment at all, but I am sure I can make a
tester if need be. I have a soldering iron. If anyone could walk me
through troubleshooting and repairing this it would be GREATLY
appreciated.

Thomas Miller

Thanks guys,
I am located in Chantilly, VA close to DC.

This stereo does supposedly have "Protect Mode". If it is in protect
mode how would I know it is in that mode? Nothing comes up in the LCD
saying that.

I was able to locate a service manual schematic.

Unitron, let me clarify. I am not sure about what occured first. All
that I know is that sometimes I would get sound out of the left
speaker, and sometimes it would be dead. Not it seems to be dead all
the time.

Tom

I'm sure I'll hate myself for getting started on this, but...

What is your geographical location, not street address, just city.

Did the shorting of the left channel speaker terminals occur before
the intermittent performance began or after? Did the left channel
quit working immediately after the speaker terminal shorting?

Jorgen Lundman

This might be more noise than help as I don't have your model (I have
a TA-VE170 - probably much older).

I found it was intermittedly going into PROTECTED mode, which turned
out to be the fan not always spinning. If I would help it along it
would be fine until the next time it got stuck.

Maybe I was just lucky it was something so straight forward. I get the
feeling these units are well made.

Lund