Posted to rec.audio.pro
thepaulthomas thepaulthomas is offline

Default Dominator 700 (old model) question

Can anyone tell me the maximum input level that an older model Aphex
Dominator (model 700) can handle? Thanks.

-Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

On Dec 8, 9:36 pm, thepaulthomas
wrote:
Can anyone tell me the maximum input level that an older model Aphex
Dominator (model 700) can handle? Thanks.

-Paul

My newer one can handle +26dBu that's a lot higher than most boards
can put out.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Can anyone tell me the maximum input level that an older model Aphex
Dominator (model 700) can handle? Thanks.

-Paul

My newer one can handle +26dBu that's a lot higher than most boards
can put out.

Thanks, Richard. I read the spec's for the current model 720 Dominator
and the FOH mixer I'm using does indeed max out at +26 dB (Allen and
Heath GL-2800). However I'm installing an older model 700 Dominator at
the venue where I work and unfortunately Aphex doesn't archive
anything once a model is discontinued. Maybe another r.a.p. reader has
a model 700 manual sitting around somewhere and can confirm whether or
not the older Dominators can handle that same input level (in an
abslute worst case scenario of course). Thanks again.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

thepaulthomas wrote:

I'm installing an older model 700 Dominator at
the venue where I work and unfortunately Aphex doesn't archive
anything once a model is discontinued.

I didn't answer at first because I thought maybe you were thinking to
buy one, and my suggestion wouldn't help you. Since you've got it
already, just hook it up and try it. Put a tone into the console, crank
it up so that the meters just pin, and see if that causes the Dominator
to clip.

Simple.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 9, 3:40*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
thepaulthomas wrote:
I'm installing an older model 700 Dominator at
the venue where I work and unfortunately Aphex doesn't archive
anything once a model is discontinued.

I didn't answer at first because I thought maybe you were thinking to
buy one, and my suggestion wouldn't help you. Since you've got it
already, just hook it up and try it. Put a tone into the console, crank
it up so that the meters just pin, and see if that causes the Dominator
to clip.

Simple.

me he
)

Thanks, Mike. You're right. That is more than likely how I will end up
having to test it out when I go in to install it next week. I'll check
back and let you all know if I learn anything unusual or interesting
about the unit.