Posted to rec.audio.pro
FCM Wiesmans FCM Wiesmans is offline

Default mixing 2 voice files to 1 new voice file - how?

Hi there !

I have 2 voice-files, both some 5 minutes in length - one 4:45
min:secs, the other 5:10 min:secs - that I want to mix to 1 new voice-
file.

I have no experience with digital editing software whatsoever, so
maybe someone can help me out.

To have both files start and end at the same time, I realize that
there are 2 solutions :

- cutting in one file or add pauses to the other;
- speed up one voice file or slow down the other voice file

After that I need some other 'effects'. I would like that some points
in each file coincide with eachother. For that I need to place 'marks'
in each file, and have the software (automatically) 'steer' to those
points, by f.i. adding pauses in one of the files..

Last but not least, a the simplest question, I need some 'effects' to
happen:

- the channels should at some points 'turn' during replay (and/or keep
turning) (left changing with right, right changing with left)
- the left or right channel should at some points be 'stressed', the
volume should temporarily rise (and drop).

Any advice for what software to use - and how to use it - is very
welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help !

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 01:42:36 -0700, FCM Wiesmans
wrote:

[...]

Probably the easiest way to achieve this is to have both your files
open in their own windows, then copy and paste pieces of them into a
third, new file. You can put the pieces where you want them.

In Audition the way I would do this is to create a new file of the
necessary length by using the Generate Silence function, then paste
the pieces of the other files in where I wanted them to go.

Audition will happily swap left and right channels wherever you want
it to, and also change the volume up or down as you wish.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Whealy Chris Whealy is offline

FCM Wiesmans wrote:
[...]

Audacity can do this for you. You'll also need to download the Lame DLL
if you want to process MP3 files, but both are free and readily
downloadable.

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 25, 4:42 am, FCM Wiesmans wrote:

I have 2 voice-files, both some 5 minutes in length - one 4:45
min:secs, the other 5:10 min:secs - that I want to mix to 1 new voice-
file.

To have both files start and end at the same time, I realize that
there are 2 solutions :

- cutting in one file or add pauses to the other;
- speed up one voice file or slow down the other voice file

So you want to hear both voices simultaneously? And adjust the length
of one file to match the other?

After that I need some other 'effects'. I would like that some points
in each file coincide with eachother. For that I need to place 'marks'
in each file, and have the software (automatically) 'steer' to those
points, by f.i. adding pauses in one of the files..

This sounds like a job for the kind of software that's used for "auto-
conforming" when mixing sound for film. Usually it's used to make
sound effects coincide with dialog, or make a music hit coincide with
a sound effect. This is good if you have a lot of those cues (like
several thousand in a 2 hour movie) and a good sized budget, but
unless you're planning to make up a large number of these file mixes,
it probably doesn't pay to get the big cannon to do this little job.
Use a simple editor. It'll probably take you less than an hour.

- the channels should at some points 'turn' during replay (and/or keep
turning) (left changing with right, right changing with left)
- the left or right channel should at some points be 'stressed', the
volume should temporarily rise (and drop).

Again, this is something that would best be done manually.

Any advice for what software to use - and how to use it - is very
welcome.

Adobe Audition has all the capability you need. There are free/share/
tryware programs such as N-Track Studio or Reaper that have similar
capabilities, so you might grab one of those (they're Windows
programs. I don't know what to tell you if you have a Mac) and see
what you can do just piddling around. You'll probably get the hang of
it pretty quickly.

As to how to use it, there are so many ways that you just have to
learn how to work the program and apply what makes sense. Or get
someone to do the job for you. How important is it that you do it
yourself?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

[...]

Forget about anything automatic. This is a manual editing job. Line
both files up in a multitrack editor, snip, cut, move, draw panning
and volume envelopes until you've got what you want. If you've got
nothing better, Audacity will probably do the job.