Posted to rec.audio.pro
tommy banana

Default subwoofer different make to monitors?

hi
could I use a different make ( ie cheaper) sub woofer with a pair of
more expensive higher quality monitors?

cheers

Tommuy Banana

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"tommy banana" wrote ...
could I use a different make ( ie cheaper) sub woofer
with a pair of more expensive higher quality monitors?

Maybe. Depends on a lot of facts not in evidence.
We don't have a clue what kind of speakers or subs
you are considering, and particularly whether any of
them are active or passive, etc. etc. etc.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
William Sommerwerck

Yes.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
ostaz

I'm using Tannoy passive Reveals with an old Infinity servo sub. Sounds
great.

Pete

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Yes.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

tommy banana wrote:

hi
could I use a different make ( ie cheaper) sub woofer with a pair of
more expensive higher quality monitors?

By all means. Use what works / sounds good.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
tommy banana

Richard Crowley wrote:
"tommy banana" wrote ...
could I use a different make ( ie cheaper) sub woofer
with a pair of more expensive higher quality monitors?

Maybe. Depends on a lot of facts not in evidence.
We don't have a clue what kind of speakers or subs
you are considering, and particularly whether any of
them are active or passive, etc. etc. etc.

was considering quested s6 (active) with a sub from say blue sky?

cheers

Tommy Banana

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"tommy banana" wrote ...

Richard Crowley wrote:
"tommy banana" wrote ...
could I use a different make ( ie cheaper) sub woofer
with a pair of more expensive higher quality monitors?

Maybe. Depends on a lot of facts not in evidence.
We don't have a clue what kind of speakers or subs
you are considering, and particularly whether any of
them are active or passive, etc. etc. etc.

was considering quested s6 (active) with a sub from say blue sky?

Why not? From this distance, we couldn't tell if you were
looking at some kind of plastic "computer speakers" or
something?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

tommy banana wrote:
could I use a different make ( ie cheaper) sub woofer with a pair of
more expensive higher quality monitors?

Yes, but it might not sound good.

Do you want a sub to extend the response of your monitors, or do you
want it to make flabby, out of control low end, so you can judge how
things will sound on car stereos and club systems? Both are legitimate
uses for subwoofers, but require totally different design and setup.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

tommy banana wrote:
Richard Crowley wrote:
"tommy banana" wrote ...
could I use a different make ( ie cheaper) sub woofer
with a pair of more expensive higher quality monitors?

Maybe. Depends on a lot of facts not in evidence.
We don't have a clue what kind of speakers or subs
you are considering, and particularly whether any of
them are active or passive, etc. etc. etc.

was considering quested s6 (active) with a sub from say blue sky?

Do you have the Questeds in the room right now? If so, what does it
sound like and what numbers do you get on a simple swept-sine measurement?

I believe the Blue Sky doesn't go all that low, really, and is intended
to cross over kind of high. It also has an integral crossover which you
will be paying money for but won't be able to use.

I'd suggest looking at the Hsu Research sub. It's not very expensive,
and it won't go super-loud, but it should be a decent mate to the
Questeds. You will need an amp and crossover for it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
seriousfun

I wouldn't restrict subwoofer choice to the same brand, but I wouldn't
aim too low here.

Remember that bass frequencies take a lot more energy to reproduce than
high frequencies, so make sure you use enough subwoofer (combination of
driver, box, and amplifier) to play bass with as much headroom as your
mains. You have to choose a subwoofer (or subwoofers) which can fill
your room effectively - bass works very differently than highs. I would
stick with a similar design - ported v. sealed, for example.

The best crossover point is where each main speaker is -3 dB, but often
a fixed 80 Hz high pass and low pass can work (the octave below this
typically has problems caused by the room, and subwoofer placement can
help negate these while little or nothing can be done to main speakers
to fix these). I wouldn't rule out choosing a subwoofer like the Blue
Sky because of its fixed crossover, since it is a great value (sealed
cabinet, affordable, clean and quiet, etc.), but there are a lot of
well-made subwoofers available.

Most people who dismiss the use of subwoofers base this judgement on
experience with systems where the subwoofer is underpowered, poorly
calibrated, and improperly integrated with the mains.

tommy banana wrote:
hi
could I use a different make ( ie cheaper) sub woofer with a pair of
more expensive higher quality monitors?

cheers

Tommuy Banana

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne

On 31 May 2006 19:41:44 -0700, "tommy banana"
wrote:

could I use a different make ( ie cheaper) sub woofer with a pair of
more expensive higher quality monitors?

Sure. But if it's crap it's crap. Whatever the label on it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
tommy banana

wrote:

could I use a different make ( ie cheaper) sub woofer with a pair of
more expensive higher quality monitors?

Sure. But if it's crap it's crap. Whatever the label on it.

Thanks for all the replies. Very useful.
Hus sound interesting.....

cheers

Tommy banana

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

tommy banana wrote:
Laurence Payne wrote:
wrote:

could I use a different make ( ie cheaper) sub woofer with a pair of
more expensive higher quality monitors?

Sure. But if it's crap it's crap. Whatever the label on it.

Some folks will argue that sometimes you want a system that sounds like
crap, for check mix purposes. I don't personally work that way, but I
have seen people do it and get good results.

Thanks for all the replies. Very useful.
Hus sound interesting.....

Whatever you do, get a real crossover. If you're allowing the mains to run
full-range (like some people do), you're missing most of the benefit of a
sub. Some powered subwoofers have real crossovers with adjustable filters,
but most don't. There's no reason not to use an outboard one, though.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
St. John Smythe

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Some folks will argue that sometimes you want a system that sounds like
crap, for check mix purposes. I don't personally work that way, but I
have seen people do it and get good results.

In the '60s, when the kids were all walking around with AM transistor
radios stuck to their ears, it was not uncommon to listen to the mix
through a transistor radio speaker before calling it "done."

Now that even the cheapest playback devices have reasonable fidelity
(particularly in comparison to those days), I suppose there's not as
much need to do that sort of thing any more.

--
St. John Smythe
The early bird gets the coffee left over from the night before.