sancho

Default 2 ways speakers and 3 ways

In my band we have 2 ways speakers, we play andean music, panflutes, classic
guitar, drum, just accoustic sound.
I wonder if we buy 3 ways speaker is going to make any difference.
The way that I understand is the we are not getting the mid freq it all, the
speakers we use has the horn and the huge speaker about 18" diameter.
Few years ago we used to perform with my 15" home stereo speaker(ja ja) but
the sound was great, we don't play very loud, we play in private parties and
festivals. The speaker that we use now(2 ways) are JBL, I know that are very
good speakers but maybe with should get other speakers.
Anybody has any advice?
thanks

..

Joe Kesselman

You are probably losing your high frequencies, not your mids, by having
a 2-way system.

Whether adding a tweeter will improve your sound depends on exactly what
you're using now, exactly what you're thinking of buying, what you're
playing and how picky you are about it sounding exactly right rather
than just sounding good.
RD Jones

sancho wrote:

In my band we have 2 ways speakers, we play andean music, panflutes, classic
guitar, drum, just accoustic sound.
I wonder if we buy 3 ways speaker is going to make any difference.
The way that I understand is the we are not getting the mid freq it all, the
speakers we use has the horn and the huge speaker about 18" diameter.
Few years ago we used to perform with my 15" home stereo speaker(ja ja) but
the sound was great, we don't play very loud, we play in private parties and
festivals. The speaker that we use now(2 ways) are JBL, I know that are very
good speakers but maybe with should get other speakers.
Anybody has any advice?

The way to get 'better' sound for a band's system
is usually to avoid having a crossover point in the
important voice midrange. But since efficiency is
also very important due to volume level requirements
this means a 3 way system. 10" or 12" speakers are
almost always better sounding than a horn or 15-18"
cones especially off axis.
300-3000cps is a good range to keep intact but this
can be fiddled with a bit for a large (meaning band)
system.
This allows a smaller tweeter with better high end
extention and larger cones for better lows.

In your case I think a 3 way setup will be a noticable
improvement. It does not need to be an active tri-amp
arrangment either... passive between mid and high
with a separate low end amp works well.

good luck
rd

Jonny Durango

sancho wrote:
In my band we have 2 ways speakers, we play andean music, panflutes, classic
guitar, drum, just accoustic sound.
I wonder if we buy 3 ways speaker is going to make any difference.
The way that I understand is the we are not getting the mid freq it all, the
speakers we use has the horn and the huge speaker about 18" diameter.
Few years ago we used to perform with my 15" home stereo speaker(ja ja) but
the sound was great, we don't play very loud, we play in private parties and
festivals. The speaker that we use now(2 ways) are JBL, I know that are very
good speakers but maybe with should get other speakers.
Anybody has any advice?
thanks

You probably won't notice much of a difference in the sound, unless the
speakers are of vastly different quality. A two way speaker means the
crossover splits the incoming signal in into two different signals. One
contains lower frequencies and the other contains higher frequencies.
They are usually split right around 3k. Obviously the highs are sent to
one speaker and the lows sent to another. This way, the woofer only
needs to handle lows, which it is made for, and the tweeters only need
to handles highs, which they are made for.

Now, if you get a three-way system, the incoming signal is split into
(yep you guessed it) 3 signals, a high mid and low....each signal is
sent to a speaker or speakers that specialize in handling that frequency
range. Now, that doesn't mean that a woofer CAN'T reproduce high
frequencies or that a mid-range speaker CAN'T reproduce lower
freqencies....they just aren't made for it. In fact some manufacturers
(like Lowther) make speakers that are made to handle all freqs.

Anyway, a three way system does not automatically sound better than a
two way. Most high-end studio monitors are two way. I have a pair of BBC
mini monitors that cost over a thousand dollars for two very small
little speakers and they are two way and they sound great.

Jonny Durango
Scott Dorsey

In article , sancho wrote:
In my band we have 2 ways speakers, we play andean music, panflutes, classic
guitar, drum, just accoustic sound.

So, what kind of speakers are they?

I wonder if we buy 3 ways speaker is going to make any difference.
The way that I understand is the we are not getting the mid freq it all, the
speakers we use has the horn and the huge speaker about 18" diameter.

Your problem may be that your speakers are not very good, or they are
designed for a different job than the one you are using. Or maybe they
are broken.

Don't worry about whether they are 2-way or 3-way, worry about whether
they do the job. You can get good speakers in a whole bunch of different
configurations that will all do the job for you.

Few years ago we used to perform with my 15" home stereo speaker(ja ja) but
the sound was great, we don't play very loud, we play in private parties and
festivals. The speaker that we use now(2 ways) are JBL, I know that are very
good speakers but maybe with should get other speakers.

What model JBL are they?

Do you need to have any low end in the mains? Bass, guitarron? Or do
you just have pipes, guitar, and vocals in the PA?

Arny Krueger

"sancho" wrote in message

In my band we have 2 ways speakers, we play andean music,
panflutes, classic guitar, drum, just accoustic sound.

Acoustic drums or electronic drums?

I wonder if we buy 3 ways speaker is going to make any
difference.

Since no two different speakers sound alike, different
speakers are going to sound different.

The way that I understand is the we are not getting the
mid freq it all, the speakers we use has the horn and the
huge speaker about 18" diameter.

In theory its possible to cross a large horn and an 18"
driver in a somewhat sensible way. In practice it doesn't
seem to happen a lot because the horn has to be pretty large
for this to work.

Even if you sucessfully cross an 18" driver to a large horn,
its pretty much guaranteed that the resulting system will be
rather highly directive in the midrange. If the horn has
enough directionality to match up with the 18" driver, then
its going to have maybe 50-75 degree coverage above 800 Hz
which is narrow.

If the horn is too small, then you're going to have a
frequency response hole in the midrange most places but
right in front of the speaker system. Given that performers
usually stand to the side or behind the main speakers, they
are oging to have problems hearing the mid (and probably
high) frequencies.

Few years ago we used to perform with my 15" home stereo
speaker(ja ja) but the sound was great, we don't play
very loud, we play in private parties and festivals.

Home stereo speakers as a rule lack the robustness and
ability to generate loud noises that you need for most sound
reinforcement jobs.

15" happens to be about the largest speaker that is commonly
used in 2-way systems, and for many applications its on the
edge. 15" can work in a well-designed system if you don't
want a wide coverage area with just one speaker.

The speaker that we use now(2 ways) are JBL, I know that
are
very good speakers but maybe with should get other
speakers.

How many of these JBL 2-ways do you have?

What is the model number?

Anybody has any advice?

Other than the drums (if they are electronic) you don't have
much that would seem to need a ton of low frequency
response. The use of 18" speakers seems questionable
especially if you only have one speaker system.

Laurence Payne

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:45:03 -0600, "sancho" wrote:

In my band we have 2 ways speakers, we play andean music, panflutes, classic
guitar, drum, just accoustic sound.
I wonder if we buy 3 ways speaker is going to make any difference.
The way that I understand is the we are not getting the mid freq it all, the
speakers we use has the horn and the huge speaker about 18" diameter.
Few years ago we used to perform with my 15" home stereo speaker(ja ja) but
the sound was great, we don't play very loud, we play in private parties and
festivals. The speaker that we use now(2 ways) are JBL, I know that are very
good speakers but maybe with should get other speakers.
Anybody has any advice?
thanks

It isn't about 2-way or 3-way. Try different speakers by all means.
But judge with your ears, not your eyes.

If the home stereo speakers sounded great, why did you change them?
sancho

we play Acoustic drum, 2 JBL speakers I will find out the model #.
I don't use my 3 way home stereo speaker anymore because we busted the 15"
drives.

thanks everybody for the helps.

[...]

sancho

thanks for the input, the reason why I asked is because we(me and other
musician) are not happy with the sound..
I'm not a person who know all the terms about speakers, drives, horns, etc,
so I only use my ears to define if the sound is good or not.
I noticed last friday about this new speaker that we are using for the last
few month, are JBL 2 ways and I just got the idea to ask in this forum
because I beleive will make a difference if we use 2 ways or 3 ways
speakers, but I would like to know the reason why is going to be better with
3 ways instead 2 ways, I'm learning already with the few answers that I got
in my post, thank you very much.
The Power Mixer is this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...ail/base_pid/6
30923/

One guy in my band invest some money in this new system, and I use my sound
system in my home studio only.
My old home stereo speaker are in storage because we busted the subwoofer
and I will build other set when I get new subwoofers.
Now I have 2 set(4 speakers) in my basement studio and are 130W each for my
basement is plenty. they are Pioneer home stereo speakers, my mixer is a
Mackie 1402-VLZ-Pro with 6 XLR, I love it.
thanks again.

It isn't about 2-way or 3-way. Try different speakers by all means.
But judge with your ears, not your eyes.

If the home stereo speakers sounded great, why did you change them?

sancho

here is the mixer:

Soundcraft GigRac 300 8-Channel Powered Mixer

Scott Dorsey

In article , sancho wrote:
thanks for the input, the reason why I asked is because we(me and other
musician) are not happy with the sound..
I'm not a person who know all the terms about speakers, drives, horns, etc,
so I only use my ears to define if the sound is good or not.

So, get a recorder, record the feed at the board.

Then take it to a place with a lot of pro audio gear, and play that
recording back through a bunch of different speakers.

Buy the speakers that sound good.

Don't get hung up on technology. Don't worry about what is in the box
or what name is on the front. You have the most powerful tool possible,
your ears. They are the _only_ thing that will guide you to the speakers
that are just right for your group.

Tim Martin

"sancho" wrote in message
In my band we have 2 ways speakers, we play andean music, panflutes,

classic
guitar, drum, just accoustic sound.
I wonder if we buy 3 ways speaker is going to make any difference.

Is there a problem with the sound?

Tim