Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default One of my RE15's went

I was doing a little demo session with a singer this afternoon and I threw up one of my RE15's on the acoustic guitar. The output was even more weak than usual and transients made a little low mid freq popping noise. I know there isn't much that can go wrong with these mics- I have 3 of them and though I got them at varying times, they all sounded very close. Do you think it's repairable/what do you think it is? Or is it time to thank it for its service.....

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Check your 48V power supply.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thekma @ thekma.dum wrote in message
Check your 48V power supply.

Dumb ****.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 01/04/2015 05:04, Nate Najar wrote:
I was doing a little demo session with a singer this afternoon and I threw up one of my RE15's on the acoustic guitar. The output was even more weak than usual and transients made a little low mid freq popping noise. I know there isn't much that can go wrong with these mics- I have 3 of them and though I got them at varying times, they all sounded very close. Do you think it's repairable/what do you think it is? Or is it time to thank it for its service.....

Have you tried a different cable and/ or turning off the phantom power
on that channel? And using a different channel? All obvious stuff, but
you never know.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/1/2015 6:53 AM, wrote:
Check your 48V power supply.

No need. They're wind-powered.

--
For a good time, visit
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/1/2015 7:36 AM, John Williamson wrote:
Have you tried a different cable and/ or turning off the phantom power
on that channel? And using a different channel?

I'm sure you know that the RE-15 does not require phantom power.

If it was connected with a shorted cable with phantom power turned on,
the mic could have been damaged. But by then, it would be too late.
Turning off phantom power would provide no further information.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W[_3_] Phil W[_3_] is offline

Mike Rivers:
On 4/1/2015 6:53 AM, wrote:

Check your 48V power supply.

No need. They're wind-powered.

--
For a good time, visit
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Maybe our loudness wars-trollīs try to make an Aprilīs fools day joke?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 01/04/2015 13:06, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/1/2015 7:36 AM, John Williamson wrote:
Have you tried a different cable and/ or turning off the phantom power
on that channel? And using a different channel?

I'm sure you know that the RE-15 does not require phantom power.

If it was connected with a shorted cable with phantom power turned on,
the mic could have been damaged. But by then, it would be too late.
Turning off phantom power would provide no further information.

Unless the problem's in the mixer?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Nate Najar wrote:
I was doing a little demo session with a singer this afternoon and I threw =
up one of my RE15's on the acoustic guitar. The output was even more weak =
than usual and transients made a little low mid freq popping noise. I know=
there isn't much that can go wrong with these mics- I have 3 of them and t=
hough I got them at varying times, they all sounded very close. Do you thi=
nk it's repairable/what do you think it is? Or is it time to thank it for i=
ts service.....

The bad news is that EV won't fix them for free like they used to.

The good news is there's probably just tramp metal in there.

Call EV, see what they charge to fix them now, it's worth it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Phil W:

I did my research before suggesting phantom check,
and the sites I went to all confirmed RE-15 is a
condensor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 12:04:52 AM UTC-4, Nate Najar wrote:
I was doing a little demo session with a singer this afternoon and I threw up one of my RE15's on the acoustic guitar. The output was even more weak than usual and transients made a little low mid freq popping noise. I know there isn't much that can go wrong with these mics- I have 3 of them and though I got them at varying times, they all sounded very close. Do you think it's repairable/what do you think it is? Or is it time to thank it for its service.....

ok I just got off the phone with Bosch support. They have to call me back and let me know if they can fix it. Flat rate for an re16 repair is $155 (!!!!!!!!). Theoretically if they fix 16's they can fix a 15, but she has to call me back to let me know if they'll accept the 15 for repair.

Man big business has the ability to screw up all kinds of things!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 9:28:49 AM UTC-6, Frank Stearns wrote:

EV's "RE" series has been around for a half century, maybe longer, and they were
dominate in many areas of audio for some time (tv/radio, reinforcement/PA, etc).

Always dynamic, all the time.

The RE-15 was always dynamic, yes. But the RE series included some condenser mics. I have a couple of RE-200s in my kit -- my favorite mics for guitar amps, bar none. They're transformerless condensers with 3/4" diaphragms.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

ŅŅ€ÐĩÐīа, 01. аÐŋŅ€ÐļÐŧ 2015. 17..28.49 UTC+2, Frank Stearns Ņ˜Ðĩ Ð―Ð°ÐŋÐļŅÐ°Ðū/Ðŧа:

Just shows how much mis-information exists on the web, then -- at least on some
sites (btw, which sites? Might be a hoot to go visit).

I don't think that's the case. Something's got broken in thekma's head, he
missunderstood "electro-voice" for "phantom powered", or something equally
stupid. It is virtually impossible to google for microphone RE 15 and get any
other result but correct one.

It's funny how he was fast to spill out expertise, as per own admission, after
searching the web for couple of minutes.
What is not funny, now he learned something, so he will go to some other group
and pose as an expert.

Or indeed he made an april fool, but I doubt his capabilities.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

PStamler writes:

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 9:28:49 AM UTC-6, Frank Stearns wrote:

EV's "RE" series has been around for a half century, maybe longer, and they were
dominate in many areas of audio for some time (tv/radio, reinforcement/PA, etc).

Always dynamic, all the time.

The RE-15 was always dynamic, yes. But the RE series included some condenser mics.
I have a couple of RE-200s in my kit -- my favorite mics for guitar amps, bar none.
They're transformerless condensers with 3/4" diaphragms.

Really!? Didn't know that; thanks for the correction! (I was thinking mainly of RE
15s, 16s, 20s, 55s, et al.)

Do you know when the 200 came out? True condenser or are they electrets? What was
the approximate price point compared to, say, a Neumann KM184 (US$700-900, last time
I checked).

Inquiring minds (now you've got me curious; time for a websearch!)

Thanks,
Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

theckma @ dumb.fuk wrote in message
Phil W:

I did my research before suggesting phantom check,
and the sites I went to all confirmed RE-15 is a
condensor.

Name a site that "confirmed" that the RE-15 is a "condensor". I triple
dog dare you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"Luxey" wrote in message
Or indeed he made an april fool, but I doubt his capabilities.

Thekma the dumb**** is the poster child for the first of April.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 5:08:23 PM UTC-6, Frank Stearns wrote:
PStamler writes:

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 9:28:49 AM UTC-6, Frank Stearns wrote:

EV's "RE" series has been around for a half century, maybe longer, and they were
dominate in many areas of audio for some time (tv/radio, reinforcement/PA, etc).

Always dynamic, all the time.

The RE-15 was always dynamic, yes. But the RE series included some condenser mics.
I have a couple of RE-200s in my kit -- my favorite mics for guitar amps, bar none.
They're transformerless condensers with 3/4" diaphragms.

Really!? Didn't know that; thanks for the correction! (I was thinking mainly of RE
15s, 16s, 20s, 55s, et al.)

Do you know when the 200 came out?

Well, I reviewed it in the April 1997 issue of Recording, and it was pretty new when I wrote the review, which would have been in November or December of 1996. By the way, I note in my spreadsheet that E-V had another condenser mic which I reviewed around then, the RE1000. As I recall, I didn't like it that much.

True condenser or are they electrets?

True condenser, according to E-V.

What was
the approximate price point compared to, say, a Neumann KM184 (US$700-900, last time
I checked).

It's still available; Full Compass sells it for $350.

I talk about the RE200 in the First Steps series now running in Recording, as an example of a microphone that I'd never use as a general-purpose mic; it's a two-trick pony for me, with a huge treble spike. That makes it useful for picking up the skin sound on a bodhran, dumbek or other hand drum, and for putting a little sparkle in the sound of a guitar speaker just where it's starting to crap out on top. It's so good for those two things that I bought two of them, and used one to record the bass amp in the clip that goes with the First Steps series. I don't use them for anything else; just bodhrans and guitar/bass speakers.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_2_] Ralph Barone[_2_] is offline

wrote:
Phil W:

I did my research before suggesting phantom check,
and the sites I went to all confirmed RE-15 is a
condensor.

Are you connected to a different Internet than the rest of us, by chance?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

F.Y.I. ~

EV introduced the Research Engineering series beginning with the RE15 in
August 1967. There is no "space" or hyphen after the "RE". Lou Burroughs
said he would not allow a new condenser mic unless it could perform at
least as well as EV's finest dynamic models. "System C" (for Condenser)
hearlded EV's re-entry into the world of condenser mics. It included Omni,
Cardioid, Hypercardioid and Line (shotgun) models. The hypercardioid CH15S
is 4" long and outperforms the 10"+connector Sennheiser 416 with the same
pattern. Burroughs never would have allowed the later entries that have
rather poor charts.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Roy W. Rising wrote:
F.Y.I. ~

EV introduced the Research Engineering series beginning with the RE15 in
August 1967. There is no "space" or hyphen after the "RE". Lou Burroughs
said he would not allow a new condenser mic unless it could perform at
least as well as EV's finest dynamic models. "System C" (for Condenser)
hearlded EV's re-entry into the world of condenser mics. It included Omni,
Cardioid, Hypercardioid and Line (shotgun) models. The hypercardioid CH15S
is 4" long and outperforms the 10"+connector Sennheiser 416 with the same
pattern. Burroughs never would have allowed the later entries that have
rather poor charts.

I think Burroughs wouldn't have approved of a lot of things that have
happened at EV... they took over Altec and that was fine, but then they
junked all of the old Altec drawing documentation that was in the Altec
records office.

But the discontinuing of the RE-55 was the saddest thing...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 12:04:52 AM UTC-4, Nate Najar wrote:
I was doing a little demo session with a singer this afternoon and I threw up one of my RE15's on the acoustic guitar. The output was even more weak than usual and transients made a little low mid freq popping noise. I know there isn't much that can go wrong with these mics- I have 3 of them and though I got them at varying times, they all sounded very close. Do you think it's repairable/what do you think it is? Or is it time to thank it for its service.....

well they don't want to repair the re15. it works well enough for talkback, I'll just have to keep it labeled so it doesn't get put into use. what a drag. They'll repair a 16, but not a 15, because the 16 is a current product. Thanks Bosch. Also, the bech fee to repair a 16 is $150. for that you may as well just buy a new one!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/7/2015 1:06 PM, Nate Najar wrote:
They'll repair a 16, but not a 15, because the 16 is a current product. Thanks Bosch.

Sure glad not every company has that policy. Don't the RE15 and RE16
have the same guts, just a different case? I can see them not being able
to replace a smashed grill or broken shaft, but I'd hazard a guess that
you could put an RE16 capsule into an RE15 case and have an RE15 - and
vice versa. Anybody know that for sure?

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 3:23:26 PM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/7/2015 1:06 PM, Nate Najar wrote:
They'll repair a 16, but not a 15, because the 16 is a current product. Thanks Bosch.

Sure glad not every company has that policy. Don't the RE15 and RE16
have the same guts, just a different case? I can see them not being able
to replace a smashed grill or broken shaft, but I'd hazard a guess that
you could put an RE16 capsule into an RE15 case and have an RE15 - and
vice versa. Anybody know that for sure?

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

yes same thing. It's a policy thing and the girl on the phone even told me as much.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nate Najar wrote:
On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 3:23:26 PM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/7/2015 1:06 PM, Nate Najar wrote:
They'll repair a 16, but not a 15, because the 16 is a current product. Thanks Bosch.

Sure glad not every company has that policy. Don't the RE15 and RE16
have the same guts, just a different case? I can see them not being able
to replace a smashed grill or broken shaft, but I'd hazard a guess that
you could put an RE16 capsule into an RE15 case and have an RE15 - and
vice versa. Anybody know that for sure?

yes same thing. It's a policy thing and the girl on the phone even told me as much.

This is positively shameful for a company that used to pride itself for
so long on support for older products.

You should be able to buy the RE16 element and put it in. You might try
calling Richard at Land's Audio in Nashville... he did dynamic mike repairs
for AKG for many years and knows all the AKG line, but he can probably
buy an RE16 element and put it in too.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

(Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Nate Najar wrote:
[...]

--scott

Indeed, the RE16 uses the same element as the '15. Further, they use the
same body. One could lose the screens, machine (or cut/grind) the spider,
throw on a foam wind screen and tell folks it's an RE15 ... it really is!

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

On 4/7/2015 3:23 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/7/2015 1:06 PM, Nate Najar wrote:
They'll repair a 16, but not a 15, because the 16 is a current
product. Thanks Bosch.

Sure glad not every company has that policy. Don't the RE15 and RE16
have the same guts, just a different case? I can see them not being able
to replace a smashed grill or broken shaft, but I'd hazard a guess that
you could put an RE16 capsule into an RE15 case and have an RE15 - and
vice versa. Anybody know that for sure?

During the mid '70s I was a pro audio dealer, and carried the EV line of
studio products. The RE11 is structurally equivalent to the RE16, and
the RE10 is structurally equivalent to the RE15. The difference between
these was quality control, with the more expensive versions (RE16 and
RE15) being more critically matched to the same models in the line.

BTW - I had to refresh my memory before posting this, and this info is
on-line on EV's site.
--
best regards,

Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Gould Neil Gould is offline

Nate Najar wrote:
On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 3:23:26 PM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/7/2015 1:06 PM, Nate Najar wrote:
They'll repair a 16, but not a 15, because the 16 is a current
product. Thanks Bosch.

Sure glad not every company has that policy. Don't the RE15 and RE16
have the same guts, just a different case? I can see them not being
able to replace a smashed grill or broken shaft, but I'd hazard a
guess that you could put an RE16 capsule into an RE15 case and have
an RE15 - and vice versa. Anybody know that for sure?

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

yes same thing. It's a policy thing and the girl on the phone even
told me as much.

They're not the same thing... they may have parts that fit, but there is
little hope that the repaired mic will match the performance specs of your
other RE15 mics, so I think you already have your solution in hand by not
trying to use it paired with the others.
--
best regards,

Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

"Neil Gould" wrote:

RE15 v. RE16 parts.

They're not the same thing... they may have parts that fit, but there is
little hope that the repaired mic will match the performance specs of
your other RE15 mics, so I think you already have your solution in hand
by not trying to use it paired with the others.

Neil ~ From the beginning I have understood the two to have the same
element. What your the basis for saying they do not?

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Roy W. Rising wrote:
"Neil Gould" wrote:
RE15 v. RE16 parts.

They're not the same thing... they may have parts that fit, but there is
little hope that the repaired mic will match the performance specs of
your other RE15 mics, so I think you already have your solution in hand
by not trying to use it paired with the others.

Neil ~ From the beginning I have understood the two to have the same
element. What your the basis for saying they do not?

The SM57 and SM58 have the same element but the part numbers in the catalogue
are different so they can keep track of how many replacements people are doing
on each model. They may do something like that as well.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

On 4/8/2015 11:08 AM, Roy W. Rising wrote:
"Neil Gould" wrote:

RE15 v. RE16 parts.

They're not the same thing... they may have parts that fit, but there is
little hope that the repaired mic will match the performance specs of
your other RE15 mics, so I think you already have your solution in hand
by not trying to use it paired with the others.

Neil ~ From the beginning I have understood the two to have the same
element. What your the basis for saying they do not?

Whether or not they have the same element, they are not equivalent mics,
and therefore can not be expected to meet the same specs. In my reply to
Mike, I explained that the structurally equivalent mics are the RE10 &
RE15, and RE11 & RE16. What that means is that they have the same body,
elements, screens, etc. The difference between the RE10 and RE15 is that
the RE15 meets a tighter performance tolerance, allowing them to be
matched. Comparatively, the RE10 is "out of spec", and though it is
still a very good mic, it is unlikely to match the specs of either an
RE15 or another RE10.

The implication when repairing an RE15 with some other part such as an
RE16 element is that it is unlikely to meet the original spec.
--
best regards,

Neil
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Neil wrote:
On 4/8/2015 11:08 AM, Roy W. Rising wrote:
"Neil Gould" wrote:

RE15 v. RE16 parts.

[...]

Neil ~ The QC differences between the '10/'11 and the '15/'16 are
understood. That does not support your stated "implication". I don't know
if EV uses different numbers to track production. My best recollection is
Lou Burroughs saying something like "It's the same mic, with a windscreen
added." I have taken these things apart. Inside a '16/'11 there is a
complete '15/'10 *minus* the spider, foam and screen. I wonder if EV/Bosch
has any remaining inventory of these bits.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Roy W. Rising wrote:
Neil wrote:
On 4/8/2015 11:08 AM, Roy W. Rising wrote:
"Neil Gould" wrote:

RE15 v. RE16 parts.

[...]

Roy, since you understand the differences between 10/15 which use exactly
the same parts but perform differently, I find it curious that you would
think it reasonable to expect mics built to different standards, i.e. 15/16,
to meet spec if their parts are swapped. In fact, that notion of yours does
not explain why Bosch won't repair a 15 but will repair the 16. If your
notion was correct, there would be little reason for that. OTOH, my
"implication" is one possible explanation for their refusal without need to
speculate on other factors.
--
best regards,

Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Neil Gould wrote:

Roy, since you understand the differences between 10/15 which use exactly
the same parts but perform differently, I find it curious that you would
think it reasonable to expect mics built to different standards, i.e. 15/16,
to meet spec if their parts are swapped. In fact, that notion of yours does
not explain why Bosch won't repair a 15 but will repair the 16. If your
notion was correct, there would be little reason for that. OTOH, my
"implication" is one possible explanation for their refusal without need to
speculate on other factors.

I can't speculate other than to say that if the parts people at Bosch confirm
that they are the same part, as the original poster claims, they probably are
the same part.

Just swap the damn thing, send me the mike and I'll put it in the chamber with
an old one of mine and tell you have different they are.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Neil Gould" wrote:
Roy W. Rising wrote:
Neil wrote:
On 4/8/2015 11:08 AM, Roy W. Rising wrote:
"Neil Gould" wrote:

RE15 v. RE16 parts.

[...]

The idea that the '10/'11 use "exactly the same parts" as the '15/'16 "but
perform differently" is intrinsically difficult. Were they "exactly the
same" there would be no performance difference. I understand the
difference to be in the area of Quality Control. A pair of '15/'16s will
match, while a pair of '10/'11s might not. I make no effort to explain why
Bosch does what it does (or does not).

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

On 4/9/2015 11:46 AM, Roy W. Rising wrote:
"Neil Gould" wrote:
Roy W. Rising wrote:
Neil wrote:
On 4/8/2015 11:08 AM, Roy W. Rising wrote:
"Neil Gould" wrote:

RE15 v. RE16 parts.

[...]

I did NOT say that the 10/11 use the same parts as the 15/16. The 10/15
use the same parts, and the 11/16 use the same parts. Since the only
differences between a 10/15 and 11/16 is whether they meet the spec
closely enough to be matched, it may give one reason to wonder what
those differences may be. Anyone familiar with manufacturing can
reasonably exclude the barrel, screen, plugs and wiring as parts that
significantly alter the mic's performance. The remaining part is the mic
element, and it's quite reasonable to think that it is the production
variations inherent in manufacturing that part that result in the mic
meeting spec.

Nate stated that Bosch would repair the RE16 because it is a model still
in production. If all one had to do was put the RE16 mic element into an
RE15 and it would then meet spec, there would be no reason at all for
Bosch's reluctance to repair that model, whether or not it is currently
in production.

Were they "exactly the
same" there would be no performance difference.

Which is why I stated in the post to which you replied, "they are not
the same".

I understand the
difference to be in the area of Quality Control. A pair of '15/'16s will
match, while a pair of '10/'11s might not. I make no effort to explain why
Bosch does what it does (or does not).

the key is to understand _why_ a pair of RE15s will match. I've tried to
explain this, based on my direct experience with the manufacturer,
albeit from decades ago. You can also download the data sheets for these
mics and extrapolate much the same conclusion.

--
best regards,

Neil
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Roy W. Rising wrote:
The idea that the '10/'11 use "exactly the same parts" as the '15/'16 "but
perform differently" is intrinsically difficult. Were they "exactly the
same" there would be no performance difference. I understand the
difference to be in the area of Quality Control. A pair of '15/'16s will
match, while a pair of '10/'11s might not. I make no effort to explain why
Bosch does what it does (or does not).

I believe that the difference was one in quality control, but that these
differences have become moot in the modern era where production machining
is much better.

I know that there was a long time when the Shure 545 got the marginal reject
elements from SM57 production... but these days there are no marginal rejects
and so they just use the same capsule.

dynamic mic self noise (and my re15) Nate Najar Pro Audio 56 January 23rd 15 06:30 PM
re15 is a winner Nate Najar Pro Audio 37 August 23rd 13 02:48 AM
WTB EV RE15 Nate Najar Pro Audio 46 April 24th 13 08:16 AM