Jon Yaeger

Default FS: Shameless Mercenary Plug: Fantastic Dynaco ST-70

I spent days rebuilding a Dyna ST-70 amp "from scratch", tearing it down,
chrome plating the chassis, etc. I doubt there's another one quite like it.

The result is under the "Sale Items" category at:
http://www.yaegeraudio.com/saleitems.html

On another topic, Rich Sherman contributed a link describing a custom Kismet
amp that he built using the Standard Chassis kit
http://www.yaegeraudio.com/gallery.html

I'll be posting more projects as time permits.

Thanks, Rich!

Jon Yaeger
Www.yaegeraudio.com

Sander deWaal

Jon Yaeger said:

I spent days rebuilding a Dyna ST-70 amp "from scratch", tearing it down,
chrome plating the chassis, etc. I doubt there's another one quite like it.

The result is under the "Sale Items" category at:
http://www.yaegeraudio.com/saleitems.html

Looks cool, but why on earth didn't you replace the crappy speaker
binding posts with some sturdy receptacles, while you were at it?

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Jon Yaeger

in article , Sander deWaal at
wrote on 6/5/05 8:43 AM:

Jon Yaeger said:

I spent days rebuilding a Dyna ST-70 amp "from scratch", tearing it down,
chrome plating the chassis, etc. I doubt there's another one quite like it.

The result is under the "Sale Items" category at:
http://www.yaegeraudio.com/saleitems.html

Looks cool, but why on earth didn't you replace the crappy speaker
binding posts with some sturdy receptacles, while you were at it?

Sander,

That would be easy enough to do, and it's a good idea. I'm casually looking
for a used Eico ST-70 power transformer to replace the OEM Dyna iron. It
has higher current capacity and supposedly is a drop-in replacement.

Jon

Patrick Turner

Sander deWaal wrote:

Jon Yaeger said:

I spent days rebuilding a Dyna ST-70 amp "from scratch", tearing it down,
chrome plating the chassis, etc. I doubt there's another one quite like it.

The result is under the "Sale Items" category at:
http://www.yaegeraudio.com/saleitems.html

Looks cool, but why on earth didn't you replace the crappy speaker
binding posts with some sturdy receptacles, while you were at it?

The ST70 has com, 4, 8, & 16 ohm outlets, so 4 terminals are required.

Its a lotta work to pull off the existing screwed terminals and replace with
4 binding posts.

Today a friend bought in an ST70 he just bought for about usd $300.
He let me examine it before turning it on and using it.
He was lucky, all seemed fine, but not as pretty as Jon's item, which has 4
input tubes,
it has two with the original circuit but the tubes are Svetlana
EL34, gold pin triode-pentodes, and it should be fine for mid-treble use.

It will be interesting to see if this dude will experience an
"audioclectic awareness awakening event" ( AAAE ) , where music leaps and twists
his soul
a bit. He has fed on solid state all these years......

Hey Jon, what's the circuit in that ST70?

Patrick Turner.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

Sander deWaal

Jon Yaeger said:

I'm casually looking
for a used Eico ST-70 power transformer to replace the OEM Dyna iron. It
has higher current capacity and supposedly is a drop-in replacement.

IIRC, Uncle Ned sells replacement PTs for the Dyna series.
See: http://store.triodestore.com/dytr.html

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

Jon Yaeger

in article , Sander deWaal at
wrote on 6/5/05 12:19 PM:

Jon Yaeger said:

I'm casually looking
for a used Eico ST-70 power transformer to replace the OEM Dyna iron. It
has higher current capacity and supposedly is a drop-in replacement.

IIRC, Uncle Ned sells replacement PTs for the Dyna series.
See:
http://store.triodestore.com/dytr.html

Sander,

Right you are. I may end up getting one from Ned, although I was hoping to
invest a bit less than a C note. I had to install a very large resistor on
the original tranny to reduce the B+ to specs. I'd much rather eliminate
the part with an appropriate tranny.

Jon

Jon Yaeger

in article , Patrick Turner at
wrote on 6/5/05 11:48 AM:

Sander deWaal wrote:

Jon Yaeger said:

[...]

Patrick,

Inside is a Welboune Labs ST-70 driver and bias circuit. Retrofitting that
circuit was a bit like building a ship inside of a bottle, but it was worth
it!

Jon Yaeger
Www.yaegeraudio.com

Chris Hornbeck

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 15:34:41 -0400, Jon Yaeger
wrote:

IIRC, Uncle Ned sells replacement PTs for the Dyna series.
See: http://store.triodestore.com/dytr.html

Sander,

Right you are. I may end up getting one from Ned, although I was hoping to
invest a bit less than a C note. I had to install a very large resistor on
the original tranny to reduce the B+ to specs. I'd much rather eliminate
the part with an appropriate tranny.

From this POV, the Eico ST70 transformer will have the same
issues as the original. Uncie Ned's modern replacements are
set for modern line voltages.

FWIW, I can confirm that the Eico is a bolt-in larger core
and quieter replacement for the Dyna original. Great if you've
got one handy, but maybe iffy for a 35 year old used part.

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"What, never?"
"No, never."
"What, never?"
"Well, hardly ever."
"HMS Pinafore"
Rich Sherman

Hi John:

Thanks for your posting of my lastest 2A3 project. The photos are that of an
amp in-the-making.

After reading your post, I making-taped the top cover last night and marked
it for machining. My 80% travel job makes amp projects drag-on a bit more
than I would like.

As soon as I complete the 2A3 Kismet II amp and turn it on, I will be able
to compare the sound of the Audio Note vs. James SE OPT's as the amp's
circuitry is basically identical except for the output iron.

The chassis are a real time saver.

More soon,

Rich Sherman

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message

I spent days rebuilding a Dyna ST-70 amp "from scratch", tearing it down,
chrome plating the chassis, etc. I doubt there's another one quite like

it.

The result is under the "Sale Items" category at:
http://www.yaegeraudio.com/saleitems.html

On another topic, Rich Sherman contributed a link describing a custom

Kismet
amp that he built using the Standard Chassis kit
http://www.yaegeraudio.com/gallery.html

I'll be posting more projects as time permits.

Thanks, Rich!

Jon Yaeger
Www.yaegeraudio.com

FS: Audio Cables & Adapter Cables [email protected] Pro Audio 0 February 28th 05 04:35 PM
Semi OT Shameless plug. geek Pro Audio 0 September 20th 04 06:34 PM
Semi OT Shameless plug. geek Pro Audio 0 September 20th 04 06:34 PM
How's Business- Shameless Plug, The Radio Station ... Steve Car Audio 0 May 12th 04 04:46 PM