rickymix

Default Vocoder/Phone Voice PT PlugIns?

Hi guys!
I've been working with my Motown friends again recently and they
keep asking for voice effects for little parts in the songs. "Put
some Vocoder on that ad lib", or "Rick, that talking intro is supposed
to be phone voice", etc. I can manufacture stuff like that, but there
must be Protools TDM plug-ins specifically for doing these types of
FX. Any recommendations?
Also, one song has background vox by a girl who just sounds too
young for the song. She's seventeen but sounds about 12. Great
singer, but it makes the male lead sound like a child molester. :)
I was thinking about running her voice through some formant software
to "age" her voice just a little. I've got Autotune which I generally
hate, but maybe it'll be good for this. Anybody ever try that?
Thanks as always for your expertise!
Cheers, Rick Novak.
transducr

(rickymix) wrote in message . com...
[...]

if you want to make a plug-in purchase that you won't soon regret pick
up Pluggo from Cycling '74. they call it the "never-ending plug-in". i
call it "the plug-in that keeps on givin'"...

basically, Pluggo is a massive collection (over 100) of plugs created
with max/msp, comprising everything from EQs to reverbs to softsynths
to the absolutely bizarre and everything in-between.

anyhow, since the in-between is what you mentioned i thought i'd give
you the heads up on it since they have both vocoder plug-ins and a
specially made "phone voice" plug-in included. the phone plug-in has
about 5 presets including (IIRC) "local call", "long distance", "cell
phone" and "overseas". i can't remember the other one!

it's an interesting take on the whole 'phone-voice' thing. it not only
filters whatever audio runs through it, but adds noise, 'random'
dropouts and a few other things on adjustable sliders.

when it comes down to doing the 'phone-voice' effect with a plug-in in
PT i actually prefer to use the McDSP F2 FilterBank plug-in, because i
prefer to have more control over what freqs are being filtered, but
you mentioned that you didn't want to fool with that so i think you
might want to give Pluggo a try.

i think you can download a demo (i use the RTAS version, but i think
it's avail. in MAS and VST too) from
www.cycling74.com that cuts the
audio out every 30 seconds or something like that. it's like $200 for
over 100 plugs and IMHO you get way more than you pay for as it evens
out to less than $2 per plug (can you tell i'm a fan?)

oh yeah, pluggo also comes with a plug-in manager that let's you
choose what plug-ins appear in your plug-in menu in PT, which can be
quite helpful as sometimes pulling down the ol' plug-in menu and
having all those pluggo plugs drop down with all your other plugs can
be rather daunting...what'll those guys think of next?

hope that helps...
Dave Martin

It seems to me that the majority of the telephone sounds comes from Waves
Q10 - specifically, the 'telephone' preset. And you might try Wave
Mechanic's "Pitch Doctor"; some very interesting formant tricks are
included...

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio