David Grant

Default Hustle & FLow

Anyone get a chance to go watch this movie? It perpetuates the misconception
that egg crates stapled to a wall will soundproof it, and that a $250 mic is
"studio grade". There's a slew of other wishful thinking as well.

Dave

Don Pearce

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:21:15 -0400, "David Grant"
wrote:

Anyone get a chance to go watch this movie? It perpetuates the misconception
that egg crates stapled to a wall will soundproof it, and that a $250 mic is
"studio grade". There's a slew of other wishful thinking as well.

Dave

There are an awful lot of them in an awful lot of studios. I think
that makes them studio grade.

And of course egg crate sort of looks like soundproofing, so it must
work. I've even seen shiny tin foil glued to the wall on the basis
that being shiny it will somehow "reflect" the sound.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Scott Dorsey

David Grant wrote:
Anyone get a chance to go watch this movie? It perpetuates the misconception
that egg crates stapled to a wall will soundproof it, and that a $250 mic is
"studio grade". There's a slew of other wishful thinking as well.

But that is what Hollywood is about. It's all about encouraging fantasies.

I mean, you don't think an elephant really COULD fly, do you?

Ty Ford

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:21:15 -0400, David Grant wrote
(in article ):

Anyone get a chance to go watch this movie? It perpetuates the misconception
that egg crates stapled to a wall will soundproof it, and that a $250 mic is
"studio grade". There's a slew of other wishful thinking as well.

Dave

The key word there is "soundproof."

Many folks confuse soundproofing with acoustical treatment. Usually, both are
required.

While not elegant, pretty or highly effective, egg cartons provide more
diffusion than a flat wall.

An SM57 is a studio grade mic.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

David Grant

And I realize all this, but I meant the post in more of a "get ready for
another wave of misconception-ridden wanna-be recording engineers" kind of
way.

Dave

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:21:15 -0400, David Grant wrote
(in article ):

Anyone get a chance to go watch this movie? It perpetuates the
misconception
that egg crates stapled to a wall will soundproof it, and that a $250 mic
is
"studio grade". There's a slew of other wishful thinking as well.

Dave

The key word there is "soundproof."

Many folks confuse soundproofing with acoustical treatment. Usually, both
are
required.

While not elegant, pretty or highly effective, egg cartons provide more
diffusion than a flat wall.

An SM57 is a studio grade mic.

Regards,

Ty Ford

-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other
audiocentric
stuff are at www.tyford.com

Buster Mudd

Ty Ford wrote:

While not elegant, pretty or highly effective, egg cartons provide more
diffusion than a flat wall.

Clearly a case where more=less. It's highly unlikely that the diffusion
offered by egg cartons (See http://www.acousticsfirst.com/docs/egg.PDF)
will yield any sonic improvement over a flat wall.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Buster Mudd" wrote in message ups.com...
Ty Ford wrote:

While not elegant, pretty or highly effective, egg cartons provide more
diffusion than a flat wall.

Clearly a case where more=less. It's highly unlikely that the diffusion
offered by egg cartons (See http://www.acousticsfirst.com/docs/egg.PDF)
will yield any sonic improvement over a flat wall.

I used egg cartons 30 years ago (when they were *very* thick), and I
can tell you that they are a definite improvement over flat walls. My
first experiment was in 1968, to cover an 8 x 8 room that was used
for snare drum lessons. The sound in the room was massively
improved and the transmission through walls seriously decreased.

But that was then and this is now...

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

reddred

"David Grant" wrote in message
Anyone get a chance to go watch this movie? It perpetuates the

misconception
that egg crates stapled to a wall will soundproof it, and that a $250 mic

is
"studio grade". There's a slew of other wishful thinking as well.

Dave

I don't know, an awful lot of hip hop records sound pretty cheap to me. I've
heard some high-budget records that sound about the same as the cheap ones,
with better mixing. Just about the only reason for a hip hop act to go into
a good studio is for protools, for the sound, and an SSL, for the luxury.

The egg crate thing is ridiculous, though, you'd think the set designer
could at least give someone a call as opposed to inflicting their romantic
vision on the world. There are other things you can make out of trash that
do a much better job.

jb

reddred

Ty Ford wrote:

While not elegant, pretty or highly effective, egg cartons provide

more
diffusion than a flat wall.

Clearly a case where more=less. It's highly unlikely that the diffusion
offered by egg cartons (See http://www.acousticsfirst.com/docs/egg.PDF)
will yield any sonic improvement over a flat wall.

I used egg cartons 30 years ago (when they were *very* thick), and I
can tell you that they are a definite improvement over flat walls. My
first experiment was in 1968, to cover an 8 x 8 room that was used
for snare drum lessons. The sound in the room was massively
improved and the transmission through walls seriously decreased.

But that was then and this is now...

Well, most of them are styrofoam now, anyway. More like 'egg holders'.

jb

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Ty Ford wrote:

While not elegant, pretty or highly effective, egg cartons provide

more
diffusion than a flat wall.

Clearly a case where more=less. It's highly unlikely that the diffusion
offered by egg cartons (See http://www.acousticsfirst.com/docs/egg.PDF)
will yield any sonic improvement over a flat wall.

I used egg cartons 30 years ago (when they were *very* thick), and I
can tell you that they are a definite improvement over flat walls. My
first experiment was in 1968, to cover an 8 x 8 room that was used
for snare drum lessons. The sound in the room was massively
improved and the transmission through walls seriously decreased.

But that was then and this is now...

Well, most of them are styrofoam now, anyway. More like 'egg holders'.

And flimsy ones, at that. You're lucky to get home with whole eggs
these days (or even buy a full dozen) unless you carry them seperately
and treat them like they were some sort of nitroglycerin. g

What I used was actually a 36-egg "tray"... they were about 12x12"
and hard as a rock, around 3/16 of an inch thick. They called them
cardboard, but it was some type of molded paper product that had
a solid consistency.

DM

reddred

Ty Ford wrote:

[...]

My experience is that just about anything can work to diffuse some
reflections, unless it's reflective itself. But, yeah, I don't think the
newer egg cartons are going to be much better than notebook paper.

Pretty soon I think we'll start to see eggs with thicker shells, the
multi-billion dollar industry response to the problem of flimsy egg cartons.
Never mind that I'd be happy to pay a few cents more to get a durable carton
with my eggs.

Kind of like the tasteless tomatoes that take longer to rot - make a
'better' tomato instead of growing them nearer to people's houses, or
refraining from letting produce sit around in unventilated warehouses.

jb

David Grant

What I used was actually a 36-egg "tray"... they were about 12x12"
and hard as a rock, around 3/16 of an inch thick. They called them
cardboard, but it was some type of molded paper product that had
a solid consistency.

DM

On second thought I think they were using those thick cup holders like they
have at drive throughs... unless they were ostritch-egg cartons..

Regardless, while the studio guy's nailing them to the wall the pimp/rapper
character asks him what he's doing. His reply is "poor man's
soundproofing" - my nose thereafter filled with cherry coke.

Hassan Davis

Haven't seen the movie. But, I have been there, and have been around
tons of folks who have been there.

It is not that the egg cartons make for a proper studio. However, back
in the day that is all that we had and all that we could afford on a
shoestring budget. Of course we aspired to more appropriate and even
luxurious studios. Gotta start somewhere, though :-)

More importantly, however, it was (and is) ultimately about the music
and we had pride even in our makeshift studios, our mostly 2nd hand
equipment and our music. Guys, think back to some of the songs that we
made in some really crummy spaces and on crummy equipment!

You have me thinking, David. For the next studio I design for a client,
I think I will go with a nostalgic egg-carton look/feel - ha ha.

Hassan

David Grant wrote:
What I used was actually a 36-egg "tray"... they were about 12x12"
and hard as a rock, around 3/16 of an inch thick. They called them
cardboard, but it was some type of molded paper product that had
a solid consistency.

DM

On second thought I think they were using those thick cup holders like they
have at drive throughs... unless they were ostritch-egg cartons..

Regardless, while the studio guy's nailing them to the wall the pimp/rapper
character asks him what he's doing. His reply is "poor man's
soundproofing" - my nose thereafter filled with cherry coke.

Ty Ford

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:54:53 -0400, David Morgan \(MAMS\) wrote
(in article xpLKe.11636$0d.6555@trnddc06):

Ty Ford wrote:

While not elegant, pretty or highly effective, egg cartons provide more
diffusion than a flat wall.

Clearly a case where more=less. It's highly unlikely that the diffusion
offered by egg cartons (See http://www.acousticsfirst.com/docs/egg.PDF)
will yield any sonic improvement over a flat wall.

I used egg cartons 30 years ago (when they were *very* thick), and I
can tell you that they are a definite improvement over flat walls. My
first experiment was in 1968, to cover an 8 x 8 room that was used
for snare drum lessons. The sound in the room was massively
improved and the transmission through walls seriously decreased.

But that was then and this is now...

Eggzactly. Mr. Mudd was probably not around then. And I'm more prone to
believe my ears than a pdf file on some website.

The difference in a flat wall and the panel was obviously audible in terms of
what was coming off the wall. I also hand stitched an indian beadspread over
them because they were so ****ing ugly. Who knows, perhaps it was a MAGIC bed
spread.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Ty Ford

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:06:58 -0400, David Morgan \(MAMS\) wrote
(in article 6tMKe.11871$0d.9714@trnddc06):

Well, most of them are styrofoam now, anyway. More like 'egg holders'.

And flimsy ones, at that. You're lucky to get home with whole eggs these
days (or even buy a full dozen) unless you carry them seperately and treat
them like they were some sort of nitroglycerin. g

What I used was actually a 36-egg "tray"... they were about 12x12" and hard
as a rock, around 3/16 of an inch thick. They called them cardboard, but it
was some type of molded paper product that had a solid consistency.

DM

Right. That's what I used back in the 1970's.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:28:57 GMT

On 2005-08-11
said:
Newsgroupsnot elegant, pretty or highly effective, egg cartons
provide more diffusion than a flat wall.
snippage

I used egg cartons 30 years ago (when they were *very* thick), and I
can tell you that they are a definite improvement over flat walls.
My first experiment was in 1968, to cover an 8 x 8 room that was
used for snare drum lessons. The sound in the room was massively
improved and the transmission through walls seriously decreased.
But that was then and this is now...

WE used egg cartons back in the late seventies with a band I played
with in ST. Louis. wE didn't get a lot of sound proofing but did get
some difusion, good for practice. Also our dru m room which was in
the same basement sounded much better after treatment.
The most fun was building a movable wall to cover over the ducting
from the old gravity fed furnace, those big cold air return pipes
played havoc with the sound when the whole band was rehearsing.
Building a gobo solved that problem.

Richard Webb,
Electric SPider Productions, New Orleans, La.
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

SUV owners roll over for terrorism.
Justin Ulysses Morse

David Grant wrote:

What I used was actually a 36-egg "tray"... they were about 12x12"
and hard as a rock, around 3/16 of an inch thick. They called them
cardboard, but it was some type of molded paper product that had
a solid consistency.

DM

On second thought I think they were using those thick cup holders like they
have at drive throughs... unless they were ostritch-egg cartons..

Regardless, while the studio guy's nailing them to the wall the pimp/rapper
character asks him what he's doing. His reply is "poor man's
soundproofing" - my nose thereafter filled with cherry coke.

I haven't seen the movie. But if it's portraying the guy as someone
who's taking some erroneous information and applying it to his
endeavor, then it sounds like a very accurate and realistic portrayal
to me. Maybe the screenwriter knew this was factually erroneous, but
his character didn't know it.

ulysses

stuff are at www.tyford.com

RD Jones

Buster Mudd wrote:

Ty Ford wrote:

While not elegant, pretty or highly effective, egg cartons provide more
diffusion than a flat wall.

Clearly a case where more=less. It's highly unlikely that the diffusion
offered by egg cartons (See http://www.acousticsfirst.com/docs/egg.PDF)
will yield any sonic improvement over a flat wall.

Diffusion can be your friend.
I'd think more about resonance.
Do you think they might resonate in the same
range an SM57 ?

rd

RD Jones

Ty Ford wrote:

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:06:58 -0400, David Morgan \(MAMS\) wrote
What I used was actually a 36-egg "tray"... they were about 12x12" and hard
as a rock, around 3/16 of an inch thick. They called them cardboard, but it
was some type of molded paper product that had a solid consistency.

DM

Right. That's what I used back in the 1970's.

I remember those. A band I was with in the '70s
had an 'investor' that owned a restraunt. We had
warehouse space and an unlimited supply of egg trays.

rd

Buster Mudd

Ty Ford wrote:

Mr. Mudd was probably not around then. And I'm more prone to
believe my ears than a pdf file on some website.

Right, Ty, no one in audio is older than you. Hey, I'll bet there's a
review of those egg cartons on your website, right?

Ty Ford

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:18:55 -0400, Buster Mudd wrote
(in article .com):

Ty Ford wrote:

Mr. Mudd was probably not around then. And I'm more prone to
believe my ears than a pdf file on some website.

Right, Ty, no one in audio is older than you. Hey, I'll bet there's a
review of those egg cartons on your website, right?

Actually, I think Harvey is.

When I think about how much I thought I knew back then and how much I have
learned since then, I am shocked and humbled.

I wasn't getting paid to write reviews back then. I was writing weird ad copy
for WHFS in Bethesda, MD so the other hippies wouldn't **** and moan that we
had sold out.

Regards,

Ty Ford

PS: It never occurred to me that egg cartons aren't what they used to be, but
then neither is the Sennheiser 421.

stuff are at www.tyford.com