Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] ixtarbrules@yahoo.com is offline

Default Will The Sotomayor Nomination Hurt The Republicans Or The Democrats?

Will The Sotomayor Nomination Hurt The Republicans Or The Democrats?
Depends On The Courage Of The Republican Leadership

[James Fulford]

" Dave Kopel on a recent poll of political bloggers:

Question 2 was “Regarding the Supreme Court nomination of Sonia
Sotomayor, what will be the political impact on your party?” On the
Left, 94% thought it would help their party, and on the Right, 67%
thought it would hurt their party.

My answer was idiosyncratic. Although it’s listed under “minor
harm,” I had voted for “minor help.” I explained: “As a Democrat, I
think it will help the party by mollifying some of the Hispanics who
will be upset by Obama’s inability to pass an amnesty program for
illegal aliens. The nomination may also benefit Republicans, if
Republican senators raise serious objections about some of Sotomayor’s
unpopular and legally weak decisions, such as Ricci, Maloney and
Village of Port Chester.”

One the one hand, I tend to react to the news that some good will come
if the Republican leadership is willing to stand up and be counted by
saying “Uh-oh!” On the other hand, the ranking Republican on the
Judiciary Committee is now Jeff Sessions, and he will stand up and be
counted."

http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2009/...an-leadership/