Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Turntable recommendations

I've been finding some good vinyl cheap recently (for example, I found
two of the three Harry James D2D Sheffields for a total of $6, some
cool Ella recordings on Verve, some old six-eyes Columbia recordings
for a couple of bucks each, etc.). They are all in mint condition.

I haven't been able to pass them up even though my turntable is in
storage right now out of state. The stipulations:

I'd like a reasonable turntable (under $500) and a recommendation for
a cartridge that will perform well with whatever arm is on the table.

Used is very acceptable if they're readily available. I don't want to
have to dig or hunt for months to get it.

Bratzi and 2pid can respond with recommendations only if they promise
to give up stupid OT posts for a year. And 2pid also has to promise
not to sing the praises of his POS Mitsubishi.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

On May 10, 2:19*am, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
I've been finding some good vinyl cheap recently (for example, I found
two of the three Harry James D2D Sheffields for a total of $6, some
cool Ella recordings on Verve, some old six-eyes Columbia recordings
for a couple of bucks each, etc.). They are all in mint condition.

I haven't been able to pass them up even though my turntable is in
storage right now out of state. The stipulations:

I'd like a reasonable turntable (under $500) and a recommendation for
a cartridge that will perform well with whatever arm is on the table.

Used is very acceptable if they're readily available. I don't want to
have to dig or hunt for months to get it.

Bratzi and 2pid can respond with recommendations only if they promise
to give up stupid OT posts for a year. And 2pid also has to promise
not to sing the praises of his POS Mitsubishi.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

You already shot yourself in the foot because you want a cart that
will perform with any arm. Cartridge compliance and arm mass are
highly interrelated. You are asking for a shock absorber that works on
a Geo Metro AND a '62 Imperial just as well.

Either pick the ARM you want and find a cart or vice versa.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
[...]

Read it again. I said "a recommendation for a cartridge that will
perform well with whatever arm is on the table." So if somebody thinks
a used Rega Planar 2 with an RB-250 arm is the best in that range I'm
asking for their recommendation as to what cartridge they're recommend
for that combination.

What's been "shot in the foot" is your inability to understand simple
English.

Since you've answered you've agreed not to post OT comments here for a
year. Thank you for that.

((I'm sure most other people here thank you for agreeing to that as
well. Shhhh!))
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On May 10, 12:03*pm, hophead wrote:
In article fa28f4f3-f622-4130-8c44-50e41b2ff180
@j35g2000yqm.googlegroups.com, says...

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Of course, there are lots of choices used, but for new I really like the
Pro-Ject offerings at the lower price-point. Especially the Xpression. A
good matching (and affordable) cart for that table would be the Ortofon
2M Red.

Down the line you can upgrade the performance quite dramatically by
purchasing the external power supply (the "Speedbox")if you find your
vinyl listening habits warrant it.

Thanks, I'm now eyeing a used Pro-Ject. What do you think of Music
Hall?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

wrote:
I've been finding some good vinyl cheap recently (for example, I found
two of the three Harry James D2D Sheffields for a total of $6, some
cool Ella recordings on Verve, some old six-eyes Columbia recordings
for a couple of bucks each, etc.). They are all in mint condition.

I haven't been able to pass them up even though my turntable is in
storage right now out of state. The stipulations:

I'd like a reasonable turntable (under $500) and a recommendation for
a cartridge that will perform well with whatever arm is on the table.

Used is very acceptable if they're readily available. I don't want to
have to dig or hunt for months to get it.

Bratzi and 2pid can respond with recommendations only if they promise
to give up stupid OT posts for a year. And 2pid also has to promise
not to sing the praises of his POS Mitsubishi.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Rega. Rega rega, rega rega rega. Rega? Rega rega!

Pro-Jects and Music Halls can't match the reliability, sound quality
and ease of use of the Regas.

Don't get a Rega P1 unless you get a better cartridge and the glass
platter. Don't get a Rega cartridge.

Find a Rega P2. Get an Ortofon Red 2M cartridge. The latter is $99 and
sounds great on the Regas. Enjoy.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On May 10, 9:41*pm, hophead wrote:
In article 466ed230-2dca-432b-844b-f09e528e2493
@e1g2000yqe.googlegroups.com, says...

Thanks, I'm now eyeing a used Pro-Ject. What do you think of Music
Hall?

Music Hall are essentially comparable to Pro-Ject (they are really
customized Pro-ject tables). They are fine for the price.

I wouldn't argue strenously with Boon regarding Rega as a choice, but
frankly I'd choose an entry level Pro-Ject or Music Hall over a P1. But
if you could find something like a used P3 in your price range, that
would be sweet.

The P1 is frankly no big deal. It sounds no better than a Pro-Ject or
a Music Hall. But I bet it's still much more reliable.

Last weekend I compared a P1 directly with a P2, both with the Ortofon
Red 2M cartridge. The P1 sounded woolly and distinct, while the P2
sounded much more like music.

A used P3 would be an even better choice, but it's very hard to find
one for less than $500 these days. You can find a "gently used" P2 for
around $300 to $400.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,

wrote:
[...]

I agree, but I was considering the under $500 budget. If you can find a
good used P3 for that, go for it!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
[...]

Did you say something, Boon? I didn't quite catch it.

Pro-Jects and Music Halls can't match the reliability, sound quality
and ease of use of the Regas.

I'm sensing that you're making a recommendation here. Hm.

Don't get a Rega P1 unless you get a better cartridge and the glass
platter. Don't get a Rega cartridge.

I wish I could pick up what you're trying to say. What are you trying
to tell me?

Find a Rega P2. Get an Ortofon Red 2M cartridge. The latter is $99 and
sounds great on the Regas. Enjoy.

Say, Boon, I have an idea: what about Rega? I hear they make some nice
stuff.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On May 10, 9:52*pm, Boon wrote:
[...]

Which arm did the P2 have on it? The RB-250?

I may try to find a P2 with no arm and slip an RB-300 on it. I've seen
a couple go for less than I would have expected recently. I was
leaning toward Rega but I saw a Pro-Ject RM-4 on eBay that had me
thinking.

If I get frustrated by not finding one soon enough I'll just get an
SL1200 with a Stanton 681EEE. Then I can scratch with my Sheffield
Harry James disks at a local club.

(Believe this or not I found a third one today. In the past week I
have found "King James Version", "Still Harry after all these years"
and "Coming from a good place". All dead mint. Total investment for
all three: $12. Woo hoo! Also this week I came up with a Reference
Recordings 45 RPM 12", some nice Shaded Dogs, a London blueback and
some others. Ella on Verve, a couple of MFSL 1/2 speeds and on and on.
And me with no turntable here!)

Thanks to the three of you (Jenn, Hop and Boon. No thanks to the
Bratziod robot spammer)!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

wrote:
[...]

None of these have any suspension, at least not the models any one
could afford.

This is not a great feature.

It used to be the budget table of choice was a reworked AR, however
that is no longer true since Merrill came down with high-end-itis and
decided to price his products as Veblen goods.

The Linn Sondek LP12 is the small block Chevy of turntables albeit at
BMW prices. Used ones can be a good value but you have to know your
stuff and it is an arcane matter of being initiated to know this. Linn
are a thoroughly fascist organization and no third party puts out a
definitive manual. The Linn is a copy, basically, of the Ariston
table.

Are the Regas a bad product? No, but they have issues, such as the
lack of VTA on the tone arms. The Rega tone arm is very popular on
other tables, of course. They aren't as good as the SME, but they are
not as expensive either.

Japanese direct drive tables are simply not an audiophile option,
although are a good gift for parents who want to play their old
records without tearing them up.