Attenuate highest highs?

Old February 22nd 20, 07:37 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end
Trevor Wilson[_3_]

Default Attenuate highest highs?

On 22/02/2020 7:48 am, Peter Wieck wrote:
> On Friday, February 21, 2020 at 3:36:32 PM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>
>> **Why? XLRs are very good connectors. They're robust, easy to wire up
>> and earth makes first and breaks last. Adapters are easy to source.

> Because:
>
> The system in question is a home audio system.

**Irrelevant. XLRs are VERY common in higher end domestic systems. XLRs
are an entirely appropriate connector and inexpensive.

> The system in question is quite vintage, using RCA jacks exclusively.

**Sure. Most are. However, 2 female and 2 male XLR connectors/adapters
are not a crazy idea.

> The individual asking for suggestions is of limited means, physically and, likely, financially.

**Possibly. Which is why I pointed to an eBay sale. The Behringer is a
cheap option and, IME, cheaper than a quality, analogue, paramtetric EQ.
Either way, I already provided the most suitable solution, which could
cost almost nothing - room treatments. Room treatements will almost
certainly solve the problem.

> The individual in question may have to move on short notice.

**Irrelevant. XLRs can be disconnected and re-connected as rapidly as RCAs.

> Adapters may be easy to source, but that does not make the cost of the equalizer together with the four (4) adapter needed cheap.

**Sure. However, a standard 10 band EQ is almost a waste of time. At the
very minimum, a parametric EQ is the only item worth bothering with.
Parametric (analogue) EQs tend to be expensive, unless one is looking
for a digital parametric EQ. I related a story about an ancient,
analogue parametric I recently bought and re-sold for a substantial sum.
A second hand Behringer can be a much cheaper option. And one that has
some significant advantages. That said, I will stand by my original
suggestion - room treatments are the best option. They can be cheap,
effective and easily removable.

> Generally, when giving advice, it is both courteous and common sense to make the suggestions fit the conditions at hand, and not add needless levels of complexity.

**I agree. Room treatments will be, by a long margin, the best option.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au