Samuel Fang

Default Question about Head Unit

Ok, quick background: I've got a car with a double-DIN slot for the
Head Unit. My two current picks for a head unit a

The Pioneer FH-P4100 (finding it for around $150-$250 on the internet,
new), and the Alpine CDA-9835 (anywhere from $500-$550 on the
internet, new).

My car is a 2003 Nissam 350Z, and I'm seriously considering the JL
Audio stealthbox for my car. Bad news is it's a good $750 for one of
those puppies.

So, if I go with the Pioneer HU, am I throwing away that money in a
"pennywise, dollar dumb" way, or would it work out alright?

Also, I'm planning on connecting the HU to XM, which both of those
units are able to: that means the Alpine will be a LOT more expensive,
given the extra expense of Alpine accessories. And does anyone know
if the FH-P4100 works properly with all the US Pioneer accessories,
like the CD changers, etc.?

Thanks!
Tony Fernandes

Just out of curiosity, what made you decide on those two particular head
units? This would help us answer your question, because those two head
units are worlds apart.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that

"Samuel Fang" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Samuel Fang

"Tony Fernandes" wrote in message ...
Just out of curiosity, what made you decide on those two particular head
units? This would help us answer your question, because those two head
units are worlds apart.

Frankly, I've been thinking about the Alpine unit for quite a while.
I got onto the Pioneer unit b/c I saw an FH-P8800 in my kind of car in
a tuner mag, and figured it worked fairly well. Twigged onto the
FH-P4100 just b/c it's a double-DIN receiver that has XM.

I know there's a world of difference between the two. The thing is,
I'm not a ridiculous audiophile. I want a good sounding unit, but I'm
not sure I want to spend that much money unless there's a serious
difference in the SQ, you know?

Just asking general "your opinion" kind of stuff. At this point, I'm
probably going to go with the Alpine unit, but I'd still like to hear
what everyone thinks.

Thanks.
Tony Fernandes

Samuel Fang wrote: "At this point, I'm probably going to go with the Alpine
unit, but I'd still like to hear what everyone thinks."

I would go with the Alpine as well. It would look really good in the Z
dash.

If you're concerned about money, there are other decks out there that also
have XM for less money. BTW, I recently added XM and I absolutely LOVE it.

Where does the Stealthbox go in the Z? I've talked to you before about your
car, but I can't remember...does yours have the hole behind the driver seat
for a 10" woofer? If so, you could easily put a 10 there for a LOT less
money. It would be a little more work, but if done correctly it would sound
fantastic.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that
he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we wouldn't
have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact

"Samuel Fang" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Gary Rodgers

"Tony Fernandes" wrote in message
| Samuel Fang wrote: "At this point, I'm probably going to go with the
Alpine
| unit, but I'd still like to hear what everyone thinks."
|
| I would go with the Alpine as well. It would look really good in the Z
| dash.
|
| If you're concerned about money, there are other decks out there that also
| have XM for less money. BTW, I recently added XM and I absolutely LOVE
it.

| Where does the Stealthbox go in the Z? I've talked to you before about
your
| car, but I can't remember...does yours have the hole behind the driver
seat
| for a 10" woofer? If so, you could easily put a 10 there for a LOT less
| money. It would be a little more work, but if done correctly it would
sound
| fantastic.
|
| Tony

Also, XM for Alpines is about to (6-8 weeks or less) get a ton cheaper.
Instead of $249 for TUA-T020XM and another $50 for an antenna, look for a
kit which contains xm-direct (xm commander minus the control unit) and an
Ai-Net--xm-direct adapter from BlitzSafe, and a micro-antenna for around
$125-$150. This will use the XM-Ready features on the Alpine HU's...

It's in the Spring 2004 Alpine catalog - I called blitzsafe - they say 2-6
weeks.. I'm just anxiously waiting.

Samuel Fang

"Tony Fernandes" wrote in message ...
Samuel Fang wrote: "At this point, I'm probably going to go with the Alpine
unit, but I'd still like to hear what everyone thinks."

I would go with the Alpine as well. It would look really good in the Z
dash.

If you're concerned about money, there are other decks out there that also
have XM for less money. BTW, I recently added XM and I absolutely LOVE it.

Where does the Stealthbox go in the Z? I've talked to you before about your
car, but I can't remember...does yours have the hole behind the driver seat
for a 10" woofer? If so, you could easily put a 10 there for a LOT less
money. It would be a little more work, but if done correctly it would sound
fantastic.

The stealthbox for the 350Z would fit in the cargo space between the
"wall" right behind the seats and the "Z" strut bar.

It's like this: the difference in price would mean not getting the
system for another couple of months, to save up the money. I'm
willing to do that if the end result is worth the wait, you know?
Samuel Fang

"Gary Rodgers" wrote in message hlink.net...

Also, XM for Alpines is about to (6-8 weeks or less) get a ton cheaper.
Instead of $249 for TUA-T020XM and another $50 for an antenna, look for a
kit which contains xm-direct (xm commander minus the control unit) and an
Ai-Net--xm-direct adapter from BlitzSafe, and a micro-antenna for around
$125-$150. This will use the XM-Ready features on the Alpine HU's...

It's in the Spring 2004 Alpine catalog - I called blitzsafe - they say 2-6
weeks.. I'm just anxiously waiting.

That sounds great! Thanks a lot for the heads up.