Jim Garrison

Default True COMPONENT Bookshelf System?

I'm looking for a *true* compenent bookshelf system. I.e.
one where the receiver/amp, CD and Tape are separate components
and have all the usual inputs and outputs.

99% of what I've seen in stores is really cheap all-in-one
boxes with minimal inputs and NO outputs other than speakers.
The only thing I've been able to find that comes even close
is the Onkyo MC35-TECH, but it doesn't have a tape deck.

Have manufacturers just stopped making these? Can someone
suggest some other mfgs/models to look at?

Thanks

Jim Garrison

Kalman Rubinson

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 02:09:11 GMT, Jim Garrison wrote:

I'm looking for a *true* compenent bookshelf system. I.e.
one where the receiver/amp, CD and Tape are separate components
and have all the usual inputs and outputs.

99% of what I've seen in stores is really cheap all-in-one
boxes with minimal inputs and NO outputs other than speakers.
The only thing I've been able to find that comes even close
is the Onkyo MC35-TECH, but it doesn't have a tape deck.

Have manufacturers just stopped making these? Can someone
suggest some other mfgs/models to look at?

Why not simply buy regular components and put them on a bookshelf?

Kal
Tim Schwartz

Jim,

I don't know if they are made any more or not, but cassette decks are a
dying breed, as they are being replaced with digital formats (CD
recorders and MP3 players). Your best bet might be to get the Onkyo,
and look for a cassette deck on e-bay, though beware of parts problems
for older cassette decks too.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Jim Garrison wrote:

I'm looking for a *true* compenent bookshelf system. I.e.
one where the receiver/amp, CD and Tape are separate components
and have all the usual inputs and outputs.

99% of what I've seen in stores is really cheap all-in-one
boxes with minimal inputs and NO outputs other than speakers.
The only thing I've been able to find that comes even close
is the Onkyo MC35-TECH, but it doesn't have a tape deck.

Have manufacturers just stopped making these? Can someone
suggest some other mfgs/models to look at?

Thanks

Jim Garrison

Neil

Jim Garrison wrote in message . ..
I'm looking for a *true* compenent bookshelf system. I.e.
one where the receiver/amp, CD and Tape are separate components
and have all the usual inputs and outputs.

TEAC Reference series. Two dealers:

soundcity.com

jandr.com

I don't have any local TEAC audio dealers, so I've never
seen/used/heard the TEAC Reference series. But right now, it's
probably the only choice available in the US for shoppers who want
true components in a small size. TEAC has series 300 and 350
(smaller), and the 500 and (I think) 550 (bigger).

The one thing I've noticed from reading about these TEAC components is
that some of them, while they have smallish faceplates, are a bit
deep. If that matters, check the dimensions carefully.

99% of what I've seen in stores is really cheap all-in-one
boxes with minimal inputs and NO outputs other than speakers.
The only thing I've been able to find that comes even close
is the Onkyo MC35-TECH, but it doesn't have a tape deck.

Denon has a competing series of gear. Don't know if there are optional
tape decks for either the Onkyo, Denon, or the TEAC. Try their web
sites.

Also, Consumer Reports has reviewed minisystems, with and without tape
decks. Read at local library and/or at: www.consumerreports.org

Have manufacturers just stopped making these? Can someone
suggest some other mfgs/models to look at?

Thanks

Jim Garrison

Daniel

You can go to audioadvisor.com and look at cambridge audio. I don't
think you'll find a cassette deck, but I may be wrong. They have an
integrated amp and CD player in the most recent aa catalog that cost
$200 apiece. Put those together with a pair of Paradigm Atoms, which
you'll have to buy locally.