Ed

Default Review of Pioneer AVIC N1

Review of Pioneer AVIC-N1

A have no complaints with my unit except that the Map data is way out
of date. Come on Pioneer this is supposed to be a Nav Unit, not an
expensive stereo. At $1999.00 I would expect reliable map data out of
the box.

The optional voice kit works great and there is a large number of
functions supported with the voice kit.

The Pioneer AVIC N1 unit failed to find a rather large number of the
streets and property addresses that have been built in the last 2-3
years, where the Garmin 2610 ($799.00) (Garmin now has the 2620 with a
hard drive built in, so that no map loads are necessary) had little
issues with these types of addresses.

As I work with appraising foreclosures and other Real Estate matters
this is unacceptable.

I have heard from some users that there will be map update soon
although the website http://www.avic-n1.com/tech_downloads.asp states
that the Map Update will be available in 2005. This may not be soon
enough for me unfortunately. Pioneer bills this a Navigation unit but
don't go trying to find your way out of new subdivisions just yet.

The AVIC-N1 site has a registration screen, so it might be advisable
to register your unit if you decide to purchase.

The audio seems nice and the controls are logical and easy to operate
in all modes.

An online discussion group can be found at

Ed
Dave

Ed,
I think that software update is going to happen in the next week or two, not
in 2005. Fill in your info here to get your upgrade:
www.avic-n1.com/softwareupgrade

I'm hoping that I will have an easy upgrade path for my AVIC80's software.
However, since we are dealing with DVD-based databases, these disks are
about 1 or 2 years out of date on the day the software ships. :-(
dave

"Ed" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Chris

The software update is a software update, not a map database update.

Please do not use the link you provided to register for the update, it
is for dealers to get replacement discs for their inventory. AVIC-N1
owners should register at
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...141536,00.html

Registering there will get the new version discs to you ASAP, and you
will also get a free DVD/CD visor as well.

Thanks