Default best MS mic for film work?

i am going to be recording some live chamber music for a short film. i
have pairs of nice SD cards and omnis, but for this project i was
thinking of using a good quality MS setup for mono compatibility and
ease in switching to the short verbal interviews with some of the
players. of course i still want great audio reproduction. i have
never used an MS setup before, though. what do you guys suggest?
thanks.

Simon

I really like the sound of the Sennehiser mkh-418. It will give you a
nice stereo field, and when it comes time to do the orchestra
interviews the centre shotgun capsule will give you great sound. The
Sanken CSS-5 is also a great MS mic. Of course, as always, it's nice if
you can try them out and hear for yourself.

Sennheiser: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/
Sanken: http://www.sanken-mic.com/index.html

Oleg Kaizerman

cmc5/6-mk4/41 with cmc5/6-mk8 for musik
or ccm4/41 with ccm 8

--
Oleg Kaizerman (gebe) Hollyland

"Simon" wrote in message
oups.com...
I really like the sound of the Sennehiser mkh-418. It will give you a
nice stereo field, and when it comes time to do the orchestra
interviews the centre shotgun capsule will give you great sound. The
Sanken CSS-5 is also a great MS mic. Of course, as always, it's nice if
you can try them out and hear for yourself.

Sennheiser: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/
Sanken: http://www.sanken-mic.com/index.html

Scott Dorsey

In article . com,
wrote:
i am going to be recording some live chamber music for a short film. i
have pairs of nice SD cards and omnis, but for this project i was
thinking of using a good quality MS setup for mono compatibility and
ease in switching to the short verbal interviews with some of the
players. of course i still want great audio reproduction. i have
never used an MS setup before, though. what do you guys suggest?
thanks.

I think that a pair of cardioids in X-Y will give you a similar effect
without having to buy anything new, and the mono compatibility is just
as good. The main reason for using a single-point stereo mike for film
work is the convenience. Since you're not hanging off the back of a
motorcycle or anything, the convenience is really not needed.

If you absolutely have your mind set on it, try renting the Sanken.

I'd do the orchestra the way you normally would, and use a mic more
suited for dialog for the interviews. I have tried what you mentioned
and found I wasn't all that happy with the stereo on the orchestra with
the MS mic (as opposed to 2 mics in ORTF config), and the Mid-capsule
of the MS mics wasn't as directional as I'd like for the talking--more
BG noise and room reflections than I wanted.

Philip Perkins

my understanding is that Schoeps is used a lot in film/video location
work. Schoeps is also used a lot in the classical world. so that
means you should use Behringer.

LOL! I about fell out of my chair laughing at that one!

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos