ch

Default UPS on Stereo?

Does anyone know if a computer UPS will work on a stereo?

I'm thinking I will have to check the THD on the UPS if I can find the
rating, for one thing.

Tech support from Bryston said to be sure the UPS outputs a pure
sinewave as opposed to a square one (plus mucho stuff that flew over my
head . I'm pretty sure this APC doesn't put out a pure signal but
what if the pre-amp, cd, tuner etc were plugged into the ups but not
the amplifier?

I only want to do this temporarily because of a lack of grounded
outlets in this old place.

Opinons? Good idea? Bad idea? Makes no difference?
Mark D. Zacharias

Ungrounded outlets aren't a problem with most consumer audio - they only use
2-pronged plugs anyway. I live in a 50 year old house and this has never
been a problem.

Mark Z.

"ch" wrote in message
Does anyone know if a computer UPS will work on a stereo?

I'm thinking I will have to check the THD on the UPS if I can find the
rating, for one thing.

Tech support from Bryston said to be sure the UPS outputs a pure
sinewave as opposed to a square one (plus mucho stuff that flew over my
head . I'm pretty sure this APC doesn't put out a pure signal but
what if the pre-amp, cd, tuner etc were plugged into the ups but not
the amplifier?

I only want to do this temporarily because of a lack of grounded
outlets in this old place.

Opinons? Good idea? Bad idea? Makes no difference?

Jerry G.

You can use a UPS on a stereo system, as long as it is a low distortion
sinewave. The distortions are what will cause the power transformer to run
hot. If the distortions are too high, the transformer can be damaged.

This will require a UPS that is rated to be of a low distortion sinewave,
that is rated for transformer applications. I don't know if Emerson is still
around, but they made some very good models of this type. There is also the
Triplet, and some models of the APC. You will have to search around.

There will be no effect on the characteristics of the system. The system
works on DC only internally. Right after the power transformers in any
system, there are the rectifiers, and then the filter caps.

I am using an old Emerson system to run my sound system, and I have no
problems with it. I have mostly everything in my home running on a UPS of
some type. I believe in protecting my investments. I found that the lifespan
of anything electrical that is on a UPS is increased considerably.

--

Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG
==========================

"ch" wrote in message
Does anyone know if a computer UPS will work on a stereo?

I'm thinking I will have to check the THD on the UPS if I can find the
rating, for one thing.

Tech support from Bryston said to be sure the UPS outputs a pure
sinewave as opposed to a square one (plus mucho stuff that flew over my
head . I'm pretty sure this APC doesn't put out a pure signal but
what if the pre-amp, cd, tuner etc were plugged into the ups but not
the amplifier?

I only want to do this temporarily because of a lack of grounded
outlets in this old place.

Opinons? Good idea? Bad idea? Makes no difference?

Richard Crowley

"ch" wrote ...
Does anyone know if a computer UPS will work on a stereo?

Theoretically, yes.

I'm thinking I will have to check the THD on the UPS if I
can find the rating, for one thing.

Don't hold your breath.

Tech support from Bryston said to be sure the UPS outputs
a pure sinewave as opposed to a square one (plus mucho
stuff that flew over my head . I'm pretty sure this APC
doesn't put out a pure signal but

A really good, clean UPS will cost more than what you are
trying to power from it. It is likely a complete waste of money.

what if the pre-amp, cd, tuner etc were plugged into the
ups but not the amplifier?

Won't likely make any difference even if you don't plug
ANY of your components into it. You didn't mention WHAT
problem you are trying to solve. From what you have written
to this newsgroup, it sounds like we came in at the middle of
the exercise and don't know the back-story.

I only want to do this temporarily because of a lack of
grounded outlets in this old place.

Hifi/stereo existed for decades before the widespread
availablilty of grounded outlets. Many people actually LIFT
the ground to solve ground loop and other similar products.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article , ch
wrote:

Does anyone know if a computer UPS will work on a stereo?

I'm thinking I will have to check the THD on the UPS if I can find the
rating, for one thing.

Tech support from Bryston said to be sure the UPS outputs a pure
sinewave as opposed to a square one (plus mucho stuff that flew over my
head . I'm pretty sure this APC doesn't put out a pure signal but
what if the pre-amp, cd, tuner etc were plugged into the ups but not
the amplifier?

I only want to do this temporarily because of a lack of grounded
outlets in this old place.

Opinons? Good idea? Bad idea? Makes no difference?

$$$$$$$ for a low distortion sine UPS.

Don't worry about distortion. It just shouldn't be a square wave
because the peak voltage is too low. A modified sine (3 step square)
works electrically but it may cause mechanical hum. Any reasonably good
sine wave will work perfectly. Turntables that synchronize to the AC
will require a frequency regulated sine wave.

I hope you don't plan to use the tuner on the UPS. Except for the
massive cabinet/floor models having 60Hz transformers, they generate a
lot of EMI.

CJT

ch wrote:

Does anyone know if a computer UPS will work on a stereo?

I'm thinking I will have to check the THD on the UPS if I can find the
rating, for one thing.

Tech support from Bryston said to be sure the UPS outputs a pure
sinewave as opposed to a square one (plus mucho stuff that flew over my
head . I'm pretty sure this APC doesn't put out a pure signal but
what if the pre-amp, cd, tuner etc were plugged into the ups but not
the amplifier?

I only want to do this temporarily because of a lack of grounded
outlets in this old place.

Opinons? Good idea? Bad idea? Makes no difference?

If lack of a ground is the problem, maybe you should run a ground
(not aground g). A UPS won't create a ground where there wasn't
one. If the reason you're concerned about a ground is safety, then
an isolation transformer would be a better solution.

Perhaps you could better describe your issues.