Frank A

Default PC Controlled Sound

Anyone aware of what type of product(s) can take audio from a sound card and
split it to various speaker "pairs/zones". I want it so that software on
the PC can control which zones get the music

I found one thing that looks okay... http://www.hacs.com/ab8ss.html (of
course with my luck its out of stock). Even with that thing; I'm not sure
what type of amplifier I need.

Any advice/guidance is greatly appreciated.

Frank

Laurence Payne

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 02:05:53 GMT, "Frank A" wrote:

Anyone aware of what type of product(s) can take audio from a sound card and
split it to various speaker "pairs/zones". I want it so that software on
the PC can control which zones get the music

I found one thing that looks okay... http://www.hacs.com/ab8ss.html (of
course with my luck its out of stock). Even with that thing; I'm not sure
what type of amplifier I need.

Any advice/guidance is greatly appreciated.

That unit appears to be a speaker routing system. Feed it from the
speaker outputs of whatever amplifier would normally drive the
speakers. It allows for two inputs from separate amplifiers. You
appear not to need this facility.

This seems to do what you require. Maybe they offer a cheaper
version with a single input? It seems to be down to you to write
software to control it via a serial port on your computer, though a
sample qbasic routine is offered.
Frank A

"Laurence Payne" wrote in message
[...]

Yea that item did seem to do what I wanted... my question was with what type
of Amplifier I would use with it... I'm not sure what I would need to
connect between the PC and the unit.

What do you think?

Laurence Payne

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:16:58 GMT, "Frank A" wrote:

That unit appears to be a speaker routing system. Feed it from the
speaker outputs of whatever amplifier would normally drive the
speakers. It allows for two inputs from separate amplifiers. You
appear not to need this facility.

This seems to do what you require. Maybe they offer a cheaper
version with a single input? It seems to be down to you to write
software to control it via a serial port on your computer, though a
sample qbasic routine is offered.

Yea that item did seem to do what I wanted... my question was with what type
of Amplifier I would use with it... I'm not sure what I would need to
connect between the PC and the unit.

I repeat - whatever amplifier you would normally use to drive the
speakers, if they were sitting next to your computer.

I guess you'll be wanting something better than the plastic "computer"
speakers, designed for very close-up listening? If you're using
speakers designed to go with a domestic hi-fi amp, use one of them.

Are there any special requirements? Very long speaker runs? Need
for top quality?
Frank A

[...]

Long speaker runs would be a yes I guess... I plan on having the output of
this control multiple rooms on different floors of the house. For now the
Amp/Speakers will be mid level and then I might upgrade later on.

The reason I ask about the Amp is that my speakers for my computer dont seem
to use the same type connectors as that unit.... so I wasn't sure if there
was a special type of amp that would.

Frank

Laurence Payne

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:16:58 GMT, "Frank A" wrote:

Yea that item did seem to do what I wanted... my question was with what type
of Amplifier I would use with it... I'm not sure what I would need to
connect between the PC and the unit.

The web page says they are "Quick-detach screwdown terminals". I
think they accept plain old bare wire :-)