Dan Busetti

Default Electrolytic replacement in old receiver

The big can electrolytics have leaked out goo some time ago in my
Technics SA5770A. The only replacements I found while searching the
web were from newarkinone (United Chemi-con U32D80LG223M63X79HPC). I
need two 22,000mfd @80vdc. Their price of $14.53 each seemed way too
cheap. Is there another source? Or will these be ok?
The receiver still plays ok, but I know a catastrophic end is coming
if these should short out.

Laurence Payne

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:51:39 -0000, "Rich.Andrews"
wrote:

The big can electrolytics have leaked out goo some time ago in my
Technics SA5770A. The only replacements I found while searching the
web were from newarkinone (United Chemi-con U32D80LG223M63X79HPC). I
need two 22,000mfd @80vdc. Their price of $14.53 each seemed way too
cheap. Is there another source? Or will these be ok?
The receiver still plays ok, but I know a catastrophic end is coming
if these should short out.

To be honest, $14.53 is about right. If you want, you can buy them from me
at $48.77 each. (:) Big can electrolytics are generally cheap.

I'll sell you same "audiophile" ones at twice that price, if you
insist ;-)

Rich.Andrews

Laurence Payne wrote in
:

wrote:

The big can electrolytics have leaked out goo some time ago in my
Technics SA5770A. The only replacements I found while searching the
web were from newarkinone (United Chemi-con U32D80LG223M63X79HPC). I
need two 22,000mfd @80vdc. Their price of $14.53 each seemed way too
cheap. Is there another source? Or will these be ok?
The receiver still plays ok, but I know a catastrophic end is coming
if these should short out.

To be honest, $14.53 is about right. If you want, you can buy them from

me
at $48.77 each. (:) Big can electrolytics are generally cheap.

I'll sell you same "audiophile" ones at twice that price, if you
insist ;-)

My audiophile gold version is $977.00 each and that is my cost...honest!

Dan Busetti

"Rich.Andrews" wrote in message .1...
Laurence Payne wrote in
:

wrote:

The big can electrolytics have leaked out goo some time ago in my
Technics SA5770A. The only replacements I found while searching the
web were from newarkinone (United Chemi-con U32D80LG223M63X79HPC). I
need two 22,000mfd @80vdc. Their price of $14.53 each seemed way too
cheap. Is there another source? Or will these be ok?
The receiver still plays ok, but I know a catastrophic end is coming
if these should short out.

To be honest, $14.53 is about right. If you want, you can buy them from

me
at $48.77 each. (:) Big can electrolytics are generally cheap.

I'll sell you same "audiophile" ones at twice that price, if you
insist ;-)

My audiophile gold version is $977.00 each and that is my cost...honest!

As Yakov would say, What a Country! If Golds costs $977, what do
Platinums cost?
I ordered a pair from newarkinone for $29+ shipping. I suppose this
big Technics (165 wpc)is worthy of Gold, but utilitarian units will
have to do.
Rich.Andrews

(Dan Busetti) wrote in
m:

wrote:

[...]

But if you really want to hear the music, my Americium line (formerly
known as the Ultra Plutonium line), is the ultimate in capacitors. If you
really want to hear the music, you must have them. Just the price list
alone is $55.00. Pricey? Sure. But you want to hear music don't you?
You aren't really hearing music unless you have these caps installed in
your amp, preamp, and cd/sacd/dvd player. You should see the testimonials
on file. The one thing that they all say is "I realize now that I wasn't
really listening to music, but thanks to Americium Capacitors, I can now
hear music....Thanks!" Other comments include "Worth it at twice the
price" and "Never has there been a more musical cap made...ever!" "More
dynamics than I though was possible in this universe" "Extra yummy
chocolatey bass!" "Americium caps are better than sex, drugs, or
rock'n'roll, together or separately or in any combination."

The most important part of your equipment is the power supply. Don't you
think that your equipment and *you* deserve the best? Only American made
Americium gives you the best sound and there is only one place in the
world to get Americium capacitors. Me!

Seriously, the $29.00 version seems like a good choice provided there is
some reason why they cost more than the $15.00 caps.

Laurence Payne

As Yakov would say, What a Country! If Golds costs $977, what do
Platinums cost?
I ordered a pair from newarkinone for $29+ shipping. I suppose this
big Technics (165 wpc)is worthy of Gold, but utilitarian units will
have to do.

Just remind us again why you rejected the $14.53 ones?
Dan Busetti

Laurence Payne wrote in message . ..
As Yakov would say, What a Country! If Golds costs $977, what do
Platinums cost?
I ordered a pair from newarkinone for $29+ shipping. I suppose this
big Technics (165 wpc)is worthy of Gold, but utilitarian units will
have to do.

Just remind us again why you rejected the $14.53 ones?

I didn't.
$14.53 + $14.53= $29.06.
So I rounded down .06. I ordered (2) $14.53 units.
Speaking of the PS caps, Technics advertising says this unit has
"conservatively rated power supply capacitors."

Arny Krueger

"Dan Busetti" wrote in message
om

The big can electrolytics have leaked out goo some time ago in my
Technics SA5770A. The only replacements I found while searching the
web were from newarkinone (United Chemi-con U32D80LG223M63X79HPC). I
need two 22,000mfd @80vdc. Their price of $14.53 each seemed way too
cheap. Is there another source? Or will these be ok?

If the dimensions are OK, seems like a slam dunk.

The receiver still plays ok, but I know a catastrophic end is coming
if these should short out.

I looked up the specs on this old classic at

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers.htm

At 165 wpc, its a brute. +/- 80 volts and 22,000 uF is LOTS of PS filter cap
for a receiver, but for a machine this powerful, its about right.

There is a picture of the guts at

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers/sa5770.htm

Looks to be nicely made. Note particularly the 4 gang (or more) tuning cap.

A simple low frequency FR test will give you an idea as to whether any of
the other caps in the receiver may have partially failed in a more concealed
fashion. Normally cheap DVMs aren't good for FR tests at high audio
frequencies, but most of them are good enough to get a represenative idea of
what's happening at 400 Hz, and 20 Hz. If the response at 20 Hz is more than
a dB or two down from 400 Hz, you've probably got some other dried-out caps
to deal with.

Dan Busetti

[...]

Yep, it was a slam dunk. They bolted in and I used some terminal
strips to anchor the leads on the screw terminals. B+ B- are 74.5 vdc.
Sounds much better than before, more power, definition and detail.
Will drive my Infinity Studio Monitors to concussive levels. I have a
test CD from my brother I can use to check bass response.