jbrinker007

I don't know about clarion, but I think I saw a 34" or 36" Audiobahn
subwoofer last year when I was looking for subs

--
jbrinker007
jbrinker007's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=31414

Fjori

Default 36" Subwoofer

I'm hoping someone here can help me out with this.

I could have sworn that somebody (I think Clarion) made a 36" sub a
few years back, but I haven't found any reference to it searching
newsgroups or webpages.

If they did make one, I would really appreciate any information that
can be provided whether it be reviews, T/S parameters, or hopefully a
link to where I can find pictures of it.

A coworker of mine thinks I'm completely out of my mind after I
mentioned it to him. I don't dispute that I'm crazy, but I'd like to
show him that there really was one.
Kirby

It was audiobahn, and MMXpress sells them for a pretty penny. The link from
there is http://www.mmxpress.com/Audiobahn/8inch.htm#linearcomp. But it
doesnt look like Audiobahn still manufactures them anymore. I would have
loved to get my hands on one though. 5000 watts R.M.S. speaks for itself I
think...

"jbrinker007" wrote in message

I don't know about clarion, but I think I saw a 34" or 36" Audiobahn
subwoofer last year when I was looking for subs

--
jbrinker007
jbrinker007's Profile:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=31414
View this thread:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=204274

Brandonb

Clarion had 32" sub, and Audiobahn had a 34".

Here is the link to the Clarion manual (watch for wrap):

http://www.teamclarion.com/sharedwebdbs/clarionsupport.nsf/b519d112bdcca8b588256a630071fab1/f4964c566f50552a88256a64006efb40/$FILE/SRW8000%20SUBWOOFER.pdf

Brandonb

Fjori wrote:

I'm hoping someone here can help me out with this.

I could have sworn that somebody (I think Clarion) made a 36" sub a
few years back, but I haven't found any reference to it searching
newsgroups or webpages.

If they did make one, I would really appreciate any information that
can be provided whether it be reviews, T/S parameters, or hopefully a
link to where I can find pictures of it.

A coworker of mine thinks I'm completely out of my mind after I
mentioned it to him. I don't dispute that I'm crazy, but I'd like to
show him that there really was one.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article .com,
Fjori wrote:

I'm hoping someone here can help me out with this.

I could have sworn that somebody (I think Clarion) made a 36" sub a
few years back, but I haven't found any reference to it searching
newsgroups or webpages.

If they did make one, I would really appreciate any information that
can be provided whether it be reviews, T/S parameters, or hopefully a
link to where I can find pictures of it.

A coworker of mine thinks I'm completely out of my mind after I
mentioned it to him. I don't dispute that I'm crazy, but I'd like to
show him that there really was one.

PA subs are that big. See if they have a professional or PA catalog.

I'm not sure why you'd want such a large diameter sub for a car. If
you've got lots of room, get a sub that's more efficient in larger
enclosures. Adire Audio has some good ones - Shiva, Tempest, and
Brahma. If you're insane and have $5000 to burn, they'll build you a
custom Parthenon with up to 16 cubic feet of displacement.

Fjori

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 22:09:12 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

PA subs are that big. See if they have a professional or PA catalog.

I'm not sure why you'd want such a large diameter sub for a car. If
you've got lots of room, get a sub that's more efficient in larger
enclosures. Adire Audio has some good ones - Shiva, Tempest, and
Brahma. If you're insane and have $5000 to burn, they'll build you a
custom Parthenon with up to 16 cubic feet of displacement.

I don't want one for my car. I'm happy with my two Infinity Perfect
subs, but these big bohemoths came up in a conversation and my
coworker had never heard of any that big and didn't think anyone
actually made them because it wouldn't be really easy to implement
into a car's system.

Thanks for the help guys...
Scott Badman

"Fjori" wrote in message
news.com...
but these big bohemoths came up in a conversation and my
coworker had never heard of any that big and didn't think anyone
actually made them because it wouldn't be really easy to implement
into a car's system.

In a car, no, it isn't easy.

In the tray of a ute though, the possibilities open right up

smgreen1820

Clarions 32" sub was underated on its power handleing, clarion didn't
feel the need to correct this in any publications they made. It could
handle up to 1000 watts RMS, 500 per coil, that's why you had the
"undersag". I saw one at a store though I didn't get to hear it, it
also had two VCs. Clarion also misspublished that. It will take a 15-18
cube box, sealed, so A VWs trunk wouldn't do, not air tight enough.
CA&E did a review on it, issue ##, ???
It retailed at $4000.00

--
smgreen1820
smgreen1820's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=29027

MC BOB MC BOB is offline
Junior Member

Location: Townsville, Queensland, Australia.

Quote:
PA subs are that big. See if they have a professional or PA catalog.

I'm not sure why you'd want such a large diameter sub for a car. If
you've got lots of room..................
Sound Reinforcement speakers are not usually that big at all. The high mass of the cone drops the response times drastically, which spells doom for any Sound Reinforcement system. The aim of SR is to have the same sound generated at larger volumes. Using a woofer that large would produce muddy, distorted and overly boomy bass. The only SR brand that has a woofer that large is Electro-Voice, and even that was infinite-baffle to combat lag times. The largest transducer used in SR systems would be 18", and even that size of woofer has lag issues in some enclosures.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

.. The largest transducer used in SR
systems would be 18", and even that size of woofer has lag issues in
some enclosures.

Lag issues? Cpt. Howdy and I went back and forth on this very issue and the
consensus was that as long as the motor structure (magnet, voice coil, etc.)
is large enough, cone size DOES NOT effect response time (or "tightness, or
lag-time, or whatever you want to call it). True, as diameter increases,
cone mass will increase exponentially, but again this can be accounted for
in an adequate size motor. The problem, however, with many large diameter
woofers (18" for instance) is that they will frequently use the same motor
structure as their 15" counterpart. This will OBVIOUSLY mean that the 18"
driver will not be as responsive as it's 15" brother.

MTX currently produces a 22" woofer, called the Jackhammer.
http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/pro...jackHammer.cfm This
subwoofer weighs over 300 pounds and a FORKLIFT is REQUIRED for mounting.
The voice-coil diameter is 6.5". Obviously, MTX understands this concept.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

Yeah, and as loud as that Jackhammer can get, it's still a piece of ****.
It doesn't sound good whatsoever. I had some guy who's never heard one tell
me I was wrong. I've heard the thing. It's loud, but not as loud as a 300
lb sub should be.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER
"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

I've never heard it but would really like to. It doesn't surprise me that
it doesn't sound that good. Obviously, it was NOT designed for SQ.

MOSFET

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

There is only one word for this bbbbbbbbbbb bull****.

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

It's loud, but not as loud as a 300
lb sub should be.

Are you sure you heard it driven with enough power? I just reread the
specifications on this thing and it says 6,000 watts RMS, 12,000 watts peak.
The amount of current required to achieve this kind of wattage (ON A
CONTINUOUS BASIS!) would be massive. A couple of 1500 watt class D amps
just wouldn't cut it. Sure, SPL vehicles routinely spit-out this much
power, but it is always for very brief bursts. I have to imagine that if
you COULD find an amp or amps to provide this much power (and then a way to
supply these amps with a CONTINUOUS supply of the 1000's of amperes needed),
it probably would be pretty damn impressive!

But, of course, what I just said really defines the problem with a subwoofer
like this. It is certainly a technological marvel, but it seems nearly
impossible to fully utilize it in an autosound environment.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

I was at a competition near Daytona Beach last year (after the bigun) and
the MTX street team (or whatever they are) had a demo in a vehicle with as
much power as that thing could eat. I am definitely not detesting that it
can put out some SPL, but I just wasn't impressed with the speaker overall.
They had there propaganda up and tried getting people to listen (which many
did in shear awe) but I was disappointed in that monster of a driver.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER
"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

His bull**** LOL

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Chad Wahls

MC BOB wrote:
The largest transducer used in SR
systems would be 18", and even that size of woofer has lag issues in
some enclosures.

--
MC BOB

There are 21" and 24" drivers used in pro audio. Turbosound uses them,
and Turbosound boxes have some pretty snappy low end!

Chad

Posted to rec.audio.car
Doug Kanter

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Considering that the best bass sound ever produced on this planet were done
with engineering which is the exact opposite of what's being discussed here,
why would anyone even want to pursue this?

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Considering that the best bass sound ever produced on this planet were
done with engineering which is the exact opposite of what's being
discussed here, why would anyone even want to pursue this?

I don't understand your point. Yes, it is ALL done with engineering. How
is that the opposite of what we are discussing?

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

I guess I'm ranting about the stupid need to produce this much bass in an
environment that's no larger than the average bathroom, using components
whose sizes achieve no purpose other than to provide some internal balance
for people whose sexual components are lacking in some way.

Yes, I will agree that NOBODY really needs an MTX 22" Jackhammer. I don't
care HOW MUCH you like bass, this subwoofer is DEFINITIVELY TOO MUCH! But
to me it is VERY interesting as a tour-de-force of technology. It is
FASCINATING to see what some will dream-up when NO LIMITS are put before
them. This woofer is definitely an example of this.

I COULD say EXACTLY the same thing about a McClaren F1 car (I'm not sure if
that's the model number, I'm not really a car guy). No one needs to EVER go
200 mph!!! But the FUN is knowing it's there if you need it. And as far as
your "sexual components" crack, if you said that about a McClaren in a
sports-car newsgroup, you would be flamed from hear to eternity. Of course,
we car audio folks are much more refined...dude!

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Doug Kanter

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

What's silly is that most cars you hear whose hardware is falling out from
too much bass have no other speakers in them that are worth a damn. This
proves that P.T. Barnum's statement was an absolute truth.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"MOSFET" wrote:

[...]

You'd need over 150VDC to get 6KW RMS (12KW peak) into 2 Ohms bridged.
A custom class D amp wired to a hybrid's battery pack is the only way I
can think of to get so much power. Even a hybrid would be running at
high regeneration to maintain 6KW. Forget about using a normal
alternator or a single car battery.
Posted to rec.audio.car
Phonedude

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
"MOSFET" wrote:

[...]

I make it to be 110 volts which, into the 2 ohm load, will produce 55 amps.
As power in watts is current times voltage, this will produce 6050 watts of
energy.

However, when you add in continuous power through a less than perfectly
efficient amplifier, I would suspect your 150 volt figure might be somewhat
low. Maybe 200 or more volts would be required.

What kind of energy with what quality of signal and what quality of physical
sound produced is very questionable.

So, can we use 16 gauge wire for this speaker?

PD

Posted to rec.audio.car
Kevin McMurtrie

"MOSFET" wrote:

[...]

Power, when measured the nice way, is from a sine wave. A sine wave has
an average voltage of sqrt(2)/2 and, into a resistive load, an average
power half of the peak power.

150V into 2 Ohms is 75A, 150V @ 75A is 11250W.
For a sine wave you'd have 5625W RMS.

What kind of energy with what quality of signal and what quality of physical
sound produced is very questionable.

So, can we use 16 gauge wire for this speaker?

You bet, as long as it's 16 gauge Monster Cable. It won't burst into
flames, honest. Let me get my camera...

PD

Posted to rec.audio.car
Atomic Fusion

Doug Kanter Wrote:
"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

What's more amazing is that you spend so much of your free time
aimlessly ranting about a hobby you hate... Maybe you need a hobby
yourself.

Adam

--
Atomic Fusion
Atomic Fusion's Profile: http://forum.soundillusions.net/member.php?userid=1493

Posted to rec.audio.car
Doug Kanter

"Atomic Fusion" wrote
in message ...

Doug Kanter Wrote:
"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, I love car audio, and I have a very nice system. But, building a
system that puts out 99% bass is not a hobby. It's a mistake. And, I'm a
bass player, so if anyone would want to hear lots of bass, it's me. But,
bass players have taste.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Actually, I love car audio, and I have a very nice system. But, building a
system that puts out 99% bass is not a hobby. It's a mistake. And, I'm a
bass player, so if anyone would want to hear lots of bass, it's me. But,
bass players have taste.

Doug, you say that you love car audio, but it sounds to me like what you
love is "Doug Kanter's Definition of Car Audio". Don't worry, this is a
common affliction on RAC that many of us tend to catch. I certainly had
this attitude when I competed in IASCA in the early to mid 90's. But if
you TRULY love this hobby, what you will eventually realize is that there is
no "right" way to enjoy car audio. It really boils down to what YOU like,
not what IASCA likes, not what Stereophile likes, etc.

As for me, I happen to want the best of both worlds. I love that my system
has pinpoint imaging, a broad and deep soundstage, smooth frequency
response, and punchy dynamics. BUT, I can also boom with the best of them
when I want. The point is, IMHO, this group should be about "whatever
floats your boat" when it comes to car audio.

If someone enjoys their system a certain way, then THAT SYSTEM IS SET
CORRECTLY FOR THAT PERSON!

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Doug Kanter

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Well, for me, it's not a hobby. The music is a hobby, a passion, and a part
time business, and the hardware is nothing but a delivery method.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Phonedude

"MOSFET" wrote:

[...]

Or you could just apply the Boeing Constant (a name I just made up) and
divide my 110 volts by .707 to get an RMS number of 155.6 volts.

PD

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Or you could just apply the Boeing Constant (a name I just made up) and
divide my 110 volts by .707 to get an RMS number

LOL

Posted to rec.audio.car
Chad Wahls

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Actually, I love car audio, and I have a very nice system. But, building a
system that puts out 99% bass is not a hobby. It's a mistake. And, I'm a
bass player, so if anyone would want to hear lots of bass, it's me. But,
bass players have taste.

Correction, SOME bass players have taste!

Did you hear about the drummer that locked his keys in the car? It took
them 20 minutes to get the bass player out!

Chad

Posted to rec.audio.car
Doug Kanter

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Actually, I love car audio, and I have a very nice system. But, building
a system that puts out 99% bass is not a hobby. It's a mistake. And, I'm
a bass player, so if anyone would want to hear lots of bass, it's me.
But, bass players have taste.

Correction, SOME bass players have taste!

Did you hear about the drummer that locked his keys in the car? It took
them 20 minutes to get the bass player out!

Chad

Try floating the boom car idea in alt.guitar.bass. Let me know how that
goes.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

Chad Wahls wrote:
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Actually, I love car audio, and I have a very nice system. But, building a
system that puts out 99% bass is not a hobby. It's a mistake. And, I'm a
bass player, so if anyone would want to hear lots of bass, it's me. But,
bass players have taste.

Correction, SOME bass players have taste!

Did you hear about the drummer that locked his keys in the car? It took
them 20 minutes to get the bass player out!

Did you hear about the bass player who was in tune?

Neither did I...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0612-1, 03/22/2006
Tested on: 3/22/2006 3:30:10 PM

Posted to rec.audio.car
Chad Wahls

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Actually, I love car audio, and I have a very nice system. But, building
a system that puts out 99% bass is not a hobby. It's a mistake. And, I'm
a bass player, so if anyone would want to hear lots of bass, it's me.
But, bass players have taste.

Correction, SOME bass players have taste!

Did you hear about the drummer that locked his keys in the car? It took
them 20 minutes to get the bass player out!

Chad

Try floating the boom car idea in alt.guitar.bass. Let me know how that
goes.

I've been in the music industry for a lllooonnnnggg time, trust me, it was a
joke

Chad