Zach Pardos

Default Using Wave Out as recording source

Morning,

I've been struggling to find a way to effectively use my card's wave
out as a recording source.

The easiest way to describe this is that I want what SB Live offers,
which is a recording source called "What you hear", selectable in the
mixer. This allows any application, yahoo messenger, windows recorder,
etc.
to use the wave out as the default recording source.

I have a EDIROL UA-5 audio interface. I'm using its ASIO driver
with cubase and it runs wonderfully, low latency with VST effects and
all. The drivers for the UA-5 dont have a mixer with a "What you hear"
option, only sblive has that as far as I know.

Seems there should be a way around this. If I were to visualize an
application that would solve this, it may do something like this:
Register a virtual MME recording device with windows, read the audio
from my card's wave out and stream it to the newly created recording
device. Not so hard right?

Unfortunately, my card's windows mixer features are for *shti.
Basically it has none. There is only a "wave" volume control for
playback and actually NO controls for recording. This means that
physically patching an output to an input isn't an option because a
feedback loop couldn't be avoided by muting line-in on playback. I
also can't patch it to my onboard card because my onboard card is
busted (bummer huh).

I know of "Total record" and even a horrible program called "Virtual
Audio Cable". Unfortunately, none of them do the trick for me because
they only give the option of routing any device's input line to any
device's output line.

All i need is EDIROL Out - Virtual Line In. But this is proving to be
near impossible.

Some help would be great. I'm out of ideas it seems,
Zach