Dachman Audio U87 Clone Kit

Old December 14th 20, 06:15 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Dorman

Default Dachman Audio U87 Clone Kit

What do you folks think about this?

https://dachmanaudio.com/da-87i-vint...er-microphone/

It comes in both kit form, and fully assembled.

I'd certainly love to save thousands!

Old December 14th 20, 07:06 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 14/12/2020 6:15 pm, Paul Dorman wrote:
> What do you folks think about this?
>
> https://dachmanaudio.com/da-87i-vint...er-microphone/
>
> It comes in both kit form, and fully assembled.
>
> I'd certainly love to save thousands!

I wonder what the actual origins of the capsules are.

Old December 14th 20, 09:13 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Dorman

On 12/13/2020 11:06 PM, geoff wrote:
> On 14/12/2020 6:15 pm, Paul Dorman wrote:
>> What do you folks think about this?
>>
>> https://dachmanaudio.com/da-87i-vint...er-microphone/
>>
>> It comes in both kit form, and fully assembled.
>>
>> I'd certainly love to save thousands!
>>

> I wonder what the actual origins of the capsules are.

Dunno, but I'd like to see some blind tests with
a real U87, and see if people can tell the difference!

Old December 14th 20, 03:37 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >,
Paul Dorman > wrote:
>What do you folks think about this?
>
>https://dachmanaudio.com/da-87i-vint...er-microphone/
>
>It comes in both kit form, and fully assembled.
>
>I'd certainly love to save thousands!

Everyone and his brother makes a U87 clone. Some are better than others.
Old December 14th 20, 06:48 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising

On Monday, December 14, 2020 at 6:37:25 AM UTC-8, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article >,
> Paul Dorman > wrote:
> >What do you folks think about this?
> >
> >https://dachmanaudio.com/da-87i-vint...er-microphone/
> >
> >It comes in both kit form, and fully assembled.
> >
> >I'd certainly love to save thousands!

> Everyone and his brother makes a U87 clone. Some are better than others.
> --scott
> --

If everything else in the kit is true to the original, get a Neumann K87 capsule for less than $1K and put the Dachman capsule in inventory. Then do the blindfold test.

~ Roy W. Rising "If you notice the *sound*, it's wrong!"
Old December 14th 20, 07:18 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 12/14/2020 3:13 AM, Paul Dorman wrote:

> ** \I'd like to see some blind tests with
> a real U87, and see if people can tell the difference!

That's what they all ask - does it sound like the real thing? Does your
U87 sound like my U87? Probably not exactly.

The important thing is whether it sounds good to you on your projects.
There was a time when there were a few standard studio mics that clients
expected you to have. I bought two, and still have them and use them.
But I have a couple of other mics that "sound like" U87s that don't
sound like either of my U87s, but they're useful in most places where
I'd use a U87 and they're nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm not familiar with this maker and I have no idea where his parts come
from. I know a little more about Mic Parts they're very open about
their designs and sources. If you're looking to save some money buy
building a mic from a kit, check them out

https://microphone-parts.com/

Old December 15th 20, 01:34 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Dorman

On 12/14/2020 7:37 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article >,
> Paul Dorman > wrote:
>> What do you folks think about this?
>>
>> https://dachmanaudio.com/da-87i-vint...er-microphone/
>>
>> It comes in both kit form, and fully assembled.
>>
>> I'd certainly love to save thousands!

> Everyone and his brother makes a U87 clone. Some are better than others.

Can you recommend a U87 clone?

Either in kit form, or fully assembled?
Old December 20th 20, 04:26 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Roy W. Rising > wrote:
>On Monday, December 14, 2020 at 6:37:25 AM UTC-8, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Paul Dorman > wrote:
>> >What do you folks think about this?
>> >
>> >https://dachmanaudio.com/da-87i-vint...er-microphone/
>> >
>> >It comes in both kit form, and fully assembled.
>> >
>> >I'd certainly love to save thousands!

>> Everyone and his brother makes a U87 clone. Some are better than others.

>If everything else in the kit is true to the original, get a Neumann K87 capsule for less than $1K and put the Dachman capsule in inventory. Then do the blindfold test.

Unfortunately there are two critical things that cannot be true to the
original.

First is the shape of the grille, which actually makes quite a difference in
the sound. You can copy the material, but you can't copy the shape because it
is trademarked and Neumann is very aggressive about legal action. So all the
clones have slightly different grille shapes. The degree to which this changes
the sound is something that nobody has systematically tested.

The second is the diaphragm tensioning... the method Neumann uses today is
a secret. The method all the people copying Neumann capsules use is one
that Neumann abandoned some time in the sixties... and it can work well
only if very skilled people are doing the work very carefully. The KM53
was finally discontinued when the woman who could hand-tension those
capsules retired and they couldn't do it properly anymore. Today, Neumann
uses automated tensioning methods which among other things means a
consistently good null in figure-8 mode. Nobody outside Neumann has seen
it in operation and it has not yet been copied. (Most of the other big
companies also use automated systems but the Neumann method, whatever it is,
is clearly different than the ones Shure, A-T, and AKG are using.)

It's easy to make U87-style microphones, but it's hard to make them well
and I am not sure it's possible to make them exactly like Neumann.
Old December 21st 20, 02:51 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_]

Per Mike's and Scott's comments, I get really tired of seeing knock offs.

"Whoo Hooo! Get a Neumann clone for a fraction of the price!!!!!!"

Stick with your SM58 until you can afford a real one. Then hope you actually know how to use it.

I recall a conversation with a radio production guy many years ago who had a U 87 i. "Horrible on acoustic guitar", he said.

I asked where he put the mic. "Right in front of the sound hole, OF COURSE! It was waay boomy. I don't know why people think they're so great."

::sigh::

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old December 21st 20, 03:08 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 05:51:01 -0800 (PST), Ty Ford
> wrote:

>Per Mike's and Scott's comments, I get really tired of seeing knock offs.
>
>"Whoo Hooo! Get a Neumann clone for a fraction of the price!!!!!!"
>
>Stick with your SM58 until you can afford a real one. Then hope you actually know how to use it.
>
>I recall a conversation with a radio production guy many years ago who had a U 87 i. "Horrible on acoustic guitar", he said.
>
>I asked where he put the mic. "Right in front of the sound hole, OF COURSE! It was waay boomy. I don't know why people think they're so great."
>
>::sigh::
>
>Regards,
>
>Ty Ford

When I record acoustic guitar, I like to record the whole guitar, not
the sound hole, not the 12th fret, not the upper bout. About six feet
in front is my favoured location in my nicely treated room. Not only
is the guitar properly balanced, but only a smidge of EQ is needed to
kill the slight residue of proximity bass lift.

Good amps to clone Bret L Vacuum Tubes 0 April 25th 10 12:35 AM
WTB Waves Q-Clone License Haolemon Pro Audio 1 September 16th 07 08:26 AM
The clone marching on [email protected] Audio Opinions 5 August 23rd 07 05:23 AM
Clone Ensemble dispute [email protected] Pro Audio 0 August 23rd 05 03:13 AM
N72 1272 clone Studio Froombosch Pro Audio 0 March 31st 04 01:52 PM