Delay strangeness

Old December 10th 20, 04:08 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah[_6_]

Default Delay strangeness

I have a need for the type of delay effect that I
used to run a guitar through when I was a kid.
I really only need adjustments for delay time
and feedback.

So I've tried a few VST plugins, but they all
seem to suffer from a behavior that makes them
difficult to use to get the effect I'm looking
for.

The problem is that if I set the feedback to
50% say, I hear the original sound, then 'delay'
seconds later, that sound again at full volume,
followed by the usual tapering volume thereafter.
Something like this:

| |
| |
| |
| |
| | |
| | |
| | | |
| | | | |

When what I want is:

| |
| |
| | |
| | | |

Now, I realize that I can lower the output of the delay
so that the first echo is at the correct volume, but then
I have to fiddle with that level every time I adjust the
feedback level.

Anyone know of a free or low cost delay plugin that behaves
the way my old guitar pedals used to?
Old December 10th 20, 10:47 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/12/2020 4:08 am, Tobiah wrote:
> I have a need for the type of delay effect that I
> used to run a guitar through when I was a kid.
> I really only need adjustments for delay time
> and feedback.
>
> So I've tried a few VST plugins, but they all
> seem to suffer from a behavior that makes them
> difficult to use to get the effect I'm looking
> for.
>
> The problem is that if I set the feedback to
> 50% say, I hear the original sound, then 'delay'
> seconds later, that sound again at full volume,
> followed by the usual tapering volume thereafter.
> Something like this:
>
> | |
> | |
> | |
> | |
> | | |
> | | |
> | | | |
> | | | | |

> When what I want is:
>

> | |
> | |
> | | |
> | | | |

> Now, I realize that I can lower the output of the delay
> so that the first echo is at the correct volume, but then
> I have to fiddle with that level every time I adjust the
> feedback level.
>
> Anyone know of a free or low cost delay plugin that behaves
> the way my old guitar pedals used to?

Practically any Delay plugin should behave as you expect by default, I
would have thought. And save your fave as a preset, or does the one
you've got not support presets either ?

Old December 11th 20, 03:22 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

> Practically any Delay plugin should behave as you expect by default,
> I would have thought.

I would have thought so too. I was using reaDelay within Reaper.
I sends the first echo at 100%, and then applies the feedback
percentage after that. I always thought it was an unfortunate
quirk in that plugin, but I recently tried a couple of unrelated
free delay plugins and they behaved the same way. The problem
is most notable at lower feedback levels.

Old December 12th 20, 01:52 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/12/2020 3:22 am, Tobiah wrote:
>> Practically any Delay plugin should behave as you expect by default,
>> I would have thought.

> I would have thought so too.* I was using reaDelay within Reaper.
> I sends the first echo at 100%, and then applies the feedback
> percentage after that.* I always thought it was an unfortunate
> quirk in that plugin, but I recently tried a couple of unrelated
> free delay plugins and they behaved the same way.* The problem
> is most notable at lower feedback levels.

Just checked on my Reaper and in ReaDelay simply adjust the 'Wet Out'
control for the desired level of the first delay repeat, and subsequent
repeats are relative to that.

Then ' Save Preset'.

7-second delay Chris M[_2_] Pro Audio 5 December 11th 07 07:56 AM
Delay JasonDamianUs Tech 0 February 9th 07 02:18 AM
(No Dry) Delay U. Cortez Pro Audio 5 June 14th 05 02:51 PM
Need Diagram for Time Delay Relay to delay amp for 1 second or so William Pitt Car Audio 4 September 13th 03 12:32 AM