A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter.com

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter.com forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Will home recording kill commercial studios?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old December 11th 20, 01:21 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,155
Default Will home recording kill commercial studios?

On 12/10/2020 5:56 PM, James Price wrote:
> How much of the shift in demand would you attribute to the popularity of
> home recording?


I wouldn't have any idea how to estimate this. Home recording has been
around for a long time.

Thing is that there's more music recording being done today than ever
before, with the big spike being home recorded music. This isn't
directly a result of the demise of the big studio, but due to the
availability of affordable gear capable, in the right hands, of making a
passable recording. People who would never have considered going to a
studio because of the cost and because they weren't "professional" yet
are recording at home.

It's taken a certain amount of business away from the professional,
commercial studio, but most of the music that's recorded today would
never be seen if the only way to record it was in a commercial studio.

--
For a good time, call http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Ads
  #22  
Old December 11th 20, 02:43 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,798
Default Will home recording kill commercial studios?

martymart > wrote:
>
>> All the full-service studios in the country are gone. The big Hit Factory
>> auction was basically the sign that everything changed. All the big label
>> studios are gone... Columbia's 30th st. studio... all the RCA studios gone.
>>
>> The only studio left in the country large enough for an orchestra or a big
>> band is Skywalker Sound, and that's an audio-for-film shop.

>
>Lest you forget, Scott, right up 95 in Baltimore is Sheffield. I've done big band there, and small orchestra.


That's an educational facility... they make their money teaching classes and
sell some studio time on the side. That's a good thing, and it's one of the
ingenious ways some people have found to keep facilities open... but it is
by no means a full-service commercial studio.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  #23  
Old December 11th 20, 04:04 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,737
Default Will home recording kill commercial studios?

On 11/12/2020 2:43 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> martymart > wrote:
>>
>>> All the full-service studios in the country are gone. The big Hit Factory
>>> auction was basically the sign that everything changed. All the big label
>>> studios are gone... Columbia's 30th st. studio... all the RCA studios gone.
>>>
>>> The only studio left in the country large enough for an orchestra or a big
>>> band is Skywalker Sound, and that's an audio-for-film shop.

>>
>> Lest you forget, Scott, right up 95 in Baltimore is Sheffield. I've done big band there, and small orchestra.

>
> That's an educational facility... they make their money teaching classes and
> sell some studio time on the side. That's a good thing, and it's one of the
> ingenious ways some people have found to keep facilities open... but it is
> by no means a full-service commercial studio.
> --scott
>


Surely most 'full-service' commercial studios keep things ticking over
between significant musical recording work with audio for all sorts of
other things ?

geoff
  #24  
Old December 11th 20, 04:02 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
knadles
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Will home recording kill commercial studios?

On Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 5:42:08 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 5:16:25 PM UTC-6, knadles wrote:
> >
> > Record stores may be a better analogy.

> Vinyl record sales have been steadily increasing year after year starting
> around 2010. It rebounded from $36 million in 2006 to $700 million in
> 2019, and in the US, 2020 unit sales are up over 17% from 2019. A large
> share of vinyl purchases still happen in stores, though the virus that
> shall not be named has undoubtedly slowed growth this year. So, for
> the moment, the vinyl industry is viable.


In contrast to the past, most of those records are being sold through big box stores and online. Perhaps you're not old enough to remember when every town had at least one record store, and many had 3-4.

And don't get too blown away by those numbers. Total LPs sold by unit in 2019 was less than 19 million. Total number of LPs sold in 1980 was 465 million. 1980 sold 2,400% more LPs than 2019.

I'm really not sure what you're getting at, other than trying to be contrarian. If you want to believe there are many brick and mortar recording studios and it's still a dynamic, viable business model, invest in one. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Pete
  #25  
Old December 11th 20, 04:34 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,725
Default Will home recording kill commercial studios?

On 11/12/2020 15:02, knadles wrote:

> I'm really not sure what you're getting at, other than trying to be contrarian. If you want to believe there are many brick and mortar recording studios and it's still a dynamic, viable business model, invest in one. Maybe you'll get lucky.
>

I intend to, but it will be a multi purpose space allowing performances
as well, and I reckon I'll be busy enough to pay the running costs at
least. I'm not planning on getting rich quick.

I'll leave that to the other half dozen studio owners in town, who all
seem to be doing well enough to stay in business. As the market segment
I'm aiming at is empty at the moment, I'm not competing with them.

(In the UK, city population about a quarter of a million.)


--
Tciao for Now!

John.
  #26  
Old December 11th 20, 07:26 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,798
Default Will home recording kill commercial studios?

knadles > wrote:
>
>The Mackie 8-bus and Alesis ADAT lit the fire and DAWs collapsed the roof. =
>The good news is the cost of entry is way cheaper than it used to be. You d=
>on't need a $100K console with Flying Faders and a 24-track machine with Do=
>lby SR and a half dozen Neumanns anymore. The bad news is that few people a=
>re interested in paying you a living sum to operate a recording studio when=
> they can buy their own DAW for 60 bucks and some Chinese LDCs for 75 bucks=
> each.


The cost of entry on the bottom end is way cheaper than it used to be, but
to go up a notch or two is more expensive than ever before. Good rooms are
not cheap, and when you hire a studio you're hiring a room and a mike kit
and the staff, and everything else comes free in the bargain.

In the seventies, in Honolulu there was.... No Huhu Studio... Sounds of
Hawaii.... Soundcatchers... Commercial Recording Hawaii and Audio-Media
Recording studios who were the two big guys... Alii Audio and Video...
Quenzer-Driscoll... Sea-West Studios... Studio Q on Queen Street...
Oh, and Studio Hawaii, they were the third big studio with a 24-track
machine... Griffin Studio on Kalaukaua... Century.... Cine-Pic...
Sea-West... Rendezvous Recording... Hawaii Recording Company...
Paradise Studios... Paladin Productions... MRT...

Probably a lot more but those are the ones I can remember. Three of
those were big 24-track rooms, some of them like No Huhu survived mostly
on voiceover work and radio jingles. Lots of business doing soundtracks
for tourist visitor centers and the like.

And this was not New York or LA, and it was long before there was any
Hawaiian music renaissance like there is today. These days there are a
whole lot more musicians playing out in the city and I think Blue Planet
is the only place left on the island doing commercial work with a decent
room. I think the A studio at Sounds of Hawaii is now a big garage for
a Porsche shop.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  #27  
Old December 11th 20, 07:27 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,798
Default Will home recording kill commercial studios?

James Price > wrote:
>Vinyl record sales have been steadily increasing year after year starting
>around 2010. It rebounded from $36 million in 2006 to $700 million in
>2019, and in the US, 2020 unit sales are up over 17% from 2019. A large
>share of vinyl purchases still happen in stores, though the virus that
>shall not be named has undoubtedly slowed growth this year. So, for
>the moment, the vinyl industry is viable.


Unless you want new releases, because nobody is cutting anything new
because we can't get lacquers.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  #28  
Old December 12th 20, 01:49 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default Will home recording kill commercial studios?

On Friday, December 11, 2020 at 12:27:26 PM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> James Price wrote:
> >Vinyl record sales have been steadily increasing year after year starting
> >around 2010. It rebounded from $36 million in 2006 to $700 million in
> >2019, and in the US, 2020 unit sales are up over 17% from 2019. A large
> >share of vinyl purchases still happen in stores, though the virus that
> >shall not be named has undoubtedly slowed growth this year. So, for
> >the moment, the vinyl industry is viable.

>
> Unless you want new releases, because nobody is cutting anything new
> because we can't get lacquers.


Does 2019's "When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?" by Billie Eilish
and Harry Style's "Fine Line" count?
  #29  
Old December 12th 20, 01:58 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default Will home recording kill commercial studios?

On Friday, December 11, 2020 at 6:49:43 PM UTC-6, James Price wrote:
> On Friday, December 11, 2020 at 12:27:26 PM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
> > Unless you want new releases, because nobody is cutting anything new
> > because we can't get lacquers.


> Does 2019's "When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?" by Billie Eilish
> and Harry Style's "Fine Line" count?


There's also 2020's "Power Up" by AC/DC.
  #30  
Old December 12th 20, 02:50 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,798
Default Will home recording kill commercial studios?

James Price > wrote:
>On Friday, December 11, 2020 at 12:27:26 PM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> James Price wrote:
>> >Vinyl record sales have been steadily increasing year after year starting
>> >around 2010. It rebounded from $36 million in 2006 to $700 million in
>> >2019, and in the US, 2020 unit sales are up over 17% from 2019. A large
>> >share of vinyl purchases still happen in stores, though the virus that
>> >shall not be named has undoubtedly slowed growth this year. So, for
>> >the moment, the vinyl industry is viable.

>>
>> Unless you want new releases, because nobody is cutting anything new
>> because we can't get lacquers.

>
>Does 2019's "When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?" by Billie Eilish
>and Harry Style's "Fine Line" count?


No. The fire was in early February 2020 some time, as I recall. Most folks
have some stock on hand but you can't keep too much because it's somewhat
perishable. I was caught with about 20 lacquers left on the shelf when it
happened. So some people are going to be doing some cutting with what they
have on-hand but when it's gone, it's gone.

A few people with existing accounts at MDC can get a few of their lacquers,
but they were severely backlogged even before the disaster.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ABC article on recording studios jwvm Pro Audio 20 December 29th 09 10:50 PM
Recording Studios [email protected] Audio Opinions 3 December 29th 07 01:52 AM
Home "Studios," microphones, preamps and rentals in Chicago Theodore Kloba Pro Audio 0 April 18th 05 03:56 PM
The Lab Recording Studios markt36264 Pro Audio 3 December 24th 04 11:23 PM
are there any Recording Studios in Thailand? Tony Doogan Pro Audio 13 July 5th 04 11:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 AudioBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.