Will home recording kill commercial studios?

Old December 9th 20, 03:07 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_6_]

Default Will home recording kill commercial studios?

Do you think the rise of home studios will eventually offset
demand for professional recording services to the point that
running a commercial studio won't be a viable career path?
Old December 9th 20, 03:18 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

James Price > wrote:
>Do you think the rise of home studios will eventually offset
>demand for professional recording services to the point that
>running a commercial studio won't be a viable career path?

That happened some time in the mid-nineties. Did you miss it?
Old December 9th 20, 05:43 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_6_]

On Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 8:18:36 PM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> James Price wrote:
> >Do you think the rise of home studios will eventually offset
> >demand for professional recording services to the point that
> >running a commercial studio won't be a viable career path?

> That happened some time in the mid-nineties. Did you miss it?

If it were no longer a viable career path, recording studios would
occupy a niche market on par with typewriter repair.

Old December 9th 20, 08:21 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/12/2020 5:43 pm, James Price wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 8:18:36 PM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> James Price wrote:
>>> Do you think the rise of home studios will eventually offset
>>> demand for professional recording services to the point that
>>> running a commercial studio won't be a viable career path?

>> That happened some time in the mid-nineties. Did you miss it?

> If it were no longer a viable career path, recording studios would
> occupy a niche market on par with typewriter repair.

Eventually those recording in a home or hobby environment may want a
better recording room acoustic, maybe studio instruments (ie real piano,
drums, Hammond, Leslie, etc), better and wider range of mics, expertise,
selection of misc percusiion, etc.

But many will remain happy with what they get at home.

Typewriter-repair really not a good analogy.

Old December 9th 20, 10:26 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 09/12/2020 07:21, geoff wrote:
> On 9/12/2020 5:43 pm, James Price wrote:
>> If it were no longer a viable career path, recording studios would
>> occupy a niche market on par with typewriter repair.
>>

> Eventually those recording in a home or hobby environment may want a
> better recording room acoustic, maybe studio instruments (ie real piano,
> drums, Hammond, Leslie, etc), better and wider range of mics, expertise,
> selection of misc percusiion, etc.

That's the market I'm aiming for with my project. A very nice sounding
room, with whatever instruments you want me to bring in. Grand piano,
percussion and pipe organ always on site.

> But many will remain happy with what they get at home.

True.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old December 9th 20, 11:10 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 09:26:29 +0000, John Williamson
> wrote:

>On 09/12/2020 07:21, geoff wrote:
>> On 9/12/2020 5:43 pm, James Price wrote:
>>> If it were no longer a viable career path, recording studios would
>>> occupy a niche market on par with typewriter repair.
>>>

>> Eventually those recording in a home or hobby environment may want a
>> better recording room acoustic, maybe studio instruments (ie real piano,
>> drums, Hammond, Leslie, etc), better and wider range of mics, expertise,
>> selection of misc percusiion, etc.
>>

>That's the market I'm aiming for with my project. A very nice sounding
>room, with whatever instruments you want me to bring in. Grand piano,
>percussion and pipe organ always on site.
>
>> But many will remain happy with what they get at home.
>>

>True.

Nice sounding is very much out of style right now. Human voices are
required to resemble fog horns - I've even noticed kids trying to
create the sound of pathological autotune in their normal singing
voices. As for nice sounding rooms to record acoustic instruments, do
they really want that? Most of the instrumental stuff is going to live
in synths, and the room acoustic will come later. The more aware will
use impulse responses but most will be happy with synthetic reverb.

Nice acoustic spaces will be increasingly niche.

Old December 9th 20, 11:26 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 09/12/2020 10:10, Don Pearce wrote:

> Nice sounding is very much out of style right now. Human voices are
> required to resemble fog horns - I've even noticed kids trying to
> create the sound of pathological autotune in their normal singing
> voices. As for nice sounding rooms to record acoustic instruments, do
> they really want that? Most of the instrumental stuff is going to live
> in synths, and the room acoustic will come later. The more aware will
> use impulse responses but most will be happy with synthetic reverb.
>
> Nice acoustic spaces will be increasingly niche.

There are a lot of choirs and small orchestras in this area, and last
time I was involved, they were all moaning about not being able to find
s decent room to rehearse and record in. It also has room to seat an
audience of up to a couple of hundred subject to getting a licence.

Either way, I'll have no debts and a secure, if small, income, so can
just about afford to run it as a hobby.

We'll see.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old December 9th 20, 02:27 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_6_]

On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 1:21:15 AM UTC-6 geoff wrote:
> Typewriter-repair really not a good analogy.

The similarity isn't with respect to the relationship between typewriter repair
and recording studios, but rather the demand for said services respectively.
Old December 9th 20, 08:29 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/12/2020 2:27 am, James Price wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 1:21:15 AM UTC-6 geoff wrote:
>> Typewriter-repair really not a good analogy.

> The similarity isn't with respect to the relationship between typewriter repair
> and recording studios, but rather the demand for said services respectively.

Still not a good analogy. Over a dozen working studios in my small
city, and AFAIK, zero typewriter repairers (or demand for).

Old December 9th 20, 08:32 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >,
James Price > wrote:
>On Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 8:18:36 PM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> James Price wrote:
>> >Do you think the rise of home studios will eventually offset
>> >demand for professional recording services to the point that
>> >running a commercial studio won't be a viable career path?

>> That happened some time in the mid-nineties. Did you miss it?

>If it were no longer a viable career path, recording studios would
>occupy a niche market on par with typewriter repair.

No, I can actually find a typewriter repair shop.

All the full-service studios in the country are gone. The big Hit Factory
auction was basically the sign that everything changed. All the big label
studios are gone... Columbia's 30th st. studio... all the RCA studios gone.

The only studio left in the country large enough for an orchestra or a big
band is Skywalker Sound, and that's an audio-for-film shop.