I Built and Used My First Incandescent Bulb Current-Limiter

Old December 22nd 20, 06:31 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Dorman

Default I Built and Used My First Incandescent Bulb Current-Limiter

On 12/22/2020 8:31 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 03:55:24 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> Don Pearce, Lying, Bull****ting pommy idiot spewed:

>> ** Suspect Don has realised his stupid blunder here.
>> Bit will never admit to it.

>>> You are insulting a man who has designed switched mode power supplies,

>> ** But clearly, not insulted him near enough to shut the idiot up.
>>

>>> and has included NTC thermistors for the purpose of limiting switch-on
>>> inrush current.

>> ** The geriatric fool has no clue at all.
>>

> Shame you didn't read your mate's article - which you claim to have
> contributed to (an obvious lie). If you had you would have seen the
> chapter about the use of NTC thermistors in limiting PSU inrush
> current, and describing them as well-established. I presume according
> to you he is also a geriatric fool with no clue.
>
> Please take the meds, Phil.

Agreed, this Troll is a serious liar!

Old December 23rd 20, 01:36 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce, Lying, Bull****ting pommy idiot spewed:

> >===========================================

> >** Suspect Don has realised his stupid blunder here.
> > Bit will never admit to it.

> >> You are insulting a man who has designed switched mode power supplies,

> >** But clearly, not insulted him near enough to shut the idiot up.
> >

> >> and has included NTC thermistors for the purpose of limiting switch-on
> >> inrush current.

> >** The geriatric fool has no clue at all.
> >

> Shame you didn't read your mate's article - which you claim to have
> contributed to (an obvious lie).

** The obvious leis her is you Don.

> If you had you would have seen the
> chapter about the use of NTC thermistors in limiting PSU inrush
> current, and describing them as well-established. I presume according
> to you he is also a geriatric fool with no clue.

** My god you are an utter ****ing ass.

I must have 25 different NTCs in my parts bins and use them as needed for surge current suppression.
I know exactly what they do and do not do.

You know neither.

....... Phil

Old December 23rd 20, 01:40 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul the Trolling ****head wrote:

> Agreed, this Troll is a serious liar!

** ROTFL - wot absurd hypocrisy.

You are comprehensively ****ed in the head. .

...... Phil
Old December 23rd 20, 10:14 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 22/12/2020 1:49 pm, wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> =============
> >
>> It's not clear to me that a thermistor would prevent a fuse from
>> blowing in a guitar amp, or any other circuit, that has a short
>> to ground. Because while the resistance may be high initially, while
>> the thermistor is cold, the resistance will go low as it heats up,
>> allowing the fuse to blow.
>>

> ** Under a short circuit condition , NTC thermistors *explode*
> like a fire cracker spreading debris all over the place.
>
>> Remember a light bulb in series with the AC line, is mainly a
>> trouble-shooting tool.

> ** Of course, a very primitive one that works only sometimes.
>
> Tube radios and tube amps are the main use.
>
> May SS amps will refuse to work with a lamp in series.
>

> .... Phil

I think the point of the OP was that if a short on the input side of
things, the lamp would come on, and stay on. Nothing to do with a flash
of inrush current. A totally different cup of soup, and not really of
very much relevance to many real-life situations.

Of more relevance is my 240v lamp with 2 test probes that I use to
discharge valve-amp PSUs before diving in. Works well, until the lamp
turns out to be have a broken filament. Screwdriver in my other hand
stuck in the wall 3 metres behind me, and my forefinger was numb for
several days.