Posted to rec.audio.opinion
spronk spronk is offline

Default older CD players (nad 50x, 51x, denon 615/815) vs new cd players - anyone heard both?

Hi all,

I've currently got a system consisting of Wharfedale Rubiance RB-23
standmounts, and a NAD C320BEE amp, and I'm searching around for CD
Players.

I've currently got three players that I have bought in my quest to find
good sounds:

- NAD 512 (second hand $US 40)
- Denon DCD-615 (s.h. $US 35)
- JVC XL-V131 (s.h. for $US 80 including an old 35w marantz amp)

They all play and read fine. With my system the NAD definitely sounds
nicer to my ears, much smoother mid-range than the others, and less
harsh treble. The Denon is nice and detailed, but lacks bass and is a
bit harsh. The JVC sounds much more mass-market (albeit very good
compared to most I've heard) , with strong bass and strong treble, but
whereas the denon and NAD players sound somewhat silky, the JVC sounds
a lot more like regular cotton.

I'm also looking at buying a Denon DCD-815 for $US 45, and I'm
wondering how it, and my other three players have performed for other
owners.

Finally, for owners who have upgraded to a late-model player (e.g. the
NAD C521/521BEE or Rotel's 10xx series or a new cambridge azur player),
how does it compare to the older generations in listening enjoyment and
sound quality?

I've heard almost all of the newer players are much more analogue-esque
in sound than the older players. Is it worth selling up and saving for
a new model, or is the newer technology not that much better?

Regards
Keith Humm

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On 29 Oct 2006 02:13:09 -0800, "spronk" wrote:

[...]

I have a question for you, Keith. How do you rate the C320BEE?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

"spronk" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

**Nope. There's bugger all difference. IMO, the standout machine of recent
times was the Rotel RCD971, or even the RCD951. Having said that, since
1990ish most CD players have been pretty good.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
spronk spronk is offline

paul packer wrote:
I have a question for you, Keith. How do you rate the C320BEE?

It's quite nice in my system. Certainly overall it's a lot better than
my previous amplifiers (Technics SU-Z11, Technics SA-T670 70's
Receiver, Marantz PM25 from the early 80's), but sounds a lot more
clinical. I did quite like the boomy and warm sound from the older
gear, but the NAD has it's own sound and I guess it's a lot more
foot-tappingly rhythmic. I got rid of the Marantz before I bought the
NAD 512 CD Player, so I can't directly compare (the NAD player made my
system sound quite a bit less harsh I think I mentioned), so I can't
directly compare that, but certainly the C320BEE is much more up-front.

It's still improving (only got it a few weeks back), and it's much
warmer and natural sounding than when I got it, but it's definitely
extracting a lot more of the sound.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 1 Nov 2006 02:00:37 -0800, "spronk" wrote:

paul packer wrote:
I have a question for you, Keith. How do you rate the C320BEE?

It's quite nice in my system. Certainly overall it's a lot better than
my previous amplifiers (Technics SU-Z11, Technics SA-T670 70's
Receiver, Marantz PM25 from the early 80's), but sounds a lot more
clinical. I did quite like the boomy and warm sound from the older
gear, but the NAD has it's own sound and I guess it's a lot more
foot-tappingly rhythmic. I got rid of the Marantz before I bought the
NAD 512 CD Player, so I can't directly compare (the NAD player made my
system sound quite a bit less harsh I think I mentioned), so I can't
directly compare that, but certainly the C320BEE is much more up-front.

It's still improving (only got it a few weeks back), and it's much
warmer and natural sounding than when I got it, but it's definitely
extracting a lot more of the sound.

I think you'll find it'll improve yet. I've generally found NAD stuff
to be warmer and "darker" than Marantz, but I guess that's subject to
interpretation. Given the general run of comments on the Net I'd be
surprised if you're not satisfied with it in the long run.