JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel

Old July 14th 15, 07:37 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

Default JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel

Randy Yates:

Apologies for any vaguery in my latest
post.

#1. I EBayed the replacement RX-515V
one year ago, and it has been satisfactory
almost up to today(when I discovered no
sound from my center speaker).

#2. All speakers are 8ohm. This Receiver
specifies 8~16ohm load. My original
515 went for 19 years in this configuration
before losing its center channel audio
last June.
Old July 15th 15, 02:46 AM posted to rec.audio.tech

Randy Yates:

I connected the center speaker to one of the LR mains on
this receiver and it produces glorious sound. And I'm not
rough with my gear and my wire terminations are neatly
stripped and no stray strands.
Old July 16th 15, 02:19 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

The latest:

I've discovered that I can get center channel - for a while -
by moving the speaker wire around in the center ch
connector on the receiver. Last night I stripped off an
extra long length of wire, so as to bend it over to double
the thickness.

That worked - last night. This morning I turned it back on,
and got center for about ten minutes before it cut out again.
I fiddled with it some more, and discovered that by having the
speaker wire(16AWG by the way) *barely in* the connecting
terminal, with the locking tab left up, I get center pretty
consistently. If I pushed the positive in all the way - NO
center. If I jiggled it - intermittent center. So we'll
see how long it produces center with the positive barely hanging
in there. Different times of day, the center works, other times,
not.

My original RX-515, which is still in my cellar, is definitely blown
center, at the component level. No amount of jiggling or
doubling over the copper strands is gonna pass sound through
the center speaker with that thing.

And the sad part of all this is JVC is OUT of the home audio
business! Here they had a great mid-price surround-sound
receiver for mid-1990s, ample power, connections for TWO
tape loops(great because I have an EQ on one and my
tape deck on another), and a phono input.

I couldn't give two ****s about HDMI inputs, bluetooth, and X.1
digital surround if I can't hook all of my analog gear up to it!!

So I'm going to buy every remaining RX-515V out
there, at least just for parts interchangeability.
Old February 12th 16, 09:48 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:19:37 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> The latest:
>

> I've discovered that I can get center channel - for a while -
> by moving the speaker wire around in the center ch
> connector on the receiver. Last night I stripped off an
> extra long length of wire, so as to bend it over to double
> the thickness.
>

> That worked - last night. This morning I turned it back on,
> and got center for about ten minutes before it cut out again.
> I fiddled with it some more, and discovered that by having the
> speaker wire(16AWG by the way) *barely in* the connecting
> terminal, with the locking tab left up, I get center pretty
> consistently. If I pushed the positive in all the way - NO
> center. If I jiggled it - intermittent center. So we'll
> see how long it produces center with the positive barely hanging
> in there. Different times of day, the center works, other times,
> not.
>

> My original RX-515, which is still in my cellar, is definitely blown
> center, at the component level. No amount of jiggling or
> doubling over the copper strands is gonna pass sound through
> the center speaker with that thing.
>

> And the sad part of all this is JVC is OUT of the home audio
> business! Here they had a great mid-price surround-sound
> receiver for mid-1990s, ample power, connections for TWO
> tape loops(great because I have an EQ on one and my
> tape deck on another), and a phono input.
>

> I couldn't give two ****s about HDMI inputs, bluetooth, and X.1
> digital surround if I can't hook all of my analog gear up to it!!
>

> So I'm going to buy every remaining RX-515V out
> there, at least just for parts interchangeability.

Update - Overdue:

Early December, took one of my 515s to
a stereo repair place near where I work.
Basically every solder point on the
'mother' board needed redoing, and the
tech also adjusted the output bias.

Thing sounds like new, better than
new, again! Tight, focused sound.
Old December 26th 17, 08:33 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 at 7:07:12 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel
>
> I have confirmed that it is the receiver's output that is blown, not the speakee.
>
> Is there anything I can check inside - something hopefully simple as a fuse or thermal breaker?
>
> This is a 20-year old surround sound work horse with plenty inputs for all my analog gear, and replacements are few and far between.
>

> Thanks for any suggestions on how to troubleshoot!

I've had this RX for a long time and I use to use it mainly for listening to LP records. The sound went out 10 years back and I replaced the Power amplifiers inside the receiver. I recall 4 of them 2 per channel, I think, these were the old oval alu encapsulated amplifier chips, same used in similar receivers, mixers and instruments of the time. The sound went out again about a year ago and I am sure it is the power amps again. So the receiver is fixable if it is the power amps whcih typically is, if sound goes out. The same thing happened to a sound mixer of the 80's I still have, I replaced the power amps and it is still working to this day.